Where is the Economy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Where is the Economy?

Good high level article.

Key take away: the economic infrastructure is ratcheting downward.  This should concern everyone, as it is what happens when you essentially create a two-tier economic system, as the Obama minions have actively done. We are rapidly becoming a country of elites, government workers, professionals, and corporate mahogany rows, and the people who serve them.

"But many of the jobs being created to replace those lost in the recession are lower-paying, such as retail sales clerks and restaurant workers."

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-jobs-unemployment-economy-20140606-story.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-jobs-unemployment-economy-20140606-story.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from babytut. Show babytut's posts

Re: Where is the Economy?

37.2%: Percentage Not in Labor Force Remains at 36-Year High
    June 6, 2014 

(CNSNews.com) - The percentage of American civilians 16 or older who do not have a job and are not actively seeking one remained at a 36-year high in May, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

In December, April, and now May, the labor force participation rate has been 62.8 percent. That means that 37.2 percent were not participating in the labor force during those months.

Before December, the last time the labor force participation rate sunk as low as 62.8 percent was February 1978, when it was also 62.8 percent. At that time, Jimmy Carter was president.

In April, the number of those not in the labor force hit a record high of 92,018,000. In May, that number declined by 9,000 to 92,009,000. Yet, the participation rate remained the same from April to May at 62.8 percent.

The labor force, according to BLS, is that part of the civilian noninstitutional population that either has a job or has actively sought one in the last four weeks. The civilian noninstitutional population consists of people 16 or older, who are not on active duty in the military or in an institution such as a prison, nursing home, or mental hospital.

In May, according to BLS, the nation’s civilian noninstitutional population, consisting of all people 16 or older who were not in the military or an institution, hit 247,622,000. Of those, 155,613,000 participated in the labor force by either holding a job or actively seeking one.

The 155,613,000 who participated in the labor force equaled only 62.8 percent of the 247,622,000 civilian noninstitutional population, matching (along with the 62.8 percent rate in May) the lowest labor force participation rate in 36 years.

At no time during the presidencies of Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton or George W. Bush, did such a small percentage of the civilian non-institutional population either hold a job or at least actively seek one.

When President Barack Obama took office in January 2009, the labor force participation rate was 65.7 percent. By the beginning of 2013, the start of Obama’s second term, it had dropped to 63.6 percent. Since January 2014, when the participation rate was 63.0,it has continued to decline, hitting a 36-year low of 62.8 percent in May.

People in the civilian noninstitutional population who did not have a job and did not actively seek one in the last four weeks are considered “not in the labor force.” The number of Americans not in the labor force has climbed by 11,480,000 since Obama took office, rising from 80,529,000 in January 2009 to 92,009,000 in May 2014.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

it is still going in a positive direction with over 200k jobs added in May.  Are we back in the Clinton years, no but we are better off than 6 years ago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

it is still going in a positive direction with over 200k jobs added in May.  Are we back in the Clinton years, no but we are better off than 6 years ago.

[/QUOTE]

We are slightly better off than when the recession ended in 2009. That is precisely the point. Recessions are inevitable, and until Obama took office, so was a recovery.....Instead, Obama's wild government spending sprees and regulatory Nanny State policies led to ruin, the worst recovery from a recession since WW2.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Well, no we are not better off than we were six years ago, by any measure, we are back to where we were 6 years ago(static universe).

During that time, about another 15 million entered the workforce, leaving us with a deficit of about 8 million jobs.

So, in economic terms, (dynamic universe, I.e. Reality) we are worse off than we were six years ago, by about 8 million jobs..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from babytut. Show babytut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no, we are worse off. 93 million are out of the work force.  we have the lowest workforce participation rate since the great depression.  family income has fallen from 55k/2009 to 52k/2014.

obambi is the worst president in american history.

200k jobs is pathetic. we need 350-400k per month just to break even.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to babytut's comment:

[QUOTE]

no, we are worse off. 93 million are out of the work force.  we have the lowest workforce participation rate since the great depression.  family income has fallen from 55k/2009 to 52k/2014.

[/QUOTE]

Don't expect the progressives like steven11 to understand that during the entire Obama administration, month in, month out, we have done nothing but fall further behind.  I'm beginning to think this is beyond their comprehension.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from babytut. Show babytut's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't expect the progressives like steven11 to understand that during the entire Obama administration, month in, month out, we have done nothing but fall further behind.  I'm beginning to think this is beyond their comprehension.

[/QUOTE]

not to mention 1250 consecutive days with gas per gallon over 3.25, something this complete fool campaigned (from gas stations) on.

neve seen anything like this in my life

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from enuffisenuff. Show enuffisenuff's posts

It is being reported today that Obama will sign an executive order to relieve school loan debt.  Something about "not paying until you work".  What good does that do when people my age cannot find jobs anywhere?  What good does a re-write of my school loan do when the unemployment rate for my generation is at 15%?  When 1-of-4 of us is living with our parents?

I have said it before and I will say it again, after voting for Obama twice, I will never vote for a Democrat again.  I will always vote for a conservative, fiscal, adult, Republican.  That is where the jobs are at.

All my friends feel the same way.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to enuffisenuff's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is being reported today that Obama will sign an executive order to relieve school loan debt.  Something about "not paying until you work".  What good does that do when people my age cannot find jobs anywhere?  What good does a re-write of my school loan do when the unemployment rate for my generation is at 15%?  When 1-of-4 of us is living with our parents?

I have said it before and I will say it again, after voting for Obama twice, I will never vote for a Democrat again.  I will always vote for a conservative, fiscal, adult, Republican.  That is where the jobs are at.

[/QUOTE]

You have friends?

[/QUOTE]

Wonder if certain liberal individuals will accuse you of 'trolling'? Eh....doubt it....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

The good it does is that it makes you dependent on the government, and makes you comfortable in not working.  after all, who will you vote for? The guy who wants you to honor your obligations, or the guy, who under the auspices of being fair, steals money from others by allowing you not to pay on your obligations?

Why work? You will. Just have to turn your paycheck over to the government.  Better to stay at mom's and wait for the inheritance.

That so many of you kiddies are seeing through this is encouraging.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You have friends?

[/QUOTE]

Wonder if certain liberal individuals will accuse you of 'trolling'? Eh....doubt it....

[/QUOTE]

Jed's just jealous.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We are slightly better off than when the recession ended in 2009. That is precisely the point. Recessions are inevitable, and until Obama took office, so was a recovery.....Instead, Obama's wild government spending sprees and regulatory Nanny State policies led to ruin, the worst recovery from a recession since WW2.

[/QUOTE]

If you don't like Obama you will find things to complain about all day long.  The key factors are working in his favor. Unemployment is down, jobs are being added each month, the stock market is better along with 401's. Houses sell quicker and the average price of a house is going up.

Even services which people cut out are coming back.  Nail salons are everywhere, landscapers are seen more, hotels are running 90 percent.

We can play this game all day.  The economy is not where it was under Clinton but it is better the day Bush 43 left office.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Practically, I don't think it does much of anything since student loans were always easy to defer.

Tell your friends that despite inheriting the worst economy in 80 years, there have been more jobs added in six years under Obama than eight years under Bush.  More jobs added under Clinton than Bush 1 and Reagan combined.  More jobs added in 4 years by Carter than 6 years of Nixon.  More jobs added by both LBJ and Kennedy than Eisenhower's eight years.

I don't actually think that's a responsible measure by which to cast a vote, but if you choose to, at least make yourself aware of the facts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fall further behind what?  Month 1 we lost 798,000 jobs.  Why do you feel entitled to a turnaround?  Bush had the economic pedal to the metal his entire administration - tax cuts, gov't expansion, federal funds rate near zero even as housing was exploding - and he still only managed to add 1.1 million jobs.  Why would your baseline expectations be a million jobs / month over the reality of his first day in office?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fall further behind what?  Month 1 we lost 798,000 jobs.  Why do you feel entitled to a turnaround?  Bush had the economic pedal to the metal his entire administration - tax cuts, gov't expansion, federal funds rate near zero even as housing was exploding - and he still only managed to add 1.1 million jobs.  Why would your baseline expectations be a million jobs / month over the reality of his first day in office?

[/QUOTE]

Nice try at making this- Bush/Obama thing.  What it is is a big government/small government thing.  Big government has failed us.  Even Lagarde is backpedaling on the prior claims that austerity is bad, as the countries going through austerity have higher growth and are close to balancing budgets.  Krugman is too much of a short ideologue to admit he is wrong.

The other point is that you miss the whole job-force-is-growing thing.  The pollution has grown, the workforce has grown.  Comparing this to workforce numbers from six years ago is just plain stupid.

We continue, month in/month out to lose ground at a rate of about 100,000 jobs.  That's a growing hole, not a recovery.

so to summarize: Bush was bad, Obama is worse.  Big government is crushing the economy. We are falling further behind. The solution is to spend less, not more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice try at making this- Bush/Obama thing.  What it is is a big government/small government thing.  Big government has failed us.  Even Lagarde is backpedaling on the prior claims that austerity is bad, as the countries going through austerity have higher growth and are close to balancing budgets.  Krugman is too much of a short ideologue to admit he is wrong.

The other point is that you miss the whole job-force-is-growing thing.  The pollution has grown, the workforce has grown.  Comparing this to workforce numbers from six years ago is just plain stupid.

We continue, month in/month out to lose ground at a rate of about 100,000 jobs.  That's a growing hole, not a recovery.

so to summarize: Bush was bad, Obama is worse.  Big government is crushing the economy. We are falling further behind. The solution is to spend less, not more.

[/QUOTE]

What countries reacted to the recession with austerity, and have enjoyed a faster recovery than we have?  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What countries reacted to the recession with austerity, and have enjoyed a faster recovery than we have?  

[/QUOTE]

Well, here's one:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-08/lagarde-says-imf-got-it-wrong-on-rallying-u-k-economy.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-08/lagarde-says-imf-got-it-wrong-on-rallying-u-k-economy.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-08/lagarde-says-imf-got-it-wrong-on-rallying-u-k-economy.html

Key:

"A year after the IMF’s chief economist, Oliver Blanchard, said U.K. budget cutting risked “playing with fire,” the Washington-based lender said in April the U.K. economy will grow 2.9 percent this year, the fastest pace among the Group of Seven nations."

last time I checked, 2.9% is bigger than -1%.

Progressives need to give up on the we need to go further in debt to fix the economy plan.  It is just blindingly stupid, does not, cannot, and will not work.  Krugman is a fool.

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts