Who will be our next new senator?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Who will be our next new senator?

Many believe that the next Secretary of State will be John Kerry.

Mrs. Warren probably would have become senator in any event.

But back to the question...  Who do you think?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Who will be our next new senator?

In response to Firewind's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you think Joe Kennedy III is ready? 

btw....how does he get to be a 3rd when is grandfather was a Bobby?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I think you'll definitely see Brown run again. There was some speculation in my office today that Deval Patrick might go for it..but I doubt that will happen. I don't see Patrick leaving office early.

I'd like to see an outsider run..but  senate races are tough..so it will be someone with money and name recognition.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to UserName99's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Firewind's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you think Joe Kennedy III is ready? 

btw....how does he get to be a 3rd when is grandfather was a Bobby?

[/QUOTE]

No.

Interesting question.  Answer is because his dad is a 2nd.  How that works out, I have no idea, but the Kennedy's are pretty weird

[/QUOTE]

Found it.  Joe Kennedy Jr was the big brother of Jack, Bobby, Ted and the girls.  He was killed in action in WWII. 

So the next Joe (as in "for oil") was given a II, and his son, a III.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  Still looks like they took a little liberty with the numbering, but anyhoo I wish him well. 

I think Brownie could win this open seat fairly easily in a special election.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

But who do you think Gov. Patrick will appoint the next new senator? 

When I said in the OP that Mrs. Warren probably would have been the next new senator anyway, it's in that manner.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Did they change the rules back to a governor appointment? I thought it was now special election?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did they change the rules back to a governor appointment? I thought it was now special election?

[/QUOTE]

I think Patrick would appoint a temporary like he did with Teddy(Paul Kirk), but there would be a special election.  That temporary would have likely been Warren, but who is plan B?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

The job of U.S.Senator is too big for Brown. He is a lightweight political grandstander. The Massachusetts Legislature will return the power back to the Governor to appoint a person that he wants to fill a US Senator vacancy. You will recall that power was taken away from than governor romney when Kerry ran for President

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

GreginMeffa that is politics and it is played in every statehouse in Union . For the statement that the dems are just fine with it how about the gerrymandering which is also common practice that GOP governors got throught GOP controlled statehouses to ensure the protection of GOP incumbents and which endangers Democratic elected officials at the federal and state levels.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

I can't see anyone other than Brown winning the seat if it becomes open. Who else could the dems possibly throw at him to take it?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I agree that it was a bad move by the dems to take the power away from the Governor..just because he was a republican. Of course...it was poetic justice that Brown won the special election..should have taught them a lesson.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree that it was a bad move by the dems to take the power away from the Governor..just because he was a republican. Of course...it was poetic justice that Brown won the special election..should have taught them a lesson.

[/QUOTE]

The Mass Dem machine is immune from learning a lesson or shame.

They re-elect Tierney with Gov Patrick at his side.

The have the Parole Board problem.

They have the entrenched cronyism in job appointments

They support KIII for Rep based on only a name

Let's see what are the odds on reversing the law to give Patrick the power to appoint, there were just elections and Patrick isn't running for a Mass elected office again so he has nothing to lose and in two years the public wouldn't hold any legislature responsible; I'd say the odds are pretty good.  That would allow the Gov to give the seat to Marsha Chokely after all she deserved Ted's seat, or they could just move KIII up to Senate right away because we know that Warren was only a place holder for KIII anyway.

So if it is a special election; its a freebie for any incumbant to run for so the Dem choices would be interesting.

Brown should go for it but I'm not sure if he would.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Mass Dem machine is immune from learning a lesson or shame.

They re-elect Tierney with Gov Patrick at his side.

The have the Parole Board problem.

They have the entrenched cronyism in job appointments

They support KIII for Rep based on only a name

Let's see what are the odds on reversing the law to give Patrick the power to appoint, there were just elections and Patrick isn't running for a Mass elected office again so he has nothing to lose and in two years the public wouldn't hold any legislature responsible; I'd say the odds are pretty good.  That would allow the Gov to give the seat to Marsha Chokely after all she deserved Ted's seat, or they could just move KIII up to Senate right away because we know that Warren was only a place holder for KIII anyway.

So if it is a special election; its a freebie for any incumbant to run for so the Dem choices would be interesting.

Brown should go for it but I'm not sure if he would.

[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with too much of what you've said here. This is one of the reasons I believe firmly in balanced government. I don't like either party to have too much power. That there are not more republicans in MA state government, I blame on the on the MA republicans.

Brown's election to US senate proves that there is an appetite for moderate republicans in the state..but I think the republican committee just doesn't put the effort in to recruit candidates. Dems run largely unopposed in this state and that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Brown will go for it. One of the reasons Brown lost this time around is because we also had the national elections. This got the dems out in full force. Brown would have had to have 200k dems vote for him in order to stand a chance...and that just didn't happen. On an off election..or even a mid term election..( and a bit of a better campaign strategy by Brown) and the outcome would be very different.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

If Kerry takes a position with the Obama admin, Brown should easily capture his seat.  If that doesn't happen I suspect Brown will figure heavily in the next Governors election.  He's a good guy and the people like him.  They will find a spot for him. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Brown is such a wonderful guy.  He was really so concerned about the working class that he voted against several different job bills . He is such a wonderful guy and he proved he was a champion for women issues too by voting against women's reproductive rights and equal pay for women.

He got beat and will be beaten again in this state because he is on the wrong side of the issues that a majority of this state citizens care for.

25. This post has been removed.