Why is the Left attacking "stand your ground" laws?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Why is the Left attacking

In response to Beach-Spider's comment:

Sorry to say that none of you were in FL prior to the enactment of the 'SYG' law/s.

The original purpose was to provide property owners a means from being 'ripped off'and simply having to wait for the police to show up.

Had the property owner of displayed a weapon or shot the vandal/s they could be charged accordingly!

So the Republicans came up with a stand your ground law in order to enable self preservation of property.

But the original statute was loosely written to the extent that one could murder another simply by inviting them onto their property, killing them and then 'drop a weapon' beside the body before calling the police.

One can be certain that many a murder has been planned and accomplished because of the loop-holes in the new 2005 statute.

Many changes and interpretations have been made to this extremely controversial law since 2005.

Now .. Due to this controversial trial one can be certain more changes will be forthcoming.

Yes .. Florida has a really 'screwed up' legal system for sure ...

~ 'TRY IT' - 'YOU'LL LIKE IT' ~

Thank you for this.    There is one poster in particular on the Globe news site who comments (not BDC, but the pay site) who lives in Florida, who has been one of the most informed, if not the most informative poster I have seen on this issue.   He has taken more time to discuss this issue than anyone else; he feels that strongly about it.   

People don't want to listen.   They don't want to hear it directly from the source.  The law / measure has been greatly distorted, as you say.   The original intent is no longer the rule.   

He, and others from Florida (such as yourself, Beach), say that you have to see it and live it to believe it.   Florida is the place to be if you shoot someone dead, because you will more than likely "walk", but if you shoot your gun up in the air, you will land yourself a prison sentence.   Yeah, messed up for sure.   :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

There is one poster in particular on the Globe news site who comments (not BDC, but the pay site) who lives in Florida, who has been one of the most informed, if not the most informative poster I have seen on this issue.   He has taken more time to discuss this issue than anyone else; he feels that strongly about it.

Ask him to post here. I'd love to see what he has to say.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

If you want to stand your ground ..... go enlist in the military ...... this isn't Tombstone of the late 1800's !

You miss the point, except the one on top of your head.

You can choose to flee, whihc in most cases is the right thing to do.

However, to demand as a matter of law that you find a way to flee is simply bizzare, typicla progressive logic.  Protect the criminal, scr3w the victim.

I rather have a point on my head then be known as " Copper skeeter " the little man with the brass @zz and the lead head ..... I never said anything about protecting any criminal ...... I don't like it when a State legalizes frontier justice and to fight that law instead of debating the likes of use ...which is just a waste of time .... I will use the only two means that I have ...  first one is to vote against anyone who is against background checks to buy firearms and second I will use the power of the purse , I won't visit any state that has a stand your ground law on the their books .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

If you want to stand your ground ..... go enlist in the military ...... this isn't Tombstone of the late 1800's !

I hear what you're saying but what would you do if someone attacked you? Grabbed ahold of you and started pummeling you? Would you curl up in a ball and hope for the best or fight back? Now, I realize you can probably take care of yourself in a situation like that but many can't. Most people can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. There has to be some law that allows one to be able to use lethal force if needed. 

I repect your opinion I just think the law is wrong ....... I won't state results from studies because those results can be made to look positive or negative depending on what side the outfit is on that puts it together ...... I'm against violence of any kind

btw ..... I can only go toe to toe for seconds now but I workout enough so I can still tattoo someone's head and gut enough with my right and left hands to get me some space .... at one time I was able to step on someone's feet and use their head as a speed bag

stay cool and safe ... talk to you later

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

However, to demand as a matter of law that you find a way to flee is simply bizzare, typicla progressive logic.  Protect the criminal, scr3w the victim.

I rather have a point on my head then be known as " Copper skeeter " the little man with the brass @zz and the lead head ..... I never said anything about protecting any criminal ...... I don't like it when a State legalizes frontier justice and to fight that law instead of debating the likes of use ...which is just a waste of time .... I will use the only two means that I have ...  first one is to vote against anyone who is against background checks to buy firearms and second I will use the power of the purse , I won't visit any state that has a stand your ground law on the their books .

And I don't like it when a government tries to emasulate people and make them dependent o nthe state.

Nor do I like you typifying common sense as frontier justice.  You are showing yourself to be careless and thoughtful. Stand your ground isn't even in play in the Zimmerman trial, yet you jump on ity as some big conspiracy from "the man" to hold you down.

Let me ask you this:  

Do you think the justice system worked as it should in the Zimmerman case?

If yes, then shut up.

If no, then go learn something about the justice system, review the case, and then shut up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I hear what you're saying but what would you do if someone attacked you? Grabbed ahold of you and started pummeling you? Would you curl up in a ball and hope for the best or fight back? Now, I realize you can probably take care of yourself in a situation like that but many can't. Most people can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. There has to be some law that allows one to be able to use lethal force if needed. 

I repect your opinion I just think the law is wrong ....... I won't state results from studies because those results can be made to look positive or negative depending on what side the outfit is on that puts it together ...... I'm against violence of any kind

btw ..... I can only go toe to toe for seconds now but I workout enough so I can still tattoo someone's head and gut enough with my right and left hands to get me some space .... at one time I was able to step on someone's feet and use their head as a speed bag

stay cool and safe ... talk to you later

I too am against violence unless it's for self defense only. These days I would walk away if I can versus my younger dumber days when I didn't. But I've grown up...a little anyway : )

You stay cool and safe too...hopefully you don't have any tough calls on duty. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Ive always thought that the first line of defense against a burgler or your every day petty criminal should be yourself. The police should be thought of as backup ONLY. It takes time, precious time, for the police to get there, time that in most cases you dont have. I hate the thought of just being a person who lives at mercy of criminals, if someone threatens my livlihood i wouldnt think twice of fighting to the death to protect it. Id rather die than live my life in fear.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

WDYWN:

"Shooting someone is the least manly way to defeat a foe possible."

Bet he'd never say this to a military veteran

Could someone please list the "manly" ways to defeat a foe so we can all be "men"???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

It's not just "the left" that is questioning the Stand your Ground law. There are a lot of people who are questioning it..and even though Zimmerman elected not to use the "Stand your ground" as a defense..it was part of the jury instruction..and according to the jurors who were interviewed..kinowledge of this law informed their decision.

Any law which legalizes the killing of a human being should be looked at. It's a shame that it took this incident to shine the light on these flawed laws.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

No, it does not legalize killing.  It does, however, enable it by giving what appears to be an "easy out / justification" to the shooter.   

You may consider it legalization of murder because of the appearance of the ease of justification for the shooter, but that's a far cry from saying that the law makes murder legal.   The law grants a disturbing form of "immunity" to the shooter for sure.  

Sorry if I I took your statement too literally, and it's not what you meant to say.  What's legal is the judgement call to shoot to prevent your own death in a confrontation, and not to have to retreat first.   Don't mean to give you a hard time  -- I'm a nitpicker by nature.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

[QUOTE]There is one poster in particular on the Globe news site who comments (not BDC, but the pay site) who lives in Florida, who has been one of the most informed, if not the most informative poster I have seen on this issue.   He has taken more time to discuss this issue than anyone else; he feels that strongly about it.

Ask him to post here. I'd love to see what he has to say.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

[/QUOTE]

I'd love it if he posted here.  You would appreciate him.   He would be a unique voice, that's for sure.   

The guy is so valued, people tell him they look forward to his posts.   I have learned from him.   OTOH, he also stirs up controversy because he knows from whence he speaks, and can debate a point without skipping a beat.   Lately, he has had a number of detractors, re: his statements regarding Florida laws.    People do not want to hear it.   

His opinion on the RS cover is pretty much "meh" BTW.   :)   

He likes living in Florida for the weather, but he has issues with the laws, the racism, etc.   According to him, if Florida could outlaw allowing all minorities to vote, it would.   He does not hold back on telling it like it is.   

I absolutely love him.  hahahaha.  He's retired now, and raised his (original) family here, so he's from the northeast.   He plays golf, so when he's off the site for a while, that's where he is.    It sounds like his online posting time is pretty full, but you never know.  :)  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]Well, if we curl up in the fetal position, then we can be confused for a fetus, and the criminal can simply abort us

You know, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. Worms could put your matter and energy to far better use.

[/QUOTE]

Yah,  I thought you would like that one.  Two birds with one stone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

[QUOTE]

It's not just "the left" that is questioning the Stand your Ground law. There are a lot of people who are questioning it..and even though Zimmerman elected not to use the "Stand your ground" as a defense..it was part of the jury instruction..and according to the jurors who were interviewed..kinowledge of this law informed their decision.

Any law which legalizes the killing of a human being should be looked at. It's a shame that it took this incident to shine the light on these flawed laws.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

No, it does not legalize killing.  It does, however, enable it by giving what appears to be an "easy out / justification" to the shooter.   

You may consider it legalization of murder because of the appearance of the ease of justification for the shooter, but that's a far cry from saying that the law makes murder legal.   The law grants a disturbing form of "immunity" to the shooter for sure.  

Sorry if I I took your statement too literally, and it's not what you meant to say.  What's legal is the judgement call to shoot to prevent your own death in a confrontation, and not to have to retreat first.   Don't mean to give you a hard time  -- I'm a nitpicker by nature.  :)

[/QUOTE]

or, what's legal is "did you really try to get away?"

Either puts some burden on someone to PROVE something.

Considering we beleive in private property and individual rights, the burden should be in the direction of protection, not fleeing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

And I don't like it when a government tries to emasulate people and make them dependent o nthe state.

Nor do I like you typifying common sense as frontier justice.  You are showing yourself to be careless and thoughtful. Stand your ground isn't even in play in the Zimmerman trial, yet you jump on ity as some big conspiracy from "the man" to hold you down.

Let me ask you this:  

If yes, then shut up.

If no, then go learn something about the justice system, review the case, and then shut up.

no the justice system didn't work ....... if the justice system did work Zimmerman with his record never would have gotten a license to own a gun ......

btw skeeter the heat must be getting to you ... that is the only reason why you would feel foggy enough to tell me to shut up .....

Semper Fi !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Sister,

"btw skeeter the heat must be getting to you ... that is the only reason why you would feel foggy enough to tell me to shut up..."

Perhaps skeeter should stick his head in a big bowl of ice cold water to clear his head?                                                            

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

Sister,

"btw skeeter the heat must be getting to you ... that is the only reason why you would feel foggy enough to tell me to shut up..."

Perhaps skeeter should stick his head in a big bowl of ice cold water to clear his head?                                                            

skeeter could remove his head from a place where the sun don't shine .... but I think he likes the view of his own large intestine

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to Beach-Spider's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sorry to say that none of you were in FL prior to the enactment of the 'SYG' law/s.

The original purpose was to provide property owners a means from being 'ripped off'and simply having to wait for the police to show up.

Had the property owner of displayed a weapon or shot the vandal/s they could be charged accordingly!

So the Republicans came up with a stand your ground law in order to enable self preservation of property.

But the original statute was loosely written to the extent that one could murder another simply by inviting them onto their property, killing them and then 'drop a weapon' beside the body before calling the police.

One can be certain that many a murder has been planned and accomplished because of the loop-holes in the new 2005 statute.

Many changes and interpretations have been made to this extremely controversial law since 2005.

Now .. Due to this controversial trial one can be certain more changes will be forthcoming.

Yes .. Florida has a really 'screwed up' legal system for sure ...

~ 'TRY IT' - 'YOU'LL LIKE IT' ~

Thank you for this.    There is one poster in particular on the Globe news site who comments (not BDC, but the pay site) who lives in Florida, who has been one of the most informed, if not the most informative poster I have seen on this issue.   He has taken more time to discuss this issue than anyone else; he feels that strongly about it.   

People don't want to listen.   They don't want to hear it directly from the source.  The law / measure has been greatly distorted, as you say.   The original intent is no longer the rule.   

He, and others from Florida (such as yourself, Beach), say that you have to see it and live it to believe it.   Florida is the place to be if you shoot someone dead, because you will more than likely "walk", but if you shoot your gun up in the air, you will land yourself a prison sentence.   Yeah, messed up for sure.   :)

[/QUOTE]

yogafriend,

Thank you for posting this.

You always bring something of value when you come to the political forums.

I know it is not your esp. cup of tea  because of the hostility that often occurs here. Just want you to know your contributions are appreciated.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Lead head beats empty head.  Catch my drift?

Do you think the justice system, the trial, was conducted in a fair way?  If not, tell me, specifically, how.

As I see it, the only fronteir justice going on here is from the perpetually emotional and angry left, screaming for Zimmerman's head on a pike.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Let me ask you this:  

If yes, then shut up.

no the justice system didn't work ....... if the justice system did work Zimmerman with his record never would have gotten a license to own a gun ......

btw skeeter the heat must be getting to you ... that is the only reason why you would feel foggy enough to tell me to shut up .....

Semper Fi !

The you are willfully blind.  People like you are a danger to the freedoms the rest of us. 

the trial was telecast for all to see, there were no charges of racism as part of the trial, there was no "stand your ground" defense, there was no deference to the defendant (if anything, it was the opposite).

Face it, you are for mob rule, not the rule of law. You are operating against a fair and honest trial, because the result didn't meet your emotional needs. You apparently need to  sacrifice Zimmerman on the altar of a phony racism charge that is rumbling around in your progressive circles.  Isn't Trayvon's death enough of a tragedy for you?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Do you think the justice system, the trial, was conducted in a fair way?  If not, tell me, specifically, how.

As I see it, the only fronteir justice going on here is from the perpetually emotional and angry left, screaming for Zimmerman's head on a pike.

I don't want Zimmerman's head on a pike .... I want it examined for what type of personality disorders he has that caused him to assualt a police officer, his girlfreind and finally Martin . You remember that Slate article that we both read said that Zimmerman's action were stupid and dangerous ... he has a history of doing repeating those actions that puts the public at risk .... that isn't normal

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't want Zimmerman's head on a pike .... I want it examined for what type of personality disorders he has that caused him to assualt a police officer, his girlfreind and finally Martin . You remember that Slate article that we both read said that Zimmerman's action were stupid and dangerous ... he has a history of doing repeating those actions that puts the public at risk .... that isn't normal

[/QUOTE]

Was he convicted of the assault charges on the officer and girlfriend? If so then there is something very wrong with Florida gun laws. In MA if you are convicted of such crimes you will be denied a handgun permit....rightfully so.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Let me ask you this:  

If yes, then shut up.

Semper Fi !

The you are willfully blind.  People like you are a danger to the freedoms the rest of us. 

the trial was telecast for all to see, there were no charges of racism as part of the trial, there was no "stand your ground" defense, there was no deference to the defendant (if anything, it was the opposite).

Face it, you are for mob rule, not the rule of law. You are operating against a fair and honest trial, because the result didn't meet your emotional needs. You apparently need to  sacrifice Zimmerman on the altar of a phony racism charge that is rumbling around in your progressive circles.  Isn't Trayvon's death enough of a tragedy for you?

where did I use the term racism in this discussion ..... you just can't stand the fact that this tragedy is just another example of why we need background checks for firearm ownership more than it was about racism .... Zimmerman was a nut pure and simple .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Was he convicted of the assault charges on the officer and girlfriend? If so then there is something very wrong with Florida gun laws. In MA if you are convictedof such crimes you will be denied a handgun permit....rightfully so.

he had a history of violence acts .... those acts caused the authorities to intervene .... that should be enough of a history for anyone not just Zimmerman to go through a battery of test or questions given by the State before that person should be issued a permit to carry a firearm .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Let me ask you this:  

If yes, then shut up.

Semper Fi !

where did I use the term racism in this discussion ..... you just can't stand the fact that this tragedy is just another example of why we need background checks for firearm ownership more than it was about racism .... Zimmerman was a nut pure and simple .

The court has spoken, and you claim the judgement was unfair. Zimmerman's right to own a gun was not brought I yto evidence.

but, keep moving the goal posts, keep claiming justice was not served. Keep stirring the pot to suit your perpetual outrage while you sit in your easy chair.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

Was he convicted of the assault charges on the officer and girlfriend? If so then there is something very wrong with Florida gun laws. In MA if you are convictedof such crimes you will be denied a handgun permit....rightfully so.

he had a history of violence acts .... those acts caused the authorities to intervene .... that should be enough of a history for anyone not just Zimmerman to go through a battery of test or questions given by the State before that person should be issued a permit to carry a firearm .

[/QUOTE]

Aren't those goal poste getting heavy as you move them?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts