Why Isn't the NRA Arguing the Trayvon Martin Tragedy Could Have Been Averted If He Only Had A Gun?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: Why Isn't the NRA Arguing the Trayvon Martin Tragedy Could Have Been Averted If He Only Had A Gun?

So, you want the NRA to do what President Obama did?  That is, inflame the case and divide the country with a hypothetical like:

"If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin"

This is why the left fails.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Re: Why Isn't the NRA Arguing the Trayvon Martin Tragedy Could Have Been Averted If He Only Had A Gun?

Good point, but as it happens Trayvon Martin fits a particular profile, one the NRA spends a lot money working to convince its followers they need to guns to protect themselves from.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

So, you want the NRA to do what President Obama did?  That is, inflame the case and divide the country with a hypothetical like:

I hear people bring this up, every day, but they never mention the Pro Zimmerman contingent on the right who written countless articles, spent much time on TV, and the internet putting together a profile of Trayvon that justifies him being killed by establishing him as thug, and no small kid.  Obama simply stated something that was obvious, if he had a son with Michelle he would be black.  What happened on the right wing was a coordinated character assasination of a dead kid in order to back into the idea that Zimmerman was justified in killing him.  

But I am sure you have no opinion on that.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

One might expect the NRA to respond to Trayvon Martin's death by calling upon young, black men across this country to arm themselves, since the only way to truly protect oneself from the threat of violence in this country is to own a firearm.

It seems they already do. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

Sometimes, silence is much more revealing than those words actually spoken. Such is the case with respect to how the NRA has responded to the George Zimmerman verdict: with virtual silence.

One might expect the NRA to respond to Trayvon Martin's death by calling upon young, black men across this country to arm themselves, since the only way to truly protect oneself from the threat of violence in this country is to own a firearm. To exercise one's Second Amendment right.

After all, that's how it's responded to any number of shootings in which white people have been killed in mass shootings.

So I guess you are advocating that Martin should have shot Zimmerman instead of punching him?  Well I guess that would have worked for Martin, but considering he was found to be the aggressor he would have faced murder charges that would be hard to refute.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

So arming the victim of violence only works for white people?

Everyone that feels like they need to protect themselves from violence should have the opportunity to be able to arm themselves for that purpose. Color has nothing to do with it.

I think that would be the NRA position as well.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

Good point, but as it happens Trayvon Martin fits a particular profile, one the NRA spends a lot money working to convince its followers they need to guns to protect themselves from.

Really? Do you have links to information where the NRA is trying to convince its followers they need guns to protect themselves from black people?

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Jeez...can't imagine why. After all it's so normal to see groups of citizens walking around neighborhoods with loaded weapons at the ready.....sigh

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]

That is, inflame the case and divide the country with a hypothetical like:

If anyone was inflamed or divided (read: you) by that comment, it is because they may not have noticed that Obama's skin appears to be relatively black.

[/QUOTE]

A President of the United States, weighing in on a local case, because of skin color.  Are you saying the President is a racist?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I hear people bring this up, every day, but they never mention the Pro Zimmerman contingent on the right who written countless articles, spent much time on TV, and the internet putting together a profile of Trayvon that justifies him being killed by establishing him as thug, and no small kid.  Obama simply stated something that was obvious, if he had a son with Michelle he would be black.  What happened on the right wing was a coordinated character assasination of a dead kid in order to back into the idea that Zimmerman was justified in killing him.  

But I am sure you have no opinion on that.  

None of those people, the supposed pro-Zimmerman people, are President of the United States.

I expect better out of a President.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

armedmenPortland.jpg

And boom goes the dynamite

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

So arming the victim of violence only works for white people?

Only white folk should enjoy the rights afforded by the 2nd amend?

Got it.

Pull down your skirt Sally, your racism is showing again.

[/QUOTE]

Did I say any of those things?  Of course not.  you are a liar.  Proof right in your post.  I guess you can't win on the facts.

I merely pointed out that the NRA avoided doing what the president did, weigh in on a troubling local case with a hypothetical.  Both would be wrong.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to newman09's comment:

[QUOTE]

One might expect the NRA to respond to Trayvon Martin's death by calling upon young, black men across this country to arm themselves, since the only way to truly protect oneself from the threat of violence in this country is to own a firearm.

Heh, heh, heh ... ya sure thing.

What color is the sky in your alternate reality?

[/QUOTE]

"While African Americans were being terrorized by the Ku Klux Klan, where the Klan were sometimes aided by local law enforcement, the NRA setup charters to help train local African American communities to be able protect themselves. The most prominent case being in 1960 in Monroe, N.C. where the local National Association for the Advancement of Colored People head Robert Williams also chartered an NRA Rifle Club that successully defended an assault on one of their leader's homes by the KKK without casualties."

Seems that the NRA has been more helpful to  the black community than say...you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

armedmenPortland.jpg

[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA...what "boom"? Because he posted a pic of two white guys carry guns it's a "gotcha" moment? How so? 

I said it's not normal to see CITIZEN'S walking around with loaded weapons at the ready. To my knowledge citizens are black AND white are they not? And whether it's a pic of black men with weapons in the street of white men...it's STILL not a normal occurrence and therefore understandable if people would like to be armed for fear of being around people who are. 

I don't know about you but in my 46 years on this planet I've never seen anyone walking around with loaded weapons at the ready. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"While African Americans were being terrorized by the Ku Klux Klan, where the Klan were sometimes aided by local law enforcement, the NRA setup charters to help train local African American communities to be able protect themselves. The most prominent case being in 1960 in Monroe, N.C. where the local National Association for the Advancement of Colored People head Robert Williams also chartered an NRA Rifle Club that successully defended an assault on one of their leader's homes by the KKK without casualties."

Seems that the NRA has been more helpful to  the black community than say...you.

[/QUOTE]

Now THIS is...BOOM goes the dynamite

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Four famous Black NRA members:

Killer Mike: In March, the rapper wrote a statement (edited for clarity) after disclosing to the NRA that he belongs to the NRA. “We have no black NRA and until we do, I will continue to use the organization that my white counterparts use to ‘protect’ them against lawmakers infringing upon second amendment rights. I hunt and fish. …I am glad that I have an organization that has programs and classes for all of us to use at our disposal.”

Whoopi Goldberg: The Oscar winner revealed in May on ABC’s “The View” that she’s an NRA member. When guest John Stossel of Fox News asked Goldberg if she was armed at the moment, she quipped, “You don’t want to find out.”

Karl Malone: This former NBA player isn’t just a member of the NRA, he’s a hunter who’s served as a spokesman for the group. In 2010, he wrote an Op-Ed in "Sports Illustrated" in which he stated, “Gun owners get a bad rap. We're good people; we're not back in the Old West. I got my first gun when I was 8 years old -- an old .410 single shot. I’ve been around them all the time ever since, and I’m a member of the NRA. I love guns, and I respect guns. I have them in a secure place.”

James Earl Jones: The “Star Wars” actor revealed in his 1993 autobiography, "Voices and Silences," that he’s an NRA member.   “When it comes to the right wing politics of the NRA, I don’t get into that. I just believe in my right to have a gun in my house.”

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

weighing in

Of course you wouldn't say anything else.

Next topic: Obama's dog is black. Go get outraged about that.

Obama's purpose for making that statement was?????

Tell me.  I want to know.

The more we go down this road, the worse the case is getting for the left.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

armedmenPortland.jpg

[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA...what "boom"? Because he posted a pic of two white guys carry guns it's a "gotcha" moment? How so? 

I said it's not normal to see CITIZEN'S walking around with loaded weapons at the ready. To my knowledge citizens are black AND white are they not? And whether it's a pic of black men with weapons in the street of white men...it's STILL not a normal occurrence and therefore understandable if people would like to be armed for fear of being around people who are. 

I don't know about you but in my 46 years on this planet I've never seen anyone walking around with loaded weapons at the ready. 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you don't remember where this picture came from but I do.  It was one of many instances of armed citizens asserting their right to bear arms byu walking in public with weapons.  This picture is of one such instance but dozens of others were reported and each time the individuals were celebrated as patriots and the idea gained enough steam that several individuals were planning a march on washington, with guns, before the idea fell apart and the main organizer was thrown in jail.  The NRA supported this, but when the blacks took up arms to protect their communties the NRA actively advocated for gun control.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

The NRA supported this, but when the blacks took up arms to protect their communties the NRA actively advocated for gun control.  

Not exactly....kind of the opposite

"For nearly a century after, its founding in 1871, the National Rifle Association was among America’s foremost pro-gun control organizations. It was not until 1977 when the NRA that Americans know today emerged, after libertarians who equated owning a gun with the epitome of freedom and fomented widespread distrust against government—if not armed insurrection—emerged after staging a hostile leadership coup."