Why Isn't the NRA Arguing the Trayvon Martin Tragedy Could Have Been Averted If He Only Had A Gun?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

Re: Why Isn't the NRA Arguing the Trayvon Martin Tragedy Could Have Been Averted If He Only Had A Gun?

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

weighing in

Of course you wouldn't say anything else.

Next topic: Obama's dog is black. Go get outraged about that.

Obama's purpose for making that statement was?????

Tell me.  I want to know.

The more we go down this road, the worse the case is getting for the left.

The most important thing though, is that the Prez isn't even close to being a real leftist. Nixon & Rockefeller were more to the left of him on most issues. If you truly believe that than you most be a Goldwater Republican(or a Libertarian; which is just a Repub that likes to smoke weed or be mounted). Either way you will ultimately be on the wrong side of history(if you aren't already)... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Re: Why Isn't the NRA Arguing the Trayvon Martin Tragedy Could Have Been Averted If He Only Had A Gun?

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

The NRA supported this, but when the blacks took up arms to protect their communties the NRA actively advocated for gun control.  

Not exactly....kind of the opposite

"For nearly a century after, its founding in 1871, the National Rifle Association was among America’s foremost pro-gun control organizations. It was not until 1977 when the NRA that Americans know today emerged, after libertarians who equated owning a gun with the epitome of freedom and fomented widespread distrust against government—if not armed insurrection—emerged after staging a hostile leadership coup."

You are misunderstanding that which you posted.  The NRA pre 1977 was actively involved in crafting gun control legislation, including laws in California meant to curtail the ability of the Black Panthers to carry loaded weapons in public.  The black panthers started in the 60's, not the 70's.  Post 1977 NRA has worked to steadily erode gun control.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

The NRA supported this, but when the blacks took up arms to protect their communties the NRA actively advocated for gun control.  

Not exactly....kind of the opposite

"For nearly a century after, its founding in 1871, the National Rifle Association was among America’s foremost pro-gun control organizations. It was not until 1977 when the NRA that Americans know today emerged, after libertarians who equated owning a gun with the epitome of freedom and fomented widespread distrust against government—if not armed insurrection—emerged after staging a hostile leadership coup."

You are misunderstanding that which you posted.  The NRA pre 1977 was actively involved in crafting gun control legislation, including laws in California meant to curtail the ability of the Black Panthers to carry loaded weapons in public.  The black panthers started in the 60's, not the 70's.  Post 1977 NRA has worked to steadily erode gun control.  

I think you're confused. I know what I posted. UP till 1977 NRA pro-gun control. After 1977 when Libertarians took over NRA they got away from it. So from 1871 till about 1977 pro-gun control. In other words the NRA was interested in gun control LONG before the Panthers. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

And still no one from the gun rights asylum has dared say:

"If only Trayvon had a gun he could've defended himself"

"Trayvon would be alive today if he had a gun."

"More guns in the hands of victims like Trayvon would make us all safer."

It was already said by the NRA after the tragedy in CT. Did you expect them to say the same thing for each and every other incident that occurs? Not to mention how insensitive it would be for them to say such a thing right after the verdict. And if they did you'd have a hissy fit over that. Damned if they do, damned if they don't

I don't believe the NRA said any of the following...

"If only those white people in CT had a gun they could've defended themselves"

"Those white kids would be alive today if someone had a gun."

"More guns in the hands of white victims like in CT would make us all safer."

NRA did say...

"the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun”.

No mention of race at all. Just sayin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

So, you want the NRA to do what President Obama did?  That is, inflame the case and divide the country with a hypothetical like:

"If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin"

This is why the left fails.

And this is why people like you and orgs like the NRA are branded (correctly or not) as racist.

Why do you hate black people??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

So, you want the NRA to do what President Obama did?  That is, inflame the case and divide the country with a hypothetical like:

And this is why people like you and orgs like the NRA are branded (correctly or not) as racist.

I honestly don't know why this is racist:

Could you explain why Skeeter is a racist based on the above statement?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I didn't say he is a racist; I said statements like that make racial positions like his an open question.

1) that statement did neither of the things skeeter thinks it did; that he thinks so is a reflection on his character, not the president's, and

2) implies that the first black president is wrong in publically expressing any enmity with either young black men or the parents of young black men.

Both speak to a ideological bent that seeks to misrepresent issues black people deal with every single day in this country.  CLC is often guilty of this, too.  It's just derisive (and irrelevant).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I didn't say he is a racist; I said statements like that make racial positions like his an open question.

1) that statement did neither of the things skeeter thinks it did; that he thinks so is a reflection on his character, not the president's, and

2) implies that the first black president is wrong in publically expressing any enmity with either young black men or the parents of young black men.

Both speak to a ideological bent that seeks to misrepresent issues black people deal with every single day in this country.  CLC is often guilty of this, too.  It's just derisive (and irrelevant).

I suppose. I tend not to think I know what one is implying. I would have a follow up question to ask...did you mean such and such and then they'd have a chance to clear anything up. I tend not to jump to...this is why you're branded as racist. But we all have our methods

Just like, I have no idea what ACTUALLY went down between Trayvon and Zimmerman. But many on BDC seem to think they do. Not sure how they could since they weren't there. But like I said...we all have our methods

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

WDYWN wins the internets award.....yippeeeeeeee

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I suppose. I tend not to think I know what one is implying. I would have a follow up question to ask...did you mean such and such and then they'd have a chance to clear anything up. I tend not to jump to...this is why you're branded as racist. But we all have our methods

Just like, I have no idea what ACTUALLY went down between Trayvon and Zimmerman. But many on BDC seem to think they do. Not sure how they could since they weren't there. But like I said...we all have our methods

Fair enough, but it's not like his insensitivity or obtuseness has not been on display before on this matter and others.

FTR, I don't think he's a racist, but he sure has a peculiar way of showing it.

I honestly have no idea why he felt he needed to bring POTUS's comments into this discussion, but like you say...we all have our methods.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Well, this thread has convinced me that conservatives are not racist, and they have no problem with black people carrying guns.  Billy clubs are obviously way, way  over the line, but guns are fine.

To paraphrase Wayne LaPierre, the only thing that can stop a bad teenager with skittles is a good guy with a gun.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

The NRA has been an accessory to murder for years (edited)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

The NRA has been an assesory to murder for years

How so?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

"It's not like human beings have the ability to bring logic to bear on evidence. Sheesh."

One can have an opinion based on what they think a person MIGHT be thinking, but you can't know emphatically....unless of course one knows how to read minds. I dunno....maybe WDYWN has that ability. Good for him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

How so?

I do you one better ALEC wrote the Stand Your Ground Defense .... the NRA lobbied for it .....the GOP passed it and Wall St paid for it ..... they are all accessories to murder 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Let me know when they come out with a poster of a young black man in a hoodie grasping a Glock. Heck, let me know when they advertise the virtues of any young black man wielding a semi-auto pistol.

Y'know, there are young white hoodlums too that would never show up in a NRA poster either.

Racist.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Deleted

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Well, he didn't have a gun now didn't he? And he is dead. Zimmerman had a gun and he is still with us .

The NRA is not going to argue for a guy attacking someone with a gun who defended himself. Are you nuts?

OK, let's say the Martin had the gun and Zimmerman did not. My bet is that it would have been an open and shut murder case. Why? Because Martin had already shown a tendency to be a criminal. 

But that is just an alternate fuure which no one can predict.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

Well, he didn't have a gun now didn't he? And he is dead. Zimmerman had a gun and he is still with us .

The NRA is not going to argue for a guy attacking someone with a gun who defended himself. Are you nuts?

OK, let's say the Martin had the gun and Zimmerman did not. My bet is that it would have been an open and shut murder case. Why? Because Martin had already shown a tendency to be a criminal. 

But that is just an alternate fuure which no one can predict.

Heh, heh, heh... 'tendency' to be a criminal, sorta like your tendency to be a moron.

Hey dipstick, Martin wasn't breaking any laws, he wasn't showing any 'tendency' towards criminal acts. He was walking home from the store, unarmed with skittles and a drink.

His 'tendency' was that he was black.

I guess for xenophobes like you, that's enough 'tendency' to warrant a shooting.

Seriously, you idiots are ridiculous.

If Martin, instead of Zimmerman, had the gun then Zimmerman would've stayed cowering in his car, where he should've been, and both would be alive today.

Trayvon had already been kicked out of school for posessing burglary tools, fighting and smoking dope, you know, kid stuff.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

How so?

I do you one better ALEC wrote the Stand Your Ground Defense .... the NRA lobbied for it .....the GOP passed it and Wall St paid for it ..... they are all accessories to murder 

Got your private message....roger that!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Skeeter:  I am with you on this.  In her haste to make up for lost time away from BDC, she has really put up some terrible posts. 

Sections
Shortcuts