Why Obama is Winning

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Re: Why Obama is Winning

It's simple really. Obama is winning because of statements like this one, coming all to often from the right.

http://www.yourblackworld.com/2012/09/10/gop-delegate-says-that-children-with-disabilities-are-gods-punishment-for-past-abortions/

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Obviously there are a number of factors involved.  I think Mitt is underperforming to some extent due to the same problem that made his candidacy in the GOP primary somewhat mediocre, and that is he has a hard time getting over with voters.  Its one thing to give speeches and kiss babies, but it is something else entirely when he needs to connect to the very people that are being asked to support him and he hasn't been able to that so far in either the primarys or the the very young general. 

The economy matters, for sure, but on that front no one knows what Team Romney is proposing.  Even prominenet conservatives are beginning to get anxious about the election and how Romney can win if he doesn't have a plan that people can point to and agree with. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:

It's simple really. Obama is winning because of statements like this one, coming all to often from the right.

http://www.yourblackworld.com/2012/09/10/gop-delegate-says-that-children-with-disabilities-are-gods-punishment-for-past-abortions/

Thank you for this site. I went to read the full coverage. Here is some of it below. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOP Delegate Bob Marshall is likely going to be abandoned by many of his Republican colleagues after making a statement that some might find to be quite objectionable.   During a press conference to discuss cutting funding for Planned Parenthood, Marshall attacked the organization relentlessly.  That part of his speech would get applause from most of the GOP.

Then Marshall went on to strongly imply that when women give birth to children with birth defects, they are being punished for past abortions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This was not just a voter who self identifies as a Republican. This man was a member of the Virginia delegation to the RNConvention.

Just another reason voters, esp. women, are wary of the Romney-Ryan ticket.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to 12-Angry-Men's comment:

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

In response to andiejen's comment:

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

After hearing romney stating that he would appoint judges who would overturn Roe v Wade I wondered why the SCOTUS doesn't overturn it now. They have enough conservatives on the court .

Really? Who are the conservative judges?

Pink,

Since Sister may be fighting a fire or something else that requires his attention, may I answer your question for him.

Of the current 9 members of the Supreme Court, 5 fall into the conservative category. 

Chief Justice Roberts, as well as Justics Alito, Kennedy, Scalia and Thomas.

The other 4 Justices are deemed to be left of center.  

The great majority of the decisions of this Court have come down 5-4, along these lines. A major exception, of course, was in June, when Chief Justice Roberts wrote the majority opinion in joining with the 4 more liberal justices when Obamacare was challenged.

Kennedy is known as the swing Justice. In fact many conservatives have been upset with him for not always voting with the conservative wing. 

Ding!

Kennedy voted with all 4 liberals on Kelo.  Libs like to forget that one.

He, Like O'Connor, is (was) a swinger, and proud of it.

The jazz is, that back at Kelo, HALF of the liberals were repubican appointees.  Whens the last time a Dem POTUS appointed a conservtive?

Ooops!

And so goes the qualification over ideaology the dems are so proud of, like a f@rt in church.

Hmmmm, seems to me the most conservative SCotUS justices were approved with the consent of a Dem Senate.

Not much they can do if the judges were qualified.

Seriously?

I guess only wingnuts are allowed to filibuster judicial appointments...

Republicans Block Vote on Obama Judicial Nominee Goodwin Liu
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2011/05/republicans-block-vote-on-obamas-judicial-nominee.html

Senate Republicans Block Obama Judge Pick Caitlin Halligan

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/06/senate-gop-block-obama-judge-picked-to-fill-chief-justices-appeals-seat/#ixzz26Bdjny4y

Obama Judicial Appointees BLOCKED By GOP: President Getting Fewer Nominees Confirmed Than Nixon
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/06/obama-judicial-appointees_n_706590.html

Nice post, Angry-Men.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Referring to simple questions about foreign policy as a "distraction" may not be very helpful, either....

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Maybe Obama is winning because Romney is a slime ball.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

The GOP's 3 point strategy.

1.  Avoid saying much of anything about their policy plans for Medicare (they want to abolish it), taxes (they want to raise taxes on the middle and working classes, while providing more tax giveaways to billionaires), choice, job creation, etc.

2.   Lie incessantly about Democratic positions on those same sets of issues.

3.   Enact as many voter suppression laws in states such as Pennsylvania, Ohio, South Carolina, Florida, etc. At the same time, organize an army of poll watchers to challenge the eligibility of voters in Democratic areas.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

After hearing romney stating that he would appoint judges who would overturn Roe v Wade I wondered why the SCOTUS doesn't overturn it now. They have enough conservatives on the court .

Really? Who are the conservative judges?

Pink,

Since Sister may be fighting a fire or something else that requires his attention, may I answer your question for him.

Of the current 9 members of the Supreme Court, 5 fall into the conservative category. 

Chief Justice Roberts, as well as Justics Alito, Kennedy, Scalia and Thomas.

The other 4 Justices are deemed to be left of center.  

The great majority of the decisions of this Court have come down 5-4, along these lines. A major exception, of course, was in June, when Chief Justice Roberts wrote the majority opinion in joining with the 4 more liberal justices when Obamacare was challenged.

Kennedy is known as the swing Justice. In fact many conservatives have been upset with him for not always voting with the conservative wing. 

Ding!

Kennedy voted with all 4 liberals on Kelo.  Libs like to forget that one.

He, Like O'Connor, is (was) a swinger, and proud of it.

The jazz is, that back at Kelo, HALF of the liberals were repubican appointees.  Whens the last time a Dem POTUS appointed a conservtive?

Ooops!

And so goes the qualification over ideaology the dems are so proud of, like a f@rt in church.

Hmmmm, seems to me the most conservative SCotUS justices were approved with the consent of a Dem Senate.

Not much they can do if the judges were qualified.

Its WHO qualifed!

I Noted that HALF of the liberals on the court (and by the way, BOTH moderates) were appointed by GOP presidents.

I THEN asked how many conservatives have been appointed by liberal president - EVER.

You ran like a cow in a wolf bin.  UNDERSTOOD.

The answer is, NONE!

So take your, "We place qualification over ideology, BS, and shuv it up your a55, where it belongs, because YOUR pack of wolves have NEVER done so, and mine has, RECENTLY - ya oaf!

Gregin,

I do not know about you, but I am far from crazy about this new reply system. I had to read your post twice to be sure who you were referring to as an "oaf" at the end. (And Pink, I am not agreeing with Gregin. This is just the latest "reply" that I came across that was very long and kind of messy due to the new format.)

Your post was in respose to 5 differnent posters, including yourself. 

I know this post does not further the conversation of the thread. You have been using the new system longer than I. If you are not happy with the reply format, have you tried a way to clean it up a bit? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Obama is winning because he's the incumbent.  That must be why Bush I and Carter got reelected.  

Romney's losing because he isn't likeable.  Republicans don't even like him.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

Republicans don't even like him 

I really wish people would stop speaking for me. I like Mitt. My fellow republican friends like him. I would never be so bold as to say Democrats don't like B.O..

There's a section in "Game Change" discusses how the other Republican candidates felt about Mitt.  It was the one topic they all agreed on.  They all strongly disliked him.

How many of the other repub candidates for president are stumping for him?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

Obviously there are a number of factors involved.  I think Mitt is underperforming to some extent due to the same problem that made his candidacy in the GOP primary somewhat mediocre, and that is he has a hard time getting over with voters.  Its one thing to give speeches and kiss babies, but it is something else entirely when he needs to connect to the very people that are being asked to support him and he hasn't been able to that so far in either the primarys or the the very young general. 

The economy matters, for sure, but on that front no one knows what Team Romney is proposing.  Even prominenet conservatives are beginning to get anxious about the election and how Romney can win if he doesn't have a plan that people can point to and agree with. 

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/09/mitt-romney-tax-plan-worries-conservatives.php 

Damian,

This article does a very nice job laying out just how worried prominent conservatives are that Romney will not lay out any specifics of his tax plan. He has no real plan out there that they can point to when discussing him.

This was made particularly clear when you look back at the talking heads making the rounds on last Sunday's morning talk shows. 

As one talking head said, Romney can go after the millionaires or the middles class. The real money is going after the middle class. We are talking about tax deductions such as the mortgage interest expense in particular. Also the deductions (and credits) for charitable giving, higher education, property taxes and medical insurance premiums and expenses. 

There is a lot of revenue to be had by eliminating the above. That also means going after families bringinging in under $200k per year.

Of course if this is where Romney expects to get the money to pay for the things he has been talking about, coming out and saying these items are on the table would probably finish any chance of his winning the general.

Of course, by refusing to say any specifics of where the revenue is suppose to come from, GOP talking heads are left with nothing to point to.

Romney had relied on not having to lay out specifics. He obviously had relied on not having to run. But Romney relying on winning just by sitting back, saying as little as possible, and the economy beating Obama just did not work and he is running out of time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Gregin,

Below is the same answer I gave Pink when he also stated Obama is winning because he is the incumbent.

Being the incumbent would normally work against Obama under the current economic comditions. Voters tend to blame or praise the President far too much for the state of the economy. 

We are experiencing a soft recovery. Individual numbers such as unemploment, private sector jobs created, etc., are not great. And yet Obama is leading in the polls, even the polls that tend to be right of center. 

So no, if anything, being the incumbent should be hurting him and helping Romney. Something Romney and his aides were using as a strategy. Banking on Obama to lose...not so much having to run for Romney to win. 

But with less than 60 days to go, that is not working. Romney either needs to start running or this will probably not turn around for him. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

Republicans don't even like him 

I really wish people would stop speaking for me. I like Mitt. My fellow republican friends like him. I would never be so bold as to say Democrats don't like B.O..

MO,

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/14/opinion/granderson-romney-likeability/index.html

T
    his article is by a CNN weekly contributer named LZ Granderson. Granderson spent months trying to figure out why Americans basically do not like Romney.

Obviously, not every single American voter does not like Romney. But Romney has a likeability problem pretty much unprecedented in a candidate for President in recent memory.

Granderson does conclude that does not mean people will not vote for him. But to back it up and analyze this subject, I believe this article is worth your time reading and processing.

Sections
Shortcuts