Why the GOP establishment is afraid of Newt!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Why the GOP establishment is afraid of Newt!

Romney says that Gingrich is part of the establishment. Technically, Romney is right. Gingrich was House speaker, after all, and then made millions trading off his name and his insider status.

But Gingrich is not part of the real Republican establishment.

This is what the conservative base likes. It sees that while Romney will do a modest job reining in the budget, Gingrich might just whack the thing until it begs for mercy and releases all its wasteful programs.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/72122_Page2.html#ixzz1kxRdrQBz

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Re: Why the GOP establishment is afraid of Newt!

It was just a few weeks ago that the "Republican establishment" was supposedly trying to find a more conservative alternative to Romney....

Romney himself was the conservative alternative to establishment choice John McCain in 2008.

I would have supported a strong conservative alternative to Romney ...

But not Newt Gingrich. He doesnt fit the role.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

In Response to Re: Why the GOP establishment is afraid of Newt!:
    Well, he does want to spend hundreds and hundreds of billions to build a moon colony in 8 years. Sounds like some good old fashioned fiscal restraint to me.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

Hundredes and hundreds of billions huh? I heard his plan was to join with private business, NASA, Aerospace agencies etc, to allow private business the opportunity to invest billions??

But, Im sure you have some clear evidence to support your claims.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Go, Mr. Gingrich, go!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

NASA - recently especially the space shuttle and space station programs - has been an enormous subsidy to the aeronautical and materials industries, as well as to the more obvious aerospace industry.  And to the economy of central Florida, among others.  Florida's is the one that matters this week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

In Response to Re: Why the GOP establishment is afraid of Newt! : Hey, I didn't see anything about that in anything I read. Unfortuantely, if you're right, then in establishing that Newt isn't a spending hypocrite on this front, you instead proved that he is a deluded imbecile. Because it would cost several hundred billion at the very least, and since these estimates are always off, probably a trillion+ easily. Good luck lining up investments of that caliber.

He said it in the debate!

MACKIN: Thanks, John. This question goes out to Speaker Gingrich. Next month, the space shuttle program is scheduled to retire after 30 years, and last year, President Obama effectively killed government-run space flight to the International Space Station and wants to turn it over to private companies. In the meantime, U.S. astronauts would ride Russian spacecraft at a cost of $50 million to $63 million a seat. What role should the government play in future space exploration?

GINGRICH: Well, sadly -- and I say this, sadly, because I'm a big fan of going into space and I actually worked to get the shuttle program to survive at one point -- NASA has become an absolute case study in why bureaucracy can't innovate.

If you take all the money we've spent at NASA since we landed on the moon and you had applied that money for incentives to the private sector, we would today probably have a permanent station on the moon, three or four permanent stations in space, a new generation of lift vehicles. And instead, what we've had is bureaucracy after bureaucracy after bureaucracy and failure after failure.

I think it's a tragedy, because younger Americans ought to have the excitement of thinking that they, too, could be part of reaching out to a new frontier.

You know, you'd asked earlier, John, about this idea of limits because we're a developed country. We're not a developed country. The scientific future is going to open up, and we're at the beginning of a whole new cycle of extraordinary opportunities. And, unfortunately, NASA is standing in the way of it, when NASA ought to be getting out of the way and encouraging the private sector.

KING: Is there any candidate who would step in and say, no, this is vital to America's identity, this is vital to America's innovation, I want the government to stay in the lead here when it comes to manned space flight? Nobody?

PAWLENTY: Yeah, I think the space program has played a vital role for the United States of America. I think in the context...

KING: But can we afford it going forward?

PAWLENTY: In the context of our budget challenges, it can be refocused and reprioritized, but I don't think we should be eliminating the space program. We can partner with private providers to get more economies of scale and scale it back, but I don't think we should eliminate the space program.

KING: In a sentence -- in a sentence or two?

(CROSSTALK)

GINGRICH: John, you mischaracterized me. I didn't say end the space program. We built the transcontinental railroads without a national department of railroads. I said you could get into space faster, better, more effectively, more creatively if you decentralized it, got it out of Washington, and cut out the bureaucracy. It's not about getting rid of the space program; it's about getting to a real space program that works.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The only thing some Dems hope for more than Romney as nominee...

...is Gingrich as nominee.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

The only things some Dems hope for more than Romney as nominee... ...is Gingrich as nominee.
    Posted by MattyScornD

Obama would not be able to rely on platitudes and "feel good" generalizations in debates if, Newt is the nominee.

Newt would make a stark contrast on ideology, leadership, and he would be articulate and smart enough to expose Obama and his lack of any indepth idea's or knowledge.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

If, you are tired of the wshington establishment (both parties) being all powerful and promising everything while delivering very little, saying one thing and doing another, never accepting any responsibility, telling the citizens to cut back and make sacrifices while they gorge on our tax dollars then and again deliver nothing, vote for the one candidate that the washington establishment (both parties) have teamed up to defeat!!

There is always a reason politicians oppose something.......that reason is usually because either there is nothing in it for them or it will hurt their struggle to retain or get more power!!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

In Response to Re: Why the GOP establishment is afraid of Newt! : The Newt EXPLODED earmarks while he was speaker. That itself should cause you concern. Or do you think he, like all the wingnuts of the most recent debacle, are born-again fiscal conservatives. In that case I have a very large inventory of bridges around the country I'm willing to part with for short money.
    Posted by airborne-rgr

Newts legislature balanced the budget! If you can balance the budget you can have your earmarks!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Palin continued: " Vote for Newt, annoy a liberal." http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/01/30/sarah_palin_vote_for_newt_gingrich_annoy_a_liberal.html Yeah, the GOP. They're the real grown-ups. Barf.

It worked.  Palin said it, and lemming-like, you were predictably annoyed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hooksie2. Show hooksie2's posts

Because Newt marches to the beat of his own drum.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

In Response to Re: Why the GOP establishment is afraid of Newt! : Newsflash spanky, it ain't the 'left' ya'll need to worry about. It's the very real internal schism that is destroying your party. Oh ya, and that 'annoyed' sound you hear about Palin... It's coming from her own facebook fans. On Sarah Palin's Facebook Page, a Revolt Against Newt Gingrich His bid is dividing her fans, some of whom object to his character problems and big-government tendencies. Beware, Tea Partiers.  How could the movement survive a standard-bearer who once favored bank bailouts, No Child Left Behind, an individual mandate in health care, a guest-worker program, the costly prescription-drug benefit, and the nomination of Harriet Miers? Or a politician who lobbied for Freddie Mac? Tea Partiers once pledged that if they had their way, the GOP would never again have as its champion a federal-government-enlarging, entitlement-expanding Bush Republican, nor a career politician who sells influence to D.C. insiders. Elevating such a man would split the coalition's earnest reformers from its tribal partisans. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/01/on-sarah-palins-facebook-page-a-revolt-against-newt-gingrich/252176/
    Posted by airborne-rgr

haha do you realy believe that?

The party and all those that understand how obama's policies are ruining this country will unite behind who ever the nominee is!!

I'm sure you leftwings sit around hoping the party implodes and loses it's zest to beat Obama but, that ain't gonna happen Spanky!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Go, Mr. Gingrich, go!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I think the real reason the GOP establishment is afraid of Newt is that if he gets the nomination..then Obama gets 4 more years. The establishment has a duty to put forth a candidate that can win a general election. Newt is not that person.

Sections
Shortcuts