Why would anyone challenge "Stand your Ground" laws? Here's why.

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: Why would anyone challenge

Are thoise the best examples oyu can come up with?

How about this one:

http://swampscott.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/heroin-knife-baton-found-on-arrested-lynn-man

Here's the key peice:

Anthony McKay, the owner of the pickup truck, told police that Johnson came at him in a "bladed stance" and he struck him in the face to defend himself. McKay would later be arrested on a charge of assault and battery after it was discovered that Johnson had suffered a broken jaw in the incident that would need to be repaired with emergency surgery, according to court documents.

How dare he protect what is his!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

You understand that the Florida "Stand your ground" had nothing to do with the Travon Martin case?

In any case, I'm seeing some alternate stories about whether or not blacks benefit from the Florida Stand Your Ground law:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/16/blacks-benefit-from-florida-stand-your-ground-law-at-disproportionate-rate/#ixzz2ZLLvPZjN

I haven't made up my mind on this one, just showing that there are other views.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

You understand that the Florida "Stand your ground" had nothing to do with the Travon Martin case?

In any case, I'm seeing some alternate stories about whether or not blacks benefit from the Florida Stand Your Ground law:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/16/blacks-benefit-from-florida-stand-your-ground-law-at-disproportionate-rate/#ixzz2ZLLvPZjN

I haven't made up my mind on this one, just showing that there are other views.

--

Here's he thing.  Every instance is situational.  in some cases, fleeing makes sense, in others, the risk is worth the reward, i.e. protecting your family. Also, these thiings tend to happen faster than youu can blink.  It isn't like you always have time to examine all the options.

What I object to is the progressives telling me I MUST flee, in ALL situations.

This is not only stupid, it shows why progressives and the left cannot be trusted with running our country.  They do not have our best interests in mind.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Agreed. It's just another part of the leftist strategy to remove power from the individual and give it to the collective.

--

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

So snarky posts are ok NOW? So confusing...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ppannos. Show ppannos's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Empirical evidence also shows how the law perpetuates racial bias in the justice system: A white shooter who kills a black victim is 11 times more likely to walk free than a black shooter who kills a white victim.

That says nohthing as to whether the black person was commiting a crime at the time.

Does that suggest blacks are 11 times ore like ly to commit such crimes?

Calling the person shot a victem is misleading.

What are the total numbers?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Nobody said that. 

That is not the law in any state. Or do some legal research and prove me wrong.

What I object to is conservatives who regularly purport to back themselves up with pure lies.

<>

No one is saying that?  Multiple threads on the subject, started by progressives, multiple "leaders" of the black commuity, the progressive community, and multiple musicians, some of them actually producing good music.

What I object to is progressives who say they are doing nothign of the sort, yet do so anyways.

What is in play here is a principle:  Do I have the right to stand and fight in certain situations, or am I compelled to flee as my PRIMARY course of action?

Even someone as SMART as you ought to get that point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Agreed. It's just another part of the leftist strategy to remove power from the individual and give it to the collective.

--

I also object to people who do not think for themselves but rather, join in guffawing at libruls based on another conservative's lie.

Ah well.

I know we are onto something, as we have triggered your "lie" response.  Usually means we are smack top dead center ON!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I know we are onto something, as we have triggered your "lie" response.  Usually means we are smack top dead center ON!

Then surely you find at least one state in which this is the law: "What I object to is the progressives telling me I MUST flee, in ALL situations?"

You lied. Be a man and admit it.

Nobody is saying what you claimed and it most certainly isn't the law anywhere. All you've got is hot air. Always.

You are making a false accusation.  YOU be a man and admit it.

Just because they told you making false accusations was OK in that silly law school you wnet to doesn't make it right.

A normal person would understand that the key issue with removing the stand your ground laws is that I now must prove that I didn't have an option to flee. that means that I am compelled to examine that option in the face of approaching danger.  Might make good sense, but it makes terrible law.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

You are making a false accusation.  YOU be a man and admit it

Now you're just being silly.

I'm serious.  You have no right to accuse people of lying when your accusation is false.

Show me the lie, or apologize.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Empirical evidence also shows how the law perpetuates racial bias in the justice system: A white shooter who kills a black victim is 11 times more likely to walk free than a black shooter who kills a white victim.

I think Devel Patrick would consider this to be just some anecdotal stories.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I'm serious.  You have no right to accuse people of lying when your accusation is false.

Show me the lie, or apologize.

I already did and you know it. Shut your mouth and reread the thread.

You didn't.  So, I'll put this in the category of delusional progressive thought.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

--

Why do you wingnuts feel the need to lie in a debate?

Don't you have confidence in your ability to relate the facts?

Even the the link you posted is disingenuous. The title states; "Blacks benefit from Florida ‘Stand Your Ground’ law at disproportionate rate." when in fact the stats show that there is statistically no difference between whites and blacks. (53% vs 55%)

No sense going any further if you neo-con nincompoops are just going to continue to lie, hyperbolize and obfuscate.

Gawd, not you, too.

If you repeal all the stand your ground laws, then I must FIRST determine if I can flee BEFORE resorting to force.

Show me the lie.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

Well if you both don't understand the differenece between 'anecdotal' and 'empirical' data then the education system has failed you.

What on Earth does stand oyur ground have to do with race?  Are not ALL races able to "stand your ground"?

The left is trying too hard to create a race issue where there is not one.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"Empirical evidence also shows how the law perpetuates racial bias in the justice system: A white shooter who kills a black victim is 11 times more likely to walk free than a black shooter who kills a white victim."

Those numbers dont mean much at all. 

As the article admits, there are far fewer white-on-black shootings in the FBI data — only 25 total in both the Stand Your Ground and non-Stand Your Ground states. Of a pool of 43, 500  homicides?!

How can one extrapolate from that? " the small sample size is one of the reasons Roman conducted a regression analysis, which determines the statistical likelihood of whether the killings will be found justifiable." 

I.e., Keep abusing the statistics until he reaches the predetermined  conclusion!

These stats are more on point:  

According to the most recent (2011) FBI statistics, of the 2,695 murders in which the victim was black, 91% were committed by people of the same race. Whites and white-Hispanics were the perpetrator in only 193 (7%) cases.

According to FBI hate crime statistics, there was only one murder or negligent manslaughter in 2011 that could be traced to anti-black sentiment. Just one. This is not exactly the wave of racial animus some commentators and social activists have warned us about.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

Well if you both don't understand the differenece between 'anecdotal' and 'empirical' data then the education system has failed you.

Of course your need to speak for someone else probably explains your ignorance better than your failed education.

Well they both pertain to one's direct observations and expperiences.  They're considered empirical when the proponent is selling and anecdotal when a detractor is discounting.  Just ask the Governor as he debates the veracity of EBT abuse findings.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts