Will a 3rd Political Party Emerge in the Current Political Climate?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 12angrymen. Show 12angrymen's posts

Will a 3rd Political Party Emerge in the Current Political Climate?

From NBC's Mark Murray and Domenico Montanaro
    Just how angry is the public with the country's two leading political parties? Angry enough that the conservative, libertarian-leaning Tea Party movement is more popular than either the Democratic or the Republican parties, according to the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

The Republican Party maintains its net-negative favorable/unfavorable rating in the poll, with 28 percent viewing it positively and 43 percent seeing it in a negative light.

For the first time in more than two years, the Democratic Party also now holds a net-negative fav/unfav, at 35-45 percent.

By comparison, the NBC/WSJ poll shows the Tea Party movement with a net-positive 41-23 percent score.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from giraffe-77. Show giraffe-77's posts

Re: Will a 3rd Political Party Emerge in the Current Political Climate?

Same thing.  Repubs and dems are like 2 sides of the same coin.  Their only difference is HOW to spend your taxes.  One side says 'tax the rich and stop restricting people's individual, moral choices'.  The other side of said coin says the opposite.  'Set the free market free and make more restrictive laws on people's individual choices.'

Whether it's taxing for better health care or taxing for increased military operations, it's just a matter of HOW to increase our taxes.

www.lp.org

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: Will a 3rd Political Party Emerge in the Current Political Climate?:
    [QUOTE]Same thing.  Repubs and dems are like 2 sides of the same coin.  Their only difference is HOW to spend your taxes.  One side says 'tax the rich and stop restricting people's individual, moral choices'.  The other side of said coin says the opposite.  'Set the free market free and make more restrictive laws on people's individual choices.' Whether it's taxing for better health care or taxing for increased military operations, it's just a matter of HOW to increase our taxes. www.lp.org
    Posted by giraffe-77[/QUOTE]

Libertaians want to repeal the income tax.  Not likely. People like their government services: they just don't like to pay for them.   They elect people
    like themselves.  Having another viable party is just not going to happen.  The system is run by money: cash to run campaigns and cash to dole out for political support.  It has been over 150 years since the appearance of a successful third party.  There is a reason for this and it is money.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from giraffe-77. Show giraffe-77's posts

In Response to Re: Will a 3rd Political Party Emerge in the Current Political Climate?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will a 3rd Political Party Emerge in the Current Political Climate? : Libertaians want to repeal the income tax.  Not likely. People like their government services: they just don't like to pay for them.   They elect people like themselves.  Having another viable party is just not going to happen.  The system is run by money: cash to run campaigns and cash to dole out for political support.  It has been over 150 years since the appearance of a successful third party.  There is a reason for this and it is money.
    Posted by Reubenhop[/QUOTE]

It's wierd that in our democratic system, millions (if not billions) get spent on campaigning.  I've been told that I waste my vote on Libertarianism, but I want whomever wins to know that 5% of Americans feel that way.  In the last two presidential elections I feel I wasted my vote for simply voting against Bush.

The lesser of 2 evils is still evil.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from giraffe-77. Show giraffe-77's posts

[QUOTE] I've been told that I waste my vote on Libertarianism --------------- You tell those fools to have sex with a bag of ferrets. I wrote in Alan Keyes.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

They keep trying to make it more difficult for 3rd party candidates to get on the ballot.  More signatures on petitions, more financial requirements, etc.  This one-party system is gonna self destruct.  'Tear down this one-party system !!'

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MethuenProgressive. Show MethuenProgressive's posts

The GOP will be the next Third Party. Most voters already identify themselves as Independant or Democrat. The GOP is a zombie party.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from giraffe-77. Show giraffe-77's posts

[QUOTE]The GOP will be the next Third Party. Most voters already identify themselves as Independant or Democrat. The GOP is a zombie party.
    Posted by MethuenProgressive[/QUOTE]

It's too sad.  I used to be a GOP supporter, but I agree with you.  Once they became the "big government neo-cons", they lost me.  Happy Holidays.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PS911fan. Show PS911fan's posts

[QUOTE]Its about money.  The only reason Ross Perot did so well is because he didn't need a party to get it. "I'd be happy with a  second party in MA." Amen to that chief!
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

What makes Greg and others who are eternally childish, petulent, and whiners about this are the SAME people who were dead silent while the GOP controlled all branches .....and actually still control judicial with those slugs and Kennedy joining them. Thats was OK, nothing to see here, in their books.....but nope not now of course, its an "injustice". At least the democratic victories were free of the Bush-type chicanery.....(cough, fla, ohio, cough)

There was an election, your guys didn't win.....so now you choose to fillibuster over  100 times and do nothing but obstruct.....why would anybody think its a good idea to bring failure back so quick?

I mean  the GOP had complete control for 6 years, but I guess the Dems don't deserve their victories....you really need to rethink your hypocrisy. In this state, the majority of people decide to vote for the Dems......so far with of course some very clear exceptions in the Governors office......but you have pretty worthless candidates.....not the state's fault, not the dems' fault......look in the mirror and you will find the right people to blame.....

If you were silent from 2000 to 2006, time for a nice warm bowl of STFU now.......please eat quietly

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Too much apathy out there for a 3rd party at this time. What was the voter turnout for the Mass Senate Primary, something like 30%? Very few people are interested in politics/civics to even know the basics of how gov't operates. Is civics even an elective in the HS curriculum? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

The Tea party movement isn't cohesive enough to form a thrid party, they are at odds with each other as different regions of the country produce Tea Party, um Party, affiliates with wide variances in policy concerns.  As the old saying goes, all politics is local, and grassroots movements oftentimes have a difficult time getting out of their own way with regard to transforming into a national organization.  Just look at liberal grassroots organizations for an example of fractures that can emerge and keep things fragmented. 

We are also not considering that even within the Democrat and Republican parties that regional differences also drive intraparty divisions.  For example Blue Dog democrats would likely be a Republicans in Mass while some moderate Republicans could easily be Democrats in the middle of the country.  So if the established parties have diffculty maintaining party discipline and a singular platform what chance does a fledging group comprised of a staggering number of political reactionaries in the rank and file, funded by East Coast (DC) conservatives, and lacking not only a leader to rally around, but also a cohesive policy platform stand?  And I don't think it matters much if they march under the Conservative Party banner or the Libertarian party banner, the odds are stacking against them forming a viable alternative unless several elected officials in State and Federal Government peel away from the Democrats or Republicans and give them some significant name recognition and seats in government. 

No one likes voting for a loser which is why third party candidates have had significant problems gaining traction in the general population. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from giraffe-77. Show giraffe-77's posts

Damain and others are right.  the GOP has nobody to offer nationally.  John McCain is too senile,  Mitt and the Mormon Tabernacle Cabinet is too far fetched.  And Sarah Palin - I hope they choose her.  She reads all the magazines and she's still too dumb to answer a question.  Maybe they think she can follow the Bush tradition of "Lowest I.Q. wins", but even the stupidest people probably won't be fooled twice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[QUOTE]The GOP will be the next Third Party. Most voters already identify themselves as Independant or Democrat. The GOP is a zombie party.
    Posted by MethuenProgressive[/QUOTE]
    Most voters also identify as either independent or republican.  Math is hard Barbie

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Mitt and the Mormon Tabernacle Cabinet is too far fetched
    ----------------------

You do realize Harry Reid is Mormon, right?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from giraffe-77. Show giraffe-77's posts

You do know Harry Reid is a Mormon right?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

It really doesn't matter, but it shows how likely someone is to "talk through their hat" or believe nonsense.  In a presidential election, that would definitely be made an issue.  Personally, I just wish the Republican Party stood for smaller gov't and less gov't intervention in our personal lives - like they once did.  I'd vote for a Hare Krishna if they were in favor of the original Republican platform.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rickf1957. Show Rickf1957's posts

It already exists. We are called Independants. We don't need to be organized and herded in some direction like a bunch of cows. We don't need to go to conventions and wear silly hats to cast symbolic votes on things already decided by a minority leadership.

If you want our votes, then make your case on what your views are on the issues and we will make up our own minds ... one by one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from giraffe-77. Show giraffe-77's posts

Well said, Rick1957.  The only drawback is that we don't get to throw out all the insults.  Looney Left, Radical Right, etc.  And ya know?  I don't even miss that limiting mentality.  I have been Libertarian for years.  And now even some of their BS seems like BS.

The lesser of 2 evils is still evil.  I don't need my party right or wrong to justify my convictions.  Good post.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

it'll never happen but i think a good start would be an American Citizen's Lobbyist group. that's pretty much the only way we'd have an equal voice. good luck trying to fund something like that though.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

i highly doubt that. they may be making the most noise at the moment but i'm pretty sure there are more registered dems and repubs then there are teabaggers.