Wingnuts, backed by the NRA, looking out for everyone's 2nd Amd rights, especially those on terrorist watch list.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Re: Wingnuts, backed by the NRA, looking out for everyone's 2nd Amd rights, especially those on terrorist watch list.

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Now you would think that this headline is absurd, and you'd be right, it is absurd...but it's also completely true.

This would be a great Onion article but alas, truth is stranger than fiction.

Seriously, you whackjobs need to get a grip.

Standing up in defense of potential terrorists? IMBECILES!!!

A proposal to ban the sale of firearms to individuals on the FBI’s terrorist watch list was passed unanimously, oops, I'm sorry, I meant to say was miserably defeated by House Republicans late Wednesday.

Reps. Nita Lowey (D-NY) and David Price (D-NC) offered an amendment to the Commerce, Justice, Science (CJS) Appropriations bill that would have given the Justice Department authority to block those suspected of plotting mass murders of American citizens from purchasing firearms and explosives, a smart move, so naturally the amendment was shot down by a 19-29 vote.

“Americans expect our government to keep guns out of the hands of felons, domestic abusers, the mentally ill, and terrorists,” Lowey said. “A suspected terrorist cannot board a plane but can pass a background check to buy a gun. It is absurd that my Republican colleagues opposed our amendment to close this dangerous gap in our gun safety laws.”

The NRA claims proposals like the one that was defeated are "a completely rational way to thwart terrorism" and "good for the safety of our country,“ oops again, I meant, the NRA claims proposals like the one defeated are "aimed primarily at law-abiding American gun owners” and “sponsored by gun control extremists.”

ACC,

Another proud day for House Republicans.

Another proud day for the NRA.

Another reason to take back the House from the Republicans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: Wingnuts, backed by the NRA, looking out for everyone's 2nd Amd rights, especially those on terrorist watch list.

In response to andiejen's comment:

[QUOTE]

Now you would think that this headline is absurd, and you'd be right, it is absurd...but it's also completely true.

This would be a great Onion article but alas, truth is stranger than fiction.

Seriously, you whackjobs need to get a grip.

Standing up in defense of potential terrorists? IMBECILES!!!

A proposal to ban the sale of firearms to individuals on the FBI’s terrorist watch list was passed unanimously, oops, I'm sorry, I meant to say was miserably defeated by House Republicans late Wednesday.

Reps. Nita Lowey (D-NY) and David Price (D-NC) offered an amendment to the Commerce, Justice, Science (CJS) Appropriations bill that would have given the Justice Department authority to block those suspected of plotting mass murders of American citizens from purchasing firearms and explosives, a smart move, so naturally the amendment was shot down by a 19-29 vote.

“Americans expect our government to keep guns out of the hands of felons, domestic abusers, the mentally ill, and terrorists,” Lowey said. “A suspected terrorist cannot board a plane but can pass a background check to buy a gun. It is absurd that my Republican colleagues opposed our amendment to close this dangerous gap in our gun safety laws.”

The NRA claims proposals like the one that was defeated are "a completely rational way to thwart terrorism" and "good for the safety of our country,“ oops again, I meant, the NRA claims proposals like the one defeated are "aimed primarily at law-abiding American gun owners” and “sponsored by gun control extremists.”

ACC,

Another proud day for House Republicans.

Another proud day for the NRA.

Another reason to take back the House from the Republicans.

[/QUOTE]

So, for the left, suspicion in and of itself, if good enough to curtail an individual's consitutionally protected freedoms?

And you all tell me I'm going a bit far when I talk about how under the progressives we are less free.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

So we're now saying that we want to deny civil rights to those who are under suspicion of thinking about committing a crime?

Is that what we're saying?

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Couple of things. 

Officials have reported that U.S. citizens only make up a minority of the list [source: Pincus and Eggern].

Besides having a criminal record for terrorist-related activities or known associations with terrorists or terrorist organizations, there are other ways people get pegged for the list. Active membership in some extremist groups could get you a spot.

A criminal record tends to make one fail a background check resulting in not being able to get a gun

Many innocent people happen to share the same name as those on the terrorist watch list. Should those people be denied their civil rights due to an unfortunate coincidence? Case in point...

Sister Glenn Anne McPhee -- Catholic nun who experienced repeated security hassles in airports because she had the same name as someone on the list. The trouble lasted for nine months until the head of the U.S. Catholic Conference of Bishops phoned the White House to complain

Edward Kennedy -- Massachusetts senator and brother of former president John F. Kennedy, flagged because someone else on the watch list was reportedly using his name as an alias

Consider the example in 2004 when someone named John Lewis made the government watch list. After that, every John Lewis, including the well-known civil rights activist and Georgia representative of the same name, had trouble boarding a flight

Seems to me the terrorist watch list is an imprefect system. Should law abiding US citizens be denied their civil rights due to this imprefect system?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

But if the person has brown skin and looks like a A-rab..............suspicion is all we need to rendite them, or haul them over to Gitmo and disappear them without trial for the rest of their life?

Why yes, I WAS talking about US citizens, not foreign non-uniformed combatants picked up in a war zone so yes, you got me there.

--

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Oh I know I know, you don't need to tell me: They aren't protected by the U.S. Constitution so we don't have to treat them like breathing human beings.

Or we could just incinerate them where they sit in their home country like the current administration is so fond of doing. I wonder where that bit shows up in the Constitution.

--

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"....block those suspected of plotting mass murders of American citizens"

No , actually those on a watch list are just being watched ...Did Cat Stevens commit mass terror, other than his atrocious music? No.

Why, this is shocking .....progressives like airborne would never use such harsh language like "suspected of plotting mass murders of American citizens",  even as to those held at Gitmo after being captured on a battlefield trying to kill Americans....

....and accoriding to progressives,  tortured with ONLY four choices of halal meals... and access to a new $750,000 soccer field, given Islamic prayer beads and rugs , a choice of more than 10,000 Islamic books and videos stocked by a Muslim librarian, who also records soccer and Arabic TV for them. They even have their own clerics to preach to them in Arabic. When prisoners had gotten so plump on an "Islamically correct menu" that they were given a gym, they refused - because the equipment wasn't made by Muslims."

Hey, did the NRA suggest Gitmo prisoners get weapons? No...

Do progressives want to release these terrorists into the US, where they can commit mass murder? Why , YES.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

So why would we deny people we think may be mentally ill the right to carry weapons?

STRAW MAN ALERT! STRAW MAN ALERT!

Of course we want the mentally ill to have weapons ACC, you caught us.

You so smaaat.

--

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

So why would we deny people we think may be mentally ill the right to carry weapons?

I don't believe we do. I believe there has to be documented evidence of mental illness. Hence the whole issue with the federal mental health database being incompete. Many cities and towns haven't submitted such paperwork and therefore people with documented mental illnesses have fallen through the cracks.

In MA they do background checks on criminal and mental health for gun license (which is needed to be able to purchase handgun). I believe they do the same for FID card which is minimum needed to be able to buy a rifle/shotgun type of weapon.

They haven't committed any crimes. They are only suspected of being mentally different.

The psychology of what we understand about the human mind is less accurate than the data and evidence we can compile on an individuals activities.

Yep, I guess the FBI's watchlist is just not specific enough; People “known or reasonably suspected to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or related to terrorism."

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

But if the person has brown skin and looks like a A-rab........

......suspicion is all we need to rendite them, or haul them over to Gitmo and disappear them without trial for the rest of their life?

Oh I know I know, you don't need to tell me: They aren't protected by the U.S. Constitution so we don't have to treat them like breathing human beings.

Right.   that's so in play here. (Eye roll)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

They haven't committed any crimes. They are only suspected of being mentally different.

The psychology of what we understand about the human mind is less accurate than the data and evidence we can compile on an individuals activities.

Yep, I guess the FBI's watchlist is just not specific enough; People “known or reasonably suspected to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or related to terrorism."

No, we deny people who ARE mentally ill access to guns.  I am not aware of people we suspect of being mentally ill being denied guns.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

No, we deny people who ARE mentally ill access to guns.  I am not aware of people we suspect of being mentally ill being denied guns.

[/QUOTE]

Like Zimmerman

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

if a person is simply on the terrorist watch list, not arrested or convicted of a crime, mentally sound and meets the legal requirements for owning a gun...then why should they not be allowed to own a gun????

seriously.....

in the eyes of this administration conservatives and military veterans are terrorists...if putting them on a list enables the government to take their guns thats not good....this administartion CAN NOT be trusted....they have proven that over and over again...