Wisconsin state agency instructs us how to daily overcome our "white privilege"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Wisconsin state agency instructs us how to daily overcome our "white privilege"

This HAS to be from the Onion..but it isn't.

The shame and guilt of being a white person never ends, of course...everything we have in life is not due to any effort on our part, but due to "white privilege"....

The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) wants its white VISTA volunteers who work with low-income, racially diverse public schools to examine the “privilege” their Caucasian race confers on them.

DPI devotes an entire Web page to “Power and Privilege,” including links to racial justice workshops and online tests where VISTA volunteers can “learn about your personal bias.”

One “diversity” document linked to DPI’s Web site suggests that white people “wear a white wristband as a reminder about your privilege, and as a personal commitment to explain why you wear the wristband.”

The document -- written by a diversity resource center in New Jersey -- also suggests that white people ask themselves questions, such as: “How do I ignore privilege? What am I doing today to undo my privilege? How do I fool myself into thinking I am powerless?”

Other suggestions for white people include:

-- Set aside sections of the day to critically examine how privilege is working.
    -- Put a note on your mirror or computer screen as a reminder to think about privilege.
    -- Make a daily list of the ways privilege played out, and steps taken or not taken to address privilege.
    -- Find a person of color who is willing to hold you accountable for addressing privilege.

Never mind "white privilege"...do liberals ever feel guilty about their "liberal privilege" of having a useless lifetime bureaucratic job in the unionized public sector, where they cant be fired, no heavy lifting, sweet benefits, including  a huge  pension when they retire early?  And best of all, they get to harass the private sector workers who pay their salary as "greedy"!

Naw, no guilt about that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Wisconsin state agency instructs us how to daily overcome our

Some people need practical instruction.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Being a while male undeniably provides advantages.

That's probably still true to some degree although it seems no where near what it once was.

The real problem here lies in the foolish solution that's being implemented. They are punishing an entire race for sins that most of the individuals of said race have not committed. This is racism.

Instead of making the individual members of a group feel bad about something they have no control over (i.e their race,) The appropriate solution would be to raise up the people that have traditionally been the victims of racism. This can be done by ensuring that everyone has equal access to all the tools of society such as education and the ability to produce wealth for themselves and their families.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

How is noting an inherent advantage due to race a "punishment"?  The people VOLUNTEERING probably are already doing so out of aa sense of community and it is not unreasonable to consider that in dealing with folks from a different race or socio economic background that their may be barriers in communications.  This is no different than the instruction men receive when volunteering at a battered womens shelter.  For example, I have been told numerous times not to be offended if the women there are cautious or standoffish not because I am bad person, but because the person who victimized them was, like me, a man.  It may also be that I could resemble someone from their lives that hurt them.  Yes, they understand that I am their to help, but that still may not allow them to be completely receptive. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Are there programs to make sure a percentage of whites get hired?  Are there programs specifically designed to help whites get into college?

looks to me like the greatest civilizations, and the only ones that currently embrace human rights are all European and American which we're built primarily by.... Guess who.  Perhaps a look around the world would bring an appreciation of how much better off we are than the rest of the world.  It didn't just happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Interesting. The "Power and Privilege" page at the Wisconsin DPI web site has an Important Updated Message ...

https://sites.google.com/a/dpi.wi.gov/dpi-vista-project/resources-1/power-and-privilege-resources

It is unfortunate that this agency has to respond to misconceptions and misinformation being spread by an out-of-state entity that has no connection with the work being done by the public schools in Wisconsin.

First and foremost, and to be absolutely clear, no DPI official has asked, requested, or encouraged any school district, educator, or student to wear any wristband, and none of our VISTA volunteers have had any children put on any wristbands. To be clear, no Wisconsin students were given white wristbands.

I don't understand the problem here because, as i"ve been told, there is nothing inherently racist in stigmatizing a racial group by making them wear a symbol of their racial failings. Someone should explain to the Wisconsin DPI that they should proceed as planned since anyone stupid enough to complain about these clearly inclusive activities are just wingnuts anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Interesting. The "Power and Privilege" page at the Wisconsin DPI web site has an Important Updated Message ...

https://sites.google.com/a/dpi.wi.gov/dpi-vista-project/resources-1/power-and-privilege-resources

It is unfortunate that this agency has to respond to misconceptions and misinformation being spread by an out-of-state entity that has no connection with the work being done by the public schools in Wisconsin.

First and foremost, and to be absolutely clear, no DPI official has asked, requested, or encouraged any school district, educator, or student to wear any wristband, and none of our VISTA volunteers have had any children put on any wristbands. To be clear, no Wisconsin students were given white wristbands.

I don't understand the problem here because, as i"ve been told, there is nothing inherently racist in stigmatizing a racial group by making them wear a symbol of their racial failings. Someone should explain to the Wisconsin DPI that they should proceed as planned since anyone stupid enough to complain about these clearly inclusive activities are just wingnuts anyway.

If you are white, or more specifically, a white male, you need to hang your head in shame.

That's the message.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

If you are white, or more specifically, a white male, you need to hang your head in shame.

That's the message.

Nobody is saying that...

...that you think so, however, says more about your own insecurities than anything happening in Wisconsin. 

But again, some people need practical advice, don't they....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

Are there programs to make sure a percentage of whites get hired?  Are there programs specifically designed to help whites get into college?

looks to me like the greatest civilizations, and the only ones that currently embrace human rights are all European and American which we're built primarily by.... Guess who.  Perhaps a look around the world would bring an appreciation of how much better off we are than the rest of the world.  It didn't just happen.

Only white people are capable of "great" civilization?  Only whites embrace the idea of human rights?  Wow.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to NO MO O's comment:

Where is the equity if the answer to the below is 'NO' ??

Are there programs to make sure a percentage of whites get hired?  

Are there programs specifically designed to help whites get into college?

No need for such programs. Racism was a white man's game. You know that... all too well...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

That's the message.

Nobody is saying that...

...that you think so, however, says more about your own insecurities than anything happening in Wisconsin. 

But again, some people need practical advice, don't they....

Right. Using a sharpie to write "white privilege" across your face has nothing to do with shaming the white person.

back on this planet, that is an act of shaming white people.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Reubenhop's comment:

Only white people are capable of "great" civilization?  Only whites embrace the idea of human rights?  Wow.

of course not.  It is completely random.  If Fiji invented the printing press first, then we would all be complaining about Fijian Privilege, right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

No need for such programs. Racism was a white man's game. You know that... all too well...

absolutely.  You are spot on.  If anyone thinks that thecare wronged, can't succeed, or are just to lazy to try, don't worry.  It's just the white man holding you down.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Right. Using a sharpie to write "white privilege" across your face has nothing to do with shaming the white person.

Who did that?  That's just plain silly.

However, use that black sharpie to cover one's entire face...and some might take issue.

There's no question that there are privileged people in this world, and the vast majority are white.  But it's neither a coincidence in fact, nor is it a condemnation to say so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

of course not.  It is completely random.  If Fiji invented the printing press first, then we would all be complaining about Fijian Privilege, right?

The printing press was invented by the Chinese.  Best get some education on this history thingie.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

absolutely.  You are spot on.  If anyone thinks that thecare wronged, can't succeed, or are just to lazy to try, don't worry.  It's just the white man holding you down.

Spoken like a white man without a shred of empathy.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Who did that?  That's just plain silly.

However, use that black sharpie to cover one's entire face...and some might take issue.

There's no question that there are privileged people in this world, and the vast majority are white.  But it's neither a coincidence in fact, nor is it a condemnation to say so.

the Barack sharpie is in reference to the commercial that goes along with this effort.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BBqWMblu_Ss

Demographics is a shifting game.  To say that white people are the vast majority of privleged people on the face of the planIeshaIesha euro centric.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

So this is a poor attempt at repatations back to the Civil War and beyond?

This generation of white people pay for past sins of ancestors?

I'm sure reparations will bring parity. Punishing one class of people to subsidize another will most certainly make up for the wrong performed 200 years ago. 

Now who is the racist?

Racism ended with the Civil War?  You are just plain dim, purposely dim.  We know who the racist is.  The one with the faux ghetto talk as his moniker.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The printing press was invented by the Chinese.  Best get some education on this history thingie.

LMAOSHIPM...!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

the Barack sharpie is in reference to the commercial that goes along with this effort.

Demographics is a shifting game.  To say that white people are the vast majority of privleged people on the face of the planIeshaIesha euro centric.

I can't watch your video while at work, so I'll just assume it's something puerile and banal like you.

Your reading comprehension is horrendous (for a white man).

I said, quite clearly, that the "vast majority" of "privileged people" "are white".  There is a distinction with all the subtlety of a brick to the temple.

"the planIeshaIesha euro centric"

- I don't know what this is, but you win today's Gibberish Award.  Congratumullifiences!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I can't watch your video while at work, so I'll just assume it's something puerile and banal like you.

Your reading comprehension is horrendous (for a white man).

I said, quite clearly, that the "vast majority" of "privileged people" "are white".  There is a distinction with all the subtlety of a brick to the temple.

"the planIeshaIesha euro centric"

- I don't know what this is, but you win today's Gibberish Award.  Congratumullifiences!

Your comprehension is even weaker.  look up the word privilege inthe dictionary before continuing with this stupid sophmoric argument that white people are privileged.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Your comprehension is even weaker.  look up the word privilege inthe dictionary before continuing with this stupid sophmoric argument that white people are privileged.

Ugh.  I told you:

I didn't say white people are privileged; I said the privileged are mostly white.

Difference.

There's no question that cultural bias exists, however. 

Sections
Shortcuts