Words Have Meaning..the sequel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Words Have Meaning..the sequel

Words have meaning. Sounds so simple, doesn't it? Words are nothing more than symbols used to convey meaning. How they are interpreted can be affected by experience, perspective and context.

In anonymous discussion forums words have an even bigger meaning. Why? Well, because the words we type provide the only basis by which our online compadres can form opinions of us. For exampe, I imagine if this post contained a cartoon, some might view me as childish or immature depending on the cartoon of course.

How we choose to use words..and what kinds of words we focus on tell people a lot about us...no matter how we may try to hide it.

Take the word "friend" for example.  Who do you call a friend? Some people call their significant other their "friend"...some people call acquaintances "friends" and some people call those who really matter at the heart of it "friend".  Sometimes our differing definitions of words can get us into trouble.  I fall into that third category when it comes to the meaning of the word "friend". This once got me into trouble when someone who used the term to refer to someone whom they really felt was more an acquaintance called me "friend". Differing interpretations of the word meant differing expectations which..looking back..spelled doom from the beginning.

So yes..words do have meaning..but they may not always mean what you think they do...especially in an environment where we have no other information (tone of voice, expression) to go on.

One thing I have learned in life. You should choose your words wisely. One can never "unread" or "unhear" something hurtful or insincere or mean. You can try to take words back..but you really never can.

...and sometimes the right words can make all the difference in the world.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: Words Have Meaning..the sequel

This forum should have a like or upvote type of facility for the rare occasions that someone deserves such a thing. Well done miscricket.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ppannos. Show ppannos's posts

Good idea.

Do you think John Henry gives a sweet     ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

This forum should have a like or upvote type of facility for the rare occasions that someone deserves such a thing. Well done miscricket.

--

Good suggestion, though it may be depressing to realize how few read the 'words of meaning' posted here.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Funny, I have often wondered what would happen if we had a big lunch get together or something for boston.com posters.

I bet that very few posters would be able to identify who is who by their avatars or posts. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

--

Thank you StalkingButler..I appreciate the sentiment.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

[QUOTE]

--

Good suggestion, though it may be depressing to realize how few read the 'words of meaning' posted here.

[/QUOTE]

I think most people just don't care...sadly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

Funny, I have often wondered what would happen if we had a big lunch get together or something for boston.com posters.

I bet that very few posters would be able to identify who is who by their avatars or posts. 

I wonder the same thing Robin. I am betting that I could predict who would and would not attend such an event..lol.

I think you lose a lot  in online communications..but nevertheless it is still a fun way to spend a few minutes .

I used to participate in the Fox25 community forums until they did away with them. Many years ago..a group of posters decided to get together after a political rally(?) in Boston. I didn't attend. I think at the time I was not really a regular participant and there seemed to be a sort of click and them some. Anyhow..from what I understand it was a rousing success. I think it changed the interactions between these posters.

I knew a couple of people in that forum offline and in person...one of them being my son. Knowing him as well I do..who he is was evident in every post. I think who I am is evident in my every post as well. Another person, a woman I was very friendly with, changed quite a bit online. You just never know.

On this site, I have one long time friend who only posts sporadically. I have also gotten very friendly off the board with another poster in the political forum..one who I think most people don't like very much because he likes to "throw bombs"...but at the risk of "outing him"...he's actually a very remarkable, kindhearted and genuinely GOOD person. We share a lot of common interests not the least of which is that we both are belong to the same international service organization.

So..my longwinded response is that I am guessing it would be a 50/50 split between people who are genuine and people who "play act".

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@miscricket

I'd go,  if it's at Doyle's, Jacob Wirth's or The Tides....as long as I can sit next to the exit door.

Especially if boston.com would sponsor it :)

PS: And, if AcheNot would show up!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Well, are we having the free lunch, or what?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Words have meaning. Sounds so simple, doesn't it? Words are nothing more than symbols used to convey meaning. How they are interpreted can be affected by experience, perspective and context.

In anonymous discussion forums words have an even bigger meaning. Why? Well, because the words we type provide the only basis by which our online compadres can form opinions of us. For exampe, I imagine if this post contained a cartoon, some might view me as childish or immature depending on the cartoon of course.

How we choose to use words..and what kinds of words we focus on tell people a lot about us...no matter how we may try to hide it.

Take the word "friend" for example.  Who do you call a friend? Some people call their significant other their "friend"...some people call acquaintances "friends" and some people call those who really matter at the heart of it "friend".  Sometimes our differing definitions of words can get us into trouble.  I fall into that third category when it comes to the meaning of the word "friend". This once got me into trouble when someone who used the term to refer to someone whom they really felt was more an acquaintance called me "friend". Differing interpretations of the word meant differing expectations which..looking back..spelled doom from the beginning.

So yes..words do have meaning..but they may not always mean what you think they do...especially in an environment where we have no other information (tone of voice, expression) to go on.

One thing I have learned in life. You should choose your words wisely. One can never "unread" or "unhear" something hurtful or insincere or mean. You can try to take words back..but you really never can.

In other words:

"If you cannot say what you mean, you can never mean what you say."

Sadly, proper use of the english language is a casualty in our culture...something oft-noticed by its progenitors, the English.

Worse, the inability to use the language extends into the use (or misuse) of rhetoric to speak logically and draw supportable conclusions, much less debate issues in a civilized and coherent manner.  These boards are rife with logical fallacies, charged language and naked insinuation...habits gleaned from our talking heads of the media, I'll wager.

I acknowledge my own faults when my writing gets lazy and vague even while I try to set a positive example.

That said, words still have meaning even if they fail to communicate the author's intent, IMO.  Just far less meaning than they would have if used correctly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

Well, are we having the free lunch, or what?

Haha Robin..somehow I wouldn't count on it. Heck..if BDC can finally get this forum working right I'd buy them lunch!

"This post has been removed" seems to be the most popular comment in the Red Sox forum these days. Either there are some really..really thin skinned posters in the sports forum...or the moderating is pretty bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

In other words:

"If you cannot say what you mean, you can never mean what you say."

Sadly, proper use of the english language is a casualty in our culture...something oft-noticed by its progenitors, the English.

Worse, the inability to use the language extends into the use (or misuse) of rhetoric to speak logically and draw supportable conclusions, much less debate issues in a civilized and coherent manner.  These boards are rife with logical fallacies, charged language and naked insinuation...habits gleaned from our talking heads of the media, I'll wager.

I acknowledge my own faults when my writing gets lazy and vague even while I try to set a positive example.

That said, words still have meaning even if they fail to communicate the author's intent, IMO.  Just far less meaning than they would have if used correctly.

[/QUOTE]

Matty..you are almost always pretty clear about what you mean..at least in my opinion. There's only been a couple of times when I haven't quite gotten your point. I know this type of writing is very casual, but I wish some people would at least put a little effort into trying to articulate instead of just regurgitating what some other website has told them.

Your last line is true for sure, but there is a always a danger in being misunderstood.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Another great post, miscricket. I enjoy your posts. Always thoughtful and well written. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to AlleyCatBruin's comment:

[QUOTE]

Another great post, miscricket. I enjoy your posts. Always thoughtful and well written. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Al...and Happy Sunday :-)

Sections
Shortcuts