Yes clueless Eric Holder, a national conversation on race is needed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Yes clueless Eric Holder, a national conversation on race is needed

POLITICO:

Let’s take the advice of the attorney general of the United States. Let’s have a national conversation about race in the wake of the Zimmerman case. Let’s make it a painfully honest conversation — except about all the things that are painful for us to admit.

Let’s take a tragedy and make it a racial crime. Let’s not acknowledge the evidence suggesting that Trayvon Martin was beating George Zimmerman. Let’s never, ever admit that if Martin hadn’t hit Zimmerman, he would almost certainly be alive today.

Let’s act as if the main threat to young black men in America is overzealous neighborhood watch volunteers who erroneously consider them suspicious, call the police and follow them, then shoot them in self-defense after a violent altercation in confusing circumstances that will never be entirely disentangled. Let’s pretend that this happens all the time.

Let’s send down the memory hole reports of burglaries and attempted break-ins in Zimmerman’s community that, according to a Reuters report, “had created an atmosphere of growing fear in the neighborhood.”

Let’s ignore that Zimmerman is from a mixed-race household. Let’s forget that he initially didn’t mention Martin’s race on his 911 call and said he “looks black” only when prompted by the operator. Let’s disregard testimony about his good character, lest it get in the way of the national dialogue about how he’s a racist murder who got away with it.

Let’s say the trial was about race in America or about whether black men can walk home from the store or any other insipid, racially charged nonsense to fill the air or the column inches. The national conversation cannot afford to get mired down in legal niceties like what constitutes lawful self-defense, let alone reasonable doubt.

Let’s call people we disagree with racists. We often do that anyway, but during such an open discussion, it is particularly important that dissenting voices be swiftly condemned. Richard Cohen, who wrote that Zimmerman might have had legitimate grounds to be suspicious of Martin? That guy is David Duke with a Washington Post column. Please refer all complaints about the publication of his piece to Fred Hiatt, editorial page editor of the Post. People have an obligation to be careful about what they say or publish during a national dialogue about race, especially one as freewheeling as this.

Let’s not talk about the 90 percent of black murder victims killed by other blacks. That is not a fit topic for the nation’s wide-ranging national conversation. Why should we get worked up about something that happens on the streets of Chicago literally every night? If you are bothered by routine slaughter, sadly, you just don’t get it. For national conversation purposes, not all murders are equal.

Let’s blast New York City’s stop-and-frisk policy as the worst kind of racial inequity. Let’s not bother to note that New York City once had 2,200 murders a year and now has 400, nor that many of the thousands of lives saved are those of black men. Let’s focus on the important thing — condemning the policy that is saving those lives as heinously racist.

Let’s talk about guns, except the guns that black men use to shoot other black men. No one should worry too much about those guns, or attempt to take them out of the hands of the people carrying them illegally, because that’s racist (please see above and try to follow along — this essential national dialogue cannot succeed without your careful attention).

Let’s listen to the attorney general inveigh against Stand Your Ground laws and make believe that he knows what the hell he’s talking about. Let’s ignore that the Stand Your Ground law wasn’t the reason the Sanford, Fla., police initially didn’t arrest Zimmerman and that it had nothing to do with the trial.

In short, let’s take a terrible event and make it a festival for all our ideological and racial ax-grinding and a showcase for our inability or unwillingness to reason clearly. Let’s do it in perpetually high dudgeon and while simultaneously patting ourselves on the back about our fearlessness and honesty.

Yes, Mr. Attorney General, you are right. This conversation is exactly what the country needs

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/george-zimmerman-race-trayvon-martin-national-conversation-94381.html#ixzz2ZYBeXeqF

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/george-zimmerman-race-trayvon-martin-national-conversation-94381.html#ixzz2ZYBRBLHU

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Re: Yes clueless Eric Holder, a national conversation on race is needed

CLC,

If you do not think a national conversation about race, as uncomfortable as the topic is, is needed in our country, I really am at a loss for words.

As Obama said, we need to look to our better angels. We need to strive to a more perfect union. Not a perfect union yet, but a more perfect union.

Every decade we get better on this issue. But we are far from there yet.

You are not a black parent who had to explain the Zimmerman verdict to their kids. Neither am I.

But there is something called empathy. Think about that for awhile.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Clueless Br'er Crankup still hasn't seen the ball since the kickoff .....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Sister,

I am smiling. You have a great way of putting things succinctly. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sister,

I am smiling. You have a great way of putting things succinctly. 

[/QUOTE]

and simply too 3:)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Want to help poor black people? The dialogue needs to be about our failed liberal welfare policies, which have resulted in a breakdown of 2 parent families.

The welfare system is not the solution... it is the problem. President Obama has done nothing, in fact he has exacerbated the problem.  He once mentioned he wished he had a father; yet his liberal statist welfare polcies practically guaraantee young blacks have no father, other than the Government.

Father-absent families—black and white alike—generally occupy the bottom rung of our society’s economic ladder. Unwed mothers, regardless of their race, are four times more likely to live in poverty than the average American. Female-headed black families earn only 36 percent as much as two-parent black families, and female-headed white families earn just 46 percent as much as two-parent white families. Not only do unmarried mothers tend to earn relatively little, but their households are obviously limited to a single breadwinner—thus further widening the income gap between one-parent and two-parent families. Fully 85 percent of all black children in poverty live in single-parent, mother-child homes.

While the overall black poverty rate remains about two-and-a-half times higher than the white poverty rate (24 percent vs. 10 percent), the “face” of black poverty has changed dramatically in recent decades. At one time, almost all black families were poor, regardless of whether one or both parents were present. Today, however, two-parent black families are rarely poor. Among black families where both the husband and wife work full-time, the current poverty rate is a mere 2 percent. Moreover, the relatively small (13 percent) income disparity between black and white two-parent families completely disappears when we take into account such factors as occupational choices, educational attainment, age, geographic location, and comparative skills.

Children in single-parent households are raised not only with economic, but also social and psychological, disadvantages. For instance, they are four times as likely as children from intact families to be abused or neglected; much likelier to have trouble academically; twice as prone to drop out of school; three times more likely to have behavioral problems; much more apt to experience emotional disorders; far likelier to have a weak sense right and wrong; significantly less able to delay gratification and to control their violent or sexual impulses; two-and-a-half times likelier to be sexually active as teens; approximately twice as likely to conceive children out-of-wedlock when they are teens or young adults; and three times likelier to be on welfare when they reach adulthood.

Growing up without a father is a far better forecaster of a boy’s future criminality than either race or poverty. Regardless of race, 70 percent of all young people in state reform institutions were raised in fatherless homes, as were 60 percent of rapists, 72 percent of adolescent murderers, and 70 percent of long-term prison inmates. As Heritage Foundation scholar Robert Rector has noted, “Illegitimacy is a major factor in America's crime problem. Lack of married parents, rather than race or poverty, is the principal factor in the crime rate.”

Liberal policies have given us Detroit, and a breakdown of the black family, which had lower illegitimacy rates than whites, before white liberals decided to help with destructive welfare polcies starting in the 60s.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

CLC,

If you do not think a national conversation about race, as uncomfortable as the topic is, is needed in our country, I really am at a loss for words.

As Obama said, we need to look to our better angels. We need to strive to a more perfect union. Not a perfect union yet, but a more perfect union.

You are not a black parent who had to explain the Zimmerman verdict to their kids. Neither am I.

I'm at a loss for words that you think a conversation on race can exclude so many facts.

I have come to the conclusion that when liberals say we need a conversation on this or that, in this case race, they mean the exact opposite.  what they really mean is let me push an agenda where dissenters are shot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Why does a demand for a conversation about race between white and black people stem from a criminal case between a hispanic and a black person?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

CLC,

I'm at a loss for words that you think a conversation on race can exclude so many facts.

I have come to the conclusion that when liberals say we need a conversation on this or that, in this case race, they mean the exact opposite.  what they really mean is let me push an agenda where dissenters are shot.

[/QUOTE]

"where dissenters are shot" ....... as usual skeeter doesn't get it !

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

To A_Concerned_Citizen I'm not the "brightest bulb in the bunch" but I know when an essay is well thought out, well written and to the point ....... A+ for your post of 7/20/2013@1423 .

Semper Fi !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"States" dont vote. Individuals do.
    The fact is, if you are poor and uneducated, no matter what state you live in, you very likely vote Democrat. If you are reliant upon the Nanny State government, whether getting a welfare check , or having a cushy public sector job, you vote Democrat. 

If you are self-reliant, in the private sector, and make over 30K, you likely vote Republican.

If you are more educated, you likely vote Republican. Except for egghead PhDs.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG3MTuBu_ko

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

cherry picking the 100K figure for one election, doesnt prove anything.

Even in the Obama victory in 2012,  Obama’s vote percentage declines in straight line fashion as income rises. He got 63 percent of the votes of Americans making less than $30,000 [his base of those who dont work and/or collect government checks]  and 57 percent of those making between $30,000 and $50,000 [that surprises me]. 

Romney won 53 percent of the votes of Americans making between $50 and a $100 thousand [self reliant middle class folks] and 54 percent of the votes of Americans making above $100,000...

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Why does a demand for a conversation about race between white and black people stem from a criminal case between a hispanic and a black person?

I see.

We need to wait for skeeter's opinion on when it is an appropriate time to discuss race, at which point, we will blame libruls per CLC.

Got it.

Once again ignoring the facts.

Liberalism makes so much more sense when facts are not part of the discussion.

Here's an overview ofthe conversation on race so far:

Holder and Liberals: "Let's have a conversation on race.  We will start. 

Holder and Liberals: "I'd like to comment on the case in Florida where a Hispanic shot a black person.  White people are holding us down"

Conservatives: " Well, that might not be the complete truth..."

Holder and Liberals: " RACIST!!!"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

If I was going to hold a discussion about race my first item on the agenda would be how to strengthen the Voting Right Act , not weaken it and my second item would be how to overturn Citizens United. My reasoning for it is that you want the citizens of this Country to feel as if their voices are being heard ..... right now they are just falling on deaf ears !

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

If I was going to hold a discussion about race my first item on the agenda would be how to strengthen the Voting Right Act , not weaken it and my second item would be how to overturn Citizens United. My reasoning for it is that you want the citizens of this Country to feel as if their voices are being heard ..... right now they are just falling on deaf ears !

The irony of a clueless anti-"Citizens United" liberal who cant wait to repeal the First Amendment, wanting "corporations" to be prohibited from speech...opining on a web site voluntarily hosted by a corporation...and getting the daily leftist talking points from HuffPost or MSNBC, which are 'corporations'....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts