Yet another Obama record accomplishment: 48 million on food stamps

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Yet another Obama record accomplishment: 48 million on food stamps

Conservatives always point to the food stamp numbers, but there are two points that stop them in their tracks.

1) Food stamp enrollment doubled under Bush, as well.  And that was in the midst of a housing bubble - an artificially created economic boom.  Does any hones person really fault the administration that inherits the collapse, but give the guy who had the economic pedal to the metal for eight years a free pass?

2) Do away with food stamps, and Americans will starve to death.  No matter how lazy or incompetent you are, if you're an American, the majority of other Americans want their Government to help stop you from starving.  And even the staunchest, most "I built everything I have with my own two hands" conservative would not want your kids, who have not yet proven themselves to be lazy or incompetent, to starve to death.  So there's really no alternative being suggested.

Queue the silence or change of subject ...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Conservatives always point to the food stamp numbers, but there are two points that stop them in their tracks.

1) Food stamp enrollment doubled under Bush, as well.  And that was in the midst of a housing bubble - an artificially created economic boom.  Does any hones person really fault the administration that inherits the collapse, but give the guy who had the economic pedal to the metal for eight years a free pass?

2) Do away with food stamps, and Americans will starve to death.  No matter how lazy or incompetent you are, if you're an American, the majority of other Americans want their Government to help stop you from starving.  And even the staunchest, most "I built everything I have with my own two hands" conservative would not want your kids, who have not yet proven themselves to be lazy or incompetent, to starve to death.  So there's really no alternative being suggested.

I keep telling you Bush was no conservative, and now you offer even more proof.

people don't starve in this country, food stamps or not.  Simply put, there is too much food.

food stamps represent the need to subsidize some number of people because of the negative impact of government. How else do you explain the growth in food stamp recipients year in year out as the Obama recovery progresses?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Before they starve to death, they will storm the castles.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

people don't starve in this country, food stamps or not.  Simply put, there is too much food.

food stamps represent the need to subsidize some number of people because of the negative impact of government. How else do you explain the growth in food stamp recipients year in year out as the Obama recovery progresses?

Many people are very hungry in this country - food stamps or not.  Wasted food gets thrown away - it does not magically appear in the mouths of the hungry.  Half the SNAP enrollees are children.

Growth in enrollment is slowing dramatically as the economy improves.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

Many people are very hungry in this country - food stamps or not.  Wasted food gets thrown away - it does not magically appear in the mouths of the hungry.  Half the SNAP enrollees are children.

The economy is not improving.  I know you think that Reps want the economy to "not improve" but, it simply is not improving due to debt and incompetent leadership.  A Conservative`s existence is based on a thriving economy, good jobs, low taxes, and confidence in our leaders.  We have NONE of the above.  Every time I hear someone (always a Lib) say, "the economy is improving", I laugh out loud.  We are nanoseconds away from disaster.

Secondly, the problem is not starving people, it`s the simple fact that SNAP and EBT are total scams and (literally) do not pay for food only.  They are being used for booze, butts, and drugs.  There are 19,000 SNAP people in Massachusetts alone that cannot be located. Total scam.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"Growth in enrollment is slowing dramatically as the economy improves"

Wrong...the liberal bureaucrats are expanding the EBT program as fast as they can..

"Forty states and the District of Columbia enable families to receive food stamps by sending them brochures funded through a federal welfare program (TANF) or referring them to a federal 800-number telephone hotline. (Federal law allows presumed beneficiaries of TANF to receive food stamps without meeting any further eligibility requirements.) Thirty-nine of these jurisdictions impose no asset test whatsoever when conferring these benefits; 27 allow food stamps to go to families with gross incomes above the approved federal poverty guidelines. "
    " The so-called “heat and eat” loophole allows states to expand eligibility for food stamps by up to $130 per month simply by sending a family a $1 check from the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). (The program is aimed at families whose heating/cooling bills are included in their rent, rather than being paid directly. By paying families a token $1 of heating/cooling aid, the state qualifies them as “fuel assistance households,” which entitles them to increased food-stamp allowances.)"

.... the Left is establishing a new and breathtaking precedent. In essence, they maintain that there should be no limiting principle to the modern welfare state. If you can identify a loophole, real or imagined, that creates millions of new wards of the state and shovels tens of billions of additional tax dollars into the cornucopia of welfare programs, the Left will defend it with no questions asked.

Unlike previous welfare-reform battles, where conservatives pursued statutory changes to place limits on program eligibility standards or benefit levels, this fight is simply about enforcing the agreed-upon contours of current law. In its opposition, the Left seeks to undermine the considered judgment of previous Congresses and let unelected bureaucrats rewrite federal welfare laws so that virtually anyone can qualify for federal benefits.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

Before they starve to death, they will storm the castles.  

But, they won't starve to death.  there is too much food in this country.  the need for food stamps is an illogical argument.  The government is selling you a bill of goods with food stamps. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Jesus didn't say He would feed everybody, he commanded YOU to feed everybody.  It is a personal mandate.

But, if you don't get that, and you see a hungry person along your path, just keep screaming and repeating "SOMEBODY OUGHT TO FEED THAT POOR MAN!". And above all else, just keep walking.  sooner or later that person will be far behind you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Well, at some level, hunger has been a problem for humankind since the begining of time.  My poit would be that food stamps are unnecessary, and distort real solution for the hungry.

Afterall, we are the breadbasket for the world.  there is plenty of food here.

I also woudl draw a distinction between hunger and starving.  Many of the liberals here are using the latter term.  If is nonsense.  No one is starving in this country, at least not intentionally.  But, should someone cross your path that is starving, by all means, feed them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Jesus didn't say He would feed everybody, he commanded YOU to feed everybody.  It is a personal mandate.

But, if you don't get that, and you see a hungry person along your path, just keep screaming and repeating "SOMEBODY OUGHT TO FEED THAT POOR MAN!". And above all else, just keep walking.  sooner or later that person will be far behind you.

I never turn my back on any human being ...... unlike the righties and holy rollers like you who sing so loudly at church every Sunday and who forget the meaning of Luke 14: 13/14 as soon as they walk out the pew !

BTW I thought the holy rollers lived by John 14:12 ?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

people don't starve in this country, food stamps or not.  

And a more out-of-touch response couldn't be imagined if one tried.

You really have NO clue, do you...??  

Step out side of that rose-colored bubble some time.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

I never turn my back on any human being ...... unlike the righties and holy rollers like you who sing so loudly at church every Sunday and who forget the meaning of Luke 14: 13/14 as soon as they walk out the pew !

BTW I thought the holy rollers lived by John 14:12 ?

Sis, the Republicans give much more to charity than the Democrats.  I was taught from an early age to always donate 10% of my income to charity and to this day, I do.  I sometimes give more for "surprise" events.....IE: Sandy, Tsunami, Katrina, etc....

You seem to be an exception to the "Democrats talk big but give nothing rule".  Thank you for that and keep helping your fellow man.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

people don't starve in this country, food stamps or not.  

And a more out-of-touch response couldn't be imagined if one tried.

You really have NO clue, do you...??  

Step out side of that rose-colored bubble some time.  

You don't do your cause any good by claiming an unsupportable (and phony) moral high ground and ignore the facts. 

We have so much food in this country, we turn 40% of the corn we grow into fuel.

We have so much food in this country that obesity, not hunger, is the pressing concern for the less furtunate.

We have so much food that Bloomberg tried to ban Big Gulps, becasue it was making the very people we are trying to help, fat.

The claims that there are "food deserts" , where food is scares, found completely bogus by a RAND study.

I work at a soup kitchen several times a month in the city.  I have never seen an emaciated, staring person.  I see lot's of obese people.  Poor diet choices, I imagine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Well, at some level, hunger has been a problem for humankind since the begining of time.  My poit would be that food stamps are unnecessary, and distort real solution for the hungry.

I also woudl draw a distinction between hunger and starving.  Many of the liberals here are using the latter term.  If is nonsense.  No one is starving in this country, at least not intentionally.  But, should someone cross your path that is starving, by all means, feed them.

These people aren't in your path.  

People are hungry with food stamps - they would starve without them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Do you not think there are people who are on food stamps who, if they prioritized, wouldn't need to be on food stamps?  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

Doing extensive searches on "hunger in the US" and "starvation in the US".  All hunger data points to EBT and SNAP programs and the growing numbers.  All starvation data points to none.

Virtually no starvation deaths.  If someone can find any different info, I would love ot read/see it.

Maybe I`m not searching in the right place but it sure seems like starvation in the US is an ideologicall myth (yet another) on the Left. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

You are buying the phony argument from government and the left.  no one, NO ONE, is being prevented from starving in this country due to food stamps.  It is complete BS.

We have an embarrasment of food in this country.  The only thing food stamps does is breed dependence on the government.

readthis:

First, studies of poor households show that almost half own their own homes, three quarters own a car, and almost all have a color television. The American poor seem to have money for things other than food for their children, if the one-in-five statistic is to be believed.

Second, advocacy groups (with Michelle Obama as a leading spokesperson) now appear to have decided that the problem is childhood obesity, not hunger. The children, especially of the poor, are not going to bed hungry. They are eating too much of the wrong foods.

Third, if the one-in-five statistic is correct, the public food stamps and school free lunch programs must be colossal failures. Despite their wide reach into poor communities, they apparently leave more than thirty percent of school children “struggling with hunger.”

The whole article here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2011/11/20/are-one-in-five-american-children-hungry/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to tacobreath's comment:

The economy is not improving.  I know you think that Reps want the economy to "not improve" but, it simply is not improving due to debt and incompetent leadership.  A Conservative`s existence is based on a thriving economy, good jobs, low taxes, and confidence in our leaders.  We have NONE of the above.  Every time I hear someone (always a Lib) say, "the economy is improving", I laugh out loud.  We are nanoseconds away from disaster.

Secondly, the problem is not starving people, it`s the simple fact that SNAP and EBT are total scams and (literally) do not pay for food only.  They are being used for booze, butts, and drugs.  There are 19,000 SNAP people in Massachusetts alone that cannot be located. Total scam.

Here's where we were in 2008 - 800,000 jobs lost each month, 7 million new SNAP enrollees.  1.2 trillion dollar deficit.  Dow Jones at 8,000.  

Here's where we are in 2013 - 200,000 jobs gained each month, 3 million new SNAP enrollees (consistent with Bush years), projected 800,000 dollar deficit, Dow Jones at 14,000.

We've survived the disaster.  If you don't see improvement, check the prescription on your lenses.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Do you not think there are people who are on food stamps who, if they prioritized, wouldn't need to be on food stamps?  

I think some people are on food stamps because they are lazy, but I think they are the minority.  Half the enrollees are children.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

I think some people are on food stamps because they are lazy, but I think they are the minority.  Half the enrollees are children.  

Do you have stats showing the "lazy" are in minority?

Sections
Shortcuts