2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Yet another Obama record accomplishment: 48 million on food stamps

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

Conservatives always point to the food stamp numbers, but there are two points that stop them in their tracks.

1) Food stamp enrollment doubled under Bush, as well.  And that was in the midst of a housing bubble - an artificially created economic boom.  Does any hones person really fault the administration that inherits the collapse, but give the guy who had the economic pedal to the metal for eight years a free pass?

2) Do away with food stamps, and Americans will starve to death.  No matter how lazy or incompetent you are, if you're an American, the majority of other Americans want their Government to help stop you from starving.  And even the staunchest, most "I built everything I have with my own two hands" conservative would not want your kids, who have not yet proven themselves to be lazy or incompetent, to starve to death.  So there's really no alternative being suggested.

Queue the silence or change of subject ...

I keep telling you Bush was no conservative, and now you offer even more proof.

people don't starve in this country, food stamps or not.  Simply put, there is too much food.

food stamps represent the need to subsidize some number of people because of the negative impact of government. How else do you explain the growth in food stamp recipients year in year out as the Obama recovery progresses?

Many people are very hungry in this country - food stamps or not.  Wasted food gets thrown away - it does not magically appear in the mouths of the hungry.  Half the SNAP enrollees are children.

Growth in enrollment is slowing dramatically as the economy improves.  

Well, at some level, hunger has been a problem for humankind since the begining of time.  My poit would be that food stamps are unnecessary, and distort real solution for the hungry.

Afterall, we are the breadbasket for the world.  there is plenty of food here.

I also woudl draw a distinction between hunger and starving.  Many of the liberals here are using the latter term.  If is nonsense.  No one is starving in this country, at least not intentionally.  But, should someone cross your path that is starving, by all means, feed them.

These people aren't in your path.  

People are hungry with food stamps - they would starve without them.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

You are buying the phony argument from government and the left.  no one, NO ONE, is being prevented from starving in this country due to food stamps.  It is complete BS.

We have an embarrasment of food in this country.  The only thing food stamps does is breed dependence on the government.

readthis:

First, studies of poor households show that almost half own their own homes, three quarters own a car, and almost all have a color television. The American poor seem to have money for things other than food for their children, if the one-in-five statistic is to be believed.

Second, advocacy groups (with Michelle Obama as a leading spokesperson) now appear to have decided that the problem is childhood obesity, not hunger. The children, especially of the poor, are not going to bed hungry. They are eating too much of the wrong foods.

Third, if the one-in-five statistic is correct, the public food stamps and school free lunch programs must be colossal failures. Despite their wide reach into poor communities, they apparently leave more than thirty percent of school children “struggling with hunger.”

The whole article here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2011/11/20/are-one-in-five-american-children-hungry/

I don't know if you've noticed, but cr8ppy food is cheaper than healthy food.  If you're suggesting reform of the programs to get healthier food into these kids, I'm all for it.  The problem with the free lunch program is these kids should be eating breakfast and dinner, and throughout the summer as well.

Take away food stamps - what do you think would happen?  Instead of dedicating a miniscule portion of the federal budget to helping Americans not starve, you're asking Americans to dedicate their time and energy to go into neighborhoods they fear to save people they don't know.  If that was a winning strategy, then why do 10,000 people a year die of starvation in Mexico?  If Americans are willing to do this, wouldn't they be willing to take it a step further to help our neighbors?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Conservatives always point to the food stamp numbers, but there are two points that stop them in their tracks.

1) Food stamp enrollment doubled under Bush, as well.  And that was in the midst of a housing bubble - an artificially created economic boom.  Does any hones person really fault the administration that inherits the collapse, but give the guy who had the economic pedal to the metal for eight years a free pass?

2) Do away with food stamps, and Americans will starve to death.  No matter how lazy or incompetent you are, if you're an American, the majority of other Americans want their Government to help stop you from starving.  And even the staunchest, most "I built everything I have with my own two hands" conservative would not want your kids, who have not yet proven themselves to be lazy or incompetent, to starve to death.  So there's really no alternative being suggested.

people don't starve in this country, food stamps or not.  Simply put, there is too much food.

food stamps represent the need to subsidize some number of people because of the negative impact of government. How else do you explain the growth in food stamp recipients year in year out as the Obama recovery progresses?

Many people are very hungry in this country - food stamps or not.  Wasted food gets thrown away - it does not magically appear in the mouths of the hungry.  Half the SNAP enrollees are children.

Well, at some level, hunger has been a problem for humankind since the begining of time.  My poit would be that food stamps are unnecessary, and distort real solution for the hungry.

I also woudl draw a distinction between hunger and starving.  Many of the liberals here are using the latter term.  If is nonsense.  No one is starving in this country, at least not intentionally.  But, should someone cross your path that is starving, by all means, feed them.

Do you not think there are people who are on food stamps who, if they prioritized, wouldn't need to be on food stamps?  

I think some people are on food stamps because they are lazy, but I think they are the minority.  Half the enrollees are children.  

Do you have stats showing the "lazy" are in minority?

I could show you that 47% are children.  Are you saying that if they are lazy children, to hell with them?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Do you not think there are people who are on food stamps who, if they prioritized, wouldn't need to be on food stamps?  

I think some people are on food stamps because they are lazy, but I think they are the minority.  Half the enrollees are children.  

I could show you that 47% are children.  Are you saying that if they are lazy children, to hell with them?

Course not. But it's their parents who get the food stamps. So the stat would be based on the number of people who get the food stamps. It's the parents who would be the lazy ones

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I work at a soup kitchen several times a month in the city.  I have never seen an emaciated, staring person.  

Well, using just your small sample and estimating just HALF of those people to be on food stamps...

...then it seems the food stamps ARE one of the things keeping people from starving.

Take away the food stamps, and then get back to us.

You also ignore the issue of mal- and under-nutrition, while your elitist crack of "making poor food choices" is the same as "let them eat cake".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Course not. But it's their parents who get the food stamps. So the stat would be based on the number of people who get the food stamps. It's the parents who would be the lazy ones

No, the 48 million stat includes children.  It's a good point - I'd be curious how much house-hold enrollment has actually increased.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

people voted for high unemployment, record numbers of people on welfare and food stamps, a war on job creators, fiscal calamity and unsustainable debt.....they are getting what they deserve....more Obama all the time, bring it on!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

No, the 48 million stat includes children.  It's a good point - I'd be curious how much house-hold enrollment has actually increased.

Well let's see....food stamp qualification is based on household income and resources. Last I checked children don't have an income. So looking at those ADULTS who qualify for food stamps because of lack of income DOES matter

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Well let's see....food stamp qualification is based on household income and resources. Last I checked children don't have an income. So looking at those ADULTS who qualify for food stamps because of lack of income DOES matter

I'm missing your point - do you want to take away a school lunch for a kid because his mother is lazy?  

Let's try this - if there was no gaming of the system at all - if all the food in this program went to hard-working people struggling to feed their families; would you support the program, even if 48 million people were enrolled?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I'm missing your point - do you want to take away a school lunch for a kid because his mother is lazy?  

Let's try this - if there was no gaming of the system at all - if all the food in this program went to hard-working people struggling to feed their families; would you support the program, even if 48 million people were enrolled?

I support it despite the gaming of the system. I just wanted to know if you had figures showing that gamers were in the minority.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I support it despite the gaming of the system. I just wanted to know if you had figures showing that gamers were in the minority.

There are fraud figures (about 5% fraud), and there are figures that can show you what percent of house-holds include working adults (about 75%).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted .... Aesop .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Pope Francis the First ..... I wonder if he will complain about Obama's  people on food stamps record

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to tacobreath's comment:

The economy is not improving.  I know you think that Reps want the economy to "not improve" but, it simply is not improving due to debt and incompetent leadership.  A Conservative`s existence is based on a thriving economy, good jobs, low taxes, and confidence in our leaders.  We have NONE of the above.  Every time I hear someone (always a Lib) say, "the economy is improving", I laugh out loud.  We are nanoseconds away from disaster.

Secondly, the problem is not starving people, it`s the simple fact that SNAP and EBT are total scams and (literally) do not pay for food only.  They are being used for booze, butts, and drugs.  There are 19,000 SNAP people in Massachusetts alone that cannot be located. Total scam.

Here's where we were in 2008 - 800,000 jobs lost each month, 7 million new SNAP enrollees.  1.2 trillion dollar deficit.  Dow Jones at 8,000.  

Here's where we are in 2013 - 200,000 jobs gained each month, 3 million new SNAP enrollees (consistent with Bush years), projected 800,000 dollar deficit, Dow Jones at 14,000.

We've survived the disaster.  If you don't see improvement, check the prescription on your lenses.

Cherry picking.  We haven't survived anything, we are in the thick of the problem.  You are just so ideologically tied to Obama you will say anything, o should I say, repeat what the handlers tell you to.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

There are fraud figures (about 5% fraud), and there are figures that can show you what percent of house-holds include working adults (about 75%).

Fraud doesn't matter.  The entire program is BS.  It is 100% fraud, as it is not needed, as I pointed out in several prior posts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

It is 100% fraud, as it is not needed, as I pointed out in several prior posts.

Pointed out, maybe, but not proven in the least.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

I work at a soup kitchen several times a month in the city.  I have never seen an emaciated, staring person.  

Well, using just your small sample and estimating just HALF of those people to be on food stamps...

...then it seems the food stamps ARE one of the things keeping people from starving.

You also ignore the issue of mal- and under-nutrition, while your elitist crack of "making poor food choices" is the same as "let them eat cake".

Food stamps are not needed, period.  

I know you all want to "feel good" by supporting feeding the starving children, but it is emotion, not fact, in this country.  We are swimming in food to the point where OBESITY is the problem effecting the poor, not hunger, and we turn half of the feed stock into FUEL.

Food is cheaper and more plentiful here than anywhere.  The problem you claim doesn't exist.  People are not starving.

Get your logic straight and get back to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Doing extensive searches on "hunger in the US" and "starvation in the US".  All hunger data points to EBT and SNAP programs and the growing numbers.  All starvation data points to none.

Virtually no starvation deaths.  If someone can find any different info, I would love ot read/see it.

Maybe I`m not searching in the right place but it sure seems like starvation in the US is an ideologicall myth (yet another) on the Left. 

You have it right.  

There are people starving in the world, but it isn't here.

The real problem is that liberals can't admit to the success of private farms and American ingenuity which have brought us to a point where people in this country do not starve.

Instead, they need to create the dependency on government, then claim to solve a problem that does not exist.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Food stamps are not needed, period.  

I know you all want to "feel good" by supporting feeding the starving children, but it is emotion, not fact, in this country.  We are swimming in food to the point where OBESITY is the problem effecting the poor, not hunger, and we turn half of the feed stock into FUEL.

Food is cheaper and more plentiful here than anywhere.  The problem you claim doesn't exist.  People are not starving.

Get your logic straight and get back to me.

Food stamps are not needed ..... and your opinion doesn't count , period .

You have a history of saying some of the most dumbest things that I have ever seen in print but this one takes the CRUMBS ...... not cake .... but CRUMBS .

Now go back to your Soup Kitchen !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Americans are committed to helping our sisters and brothers who are struggling, but we are seeing the damaging human consequences of our broken welfare state," said Senator Jeff Sessions.

"We spend a trillion dollars each year on federal poverty programs. That’s more than the budget for Social Security or Defense. But poverty seems only to increase. Something is wrong. Compassion demands that we change."

If you listen closely to what liberals say, it becomes clear they care less about the poor people becoming self sufficient and moving out of their circumstance...rather, they denigrate poor people by wanting them to be permanent government dependents. Their snotty attitude is, buy them off and shut them up, keep them away from their gated community.

We should get rid of ALL of these programs and millions of bureaucrats, and just offer a cash subsidy to all those in need. One trillion would provide plenty for all.

Would love to see a few more fatcat liberal bureaucrats on the street, after losing their useless job making sure poor people stay poor.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

The economy is not improving.  I know you think that Reps want the economy to "not improve" but, it simply is not improving due to debt and incompetent leadership.  A Conservative`s existence is based on a thriving economy, good jobs, low taxes, and confidence in our leaders.  We have NONE of the above.  Every time I hear someone (always a Lib) say, "the economy is improving", I laugh out loud.  We are nanoseconds away from disaster.

Secondly, the problem is not starving people, it`s the simple fact that SNAP and EBT are total scams and (literally) do not pay for food only.  They are being used for booze, butts, and drugs.  There are 19,000 SNAP people in Massachusetts alone that cannot be located. Total scam.

Here's where we were in 2008 - 800,000 jobs lost each month, 7 million new SNAP enrollees.  1.2 trillion dollar deficit.  Dow Jones at 8,000.  

Here's where we are in 2013 - 200,000 jobs gained each month, 3 million new SNAP enrollees (consistent with Bush years), projected 800,000 dollar deficit, Dow Jones at 14,000.

We've survived the disaster.  If you don't see improvement, check the prescription on your lenses.

I will check my lenses if you look to see if your glasses have a slight tint of rose color.

The last 6 months saw job creation numbers of 112,000, 115,000, 136,000, 150,000.  We saw over 200,000 for the first time last month.  We need approximately 325,000-350,000 just to stay flat.  True unemployment from the CBO and NLRB is 14.4%.  The DOW today is seeing your infamous "millionaires and billionaires" selling off like they just were given 6 months to live.  A collapse is minutes away.  Most major economists are screaming this every day.  The deficit is over $1 trillion this year.  Your "$800 billion" has many assumptions (lies) by the incompetent.

The "disaster" is just beginning.  There is NO SANE person on this earth that would believe "things are improving".  Only very blind Libs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

Doing extensive searches on "hunger in the US" and "starvation in the US".  All hunger data points to EBT and SNAP programs and the growing numbers.  All starvation data points to none.

Virtually no starvation deaths.  If someone can find any different info, I would love ot read/see it.

Maybe I`m not searching in the right place but it sure seems like starvation in the US is an ideologicall myth (yet another) on the Left. 

You have it right.  

The real problem is that liberals can't admit to the success of private farms and American ingenuity which have brought us to a point where people in this country do not starve.

Instead, they need to create the dependency on government, then claim to solve a problem that does not exist.

Thanks.

Still can`t find one death from starvation in the US..............not ONE!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Starvation is simply what would happen if people like Paul Ryan got their way, and a budget was passed that eventually left for domestic spending a smaller dollar amount than it now costs to run the FBI.....   

Because then the entire food-provision arm of the safety net would have to shut down. And no, don't give me that charity nonsense. That it is nonsense is why these programs started in the first place.

Nonetheless, I'm willing to bet that some of the homeless are pretty close to starvation but likely die of disease first - the ones too mentally ill to seek help, etc.

However, how much "hunger" do you think should be tolerable? If a single mom's kid eats one decent meal a day? Two?

As someone who has also worked quite hard, I simply do not see that in the richest country on Earth, we should be saying "eh, as long as they aren't dying in the streets, it's enough".

I'd be all behind stronger enforcement to cut down on abuse of the programs. But I want the programs there.

Humans have a nasty habit of putting too little stock in circumstance when they have worked hard and gotten ahead.

No hunger should be tolerable.  None!  That`s why I give a ton to charity and certainly do my part to support these programs.  We have to have these programs but, we have to stop the abuse.  We also should be striving to reduce the numbers on SNAP and EBT by growing and creating jobs.  Less dependency is a good thing. 

I`m not so sure some of the 47% think this way.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

You have it right.  

Thanks.

Still can`t find one death from starvation in the US..............not ONE!

Duh. Of course not. You kinda proved that EBT/food stamps work.

As usual, my stalker has not read the thread and is, yet again, displaying his/her lack of understanding and comprehension. 

I`ll wait while you go look for the countless Americans that have died from starvation recently, during the last 30 years, and of course, before the Obama administration saw this dramatic increase to 48 million.

Good luck with your reasearch.

Sections
Shortcuts