Yet another Obama record accomplishment: 48 million on food stamps

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: Yet another Obama record accomplishment: 48 million on food stamps

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

I work at a soup kitchen several times a month in the city.  I have never seen an emaciated, staring person.  

Well, using just your small sample and estimating just HALF of those people to be on food stamps...

...then it seems the food stamps ARE one of the things keeping people from starving.

Take away the food stamps, and then get back to us.

You also ignore the issue of mal- and under-nutrition, while your elitist crack of "making poor food choices" is the same as "let them eat cake".

Food stamps are not needed, period.  

I know you all want to "feel good" by supporting feeding the starving children, but it is emotion, not fact, in this country.  We are swimming in food to the point where OBESITY is the problem effecting the poor, not hunger, and we turn half of the feed stock into FUEL.

Food is cheaper and more plentiful here than anywhere.  The problem you claim doesn't exist.  People are not starving.

Get your logic straight and get back to me.

Food stamps are not needed ..... and your opinion doesn't count , period .

You have a history of saying some of the most dumbest things that I have ever seen in print but this one takes the CRUMBS ...... not cake .... but CRUMBS .

Now go back to your Soup Kitchen !

Strange response to a successful market condition that distributes plentiful food in expensively.

but, don't let the facts stop your emotional rant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

In response to tacobreath's comment:

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Maybe I`m not searching in the right place but it sure seems like starvation in the US is an ideologicall myth (yet another) on the Left.

Starvation is simply what would happen if people like Paul Ryan got their way, and a budget was passed that eventually left for domestic spending a smaller dollar amount than it now costs to run the FBI.....   

Because then the entire food-provision arm of the safety net would have to shut down. And no, don't give me that charity nonsense. That it is nonsense is why these programs started in the first place.

Nonetheless, I'm willing to bet that some of the homeless are pretty close to starvation but likely die of disease first - the ones too mentally ill to seek help, etc.

However, how much "hunger" do you think should be tolerable? If a single mom's kid eats one decent meal a day? Two?

As someone who has also worked quite hard, I simply do not see that in the richest country on Earth, we should be saying "eh, as long as they aren't dying in the streets, it's enough".

I'd be all behind stronger enforcement to cut down on abuse of the programs. But I want the programs there.

Humans have a nasty habit of putting too little stock in circumstance when they have worked hard and gotten ahead.

No hunger should be tolerable.  None!  That`s why I give a ton to charity and certainly do my part to support these programs.  We have to have these programs but, we have to stop the abuse.  We also should be striving to reduce the numbers on SNAP and EBT by growing and creating jobs.  Less dependency is a good thing. 

I`m not so sure some of the 47% think this way.

Maybe we should start making things in this country again. Maybe there should be higher tarrifs on imported goods. Maybe business shouldn't be allowed to hire undocumented workers.Maybe CEOs should be held more accountable and not offshore production because it makes their bottom line look better.

Absolutely agree!    Let`s start with Jeff Immelt from GE.  One of America`s wealthiest companies, Immelt made $29 million last year and GE paid ZERO U.S Taxes. 

Oh......and BTW, he`s Obama`s Job Czar!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

"It is 100% fraud, as it is not needed"

" Generally, the elements of an action for deceit are a material misrepresentation of fact by the defendant, made with knowledge of its falsity, with the intent that it be relied on by the plaintiff, and reliance by the plaintiff to his or her damage. "

1 Massachusetts Proof of Cases Civil § 16:2 (2012-2013 ed.)

We live in a country where no one starves, food is plentiful and cheap.  I call that 100% fraud on the part of government.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

Doing extensive searches on "hunger in the US" and "starvation in the US".  All hunger data points to EBT and SNAP programs and the growing numbers.  All starvation data points to none.

Virtually no starvation deaths.  If someone can find any different info, I would love ot read/see it.

Maybe I`m not searching in the right place but it sure seems like starvation in the US is an ideologicall myth (yet another) on the Left. 

You have it right.  

There are people starving in the world, but it isn't here.

The real problem is that liberals can't admit to the success of private farms and American ingenuity which have brought us to a point where people in this country do not starve.

Instead, they need to create the dependency on government, then claim to solve a problem that does not exist.

Thanks.

Still can`t find one death from starvation in the US..............not ONE!

Duh. Of course not. You kinda proved that EBT/food stamps work.

As usual, my stalker has not read the thread and is, yet again, displaying his/her lack of understanding and comprehension. 

I`ll wait while you go look for the countless Americans that have died from starvation recently, during the last 30 years, and of course, before the Obama administration saw this dramatic increase to 48 million.

Good luck with your reasearch.

Double duh. I never said anyone has starved. I simply pointed out that government intervention has made sure this hasn't happened.

Triple duh!  Prove that!  Prove that "intervention" you speak of is anything but a scam and that countless Americans were/are dying from lack of food.

Save yourself some time................you can`t.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Doing extensive searches on "hunger in the US" and "starvation in the US".  All hunger data points to EBT and SNAP programs and the growing numbers.  All starvation data points to none.

Virtually no starvation deaths.  If someone can find any different info, I would love ot read/see it.

You have it right.  

The real problem is that liberals can't admit to the success of private farms and American ingenuity which have brought us to a point where people in this country do not starve.

Instead, they need to create the dependency on government, then claim to solve a problem that does not exist.

Thanks.

Typical liberal logic.  Take away the food stamps and no one will starve.

my wife and I spend @ 60 Dollars a week and eat very well.  When times were tougher, I spent about 40 a week.  That's not a lot to come up with.

I look at that, and then I look at the people in front of me at the checkout counter using their food stamps/EBT cards, talking on their cellphone, getting into their car, and it becomes clear it is not a matter of necessity, but a matter of wanting a cellphone ( for example) more than paying for food.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

You have it right.  

Thanks.

As usual, my stalker has not read the thread and is, yet again, displaying his/her lack of understanding and comprehension. 

I`ll wait while you go look for the countless Americans that have died from starvation recently, during the last 30 years, and of course, before the Obama administration saw this dramatic increase to 48 million.

Good luck with your reasearch.

Double duh. I never said anyone has starved. I simply pointed out that government intervention has made sure this hasn't happened.

It hasn't, government intervention has not prevented people from starving.

what has prevented people from starving is a vibrant free economy that delivers bananas to your market at 70 cents a point. Or, chicken to your market at 69 cents a pound.  Ad, there is such an abundance of food that we ship large quantities to it overseas, and have been doing so for decades.  Remember how we shipped we hearusset he USSR when their planned economy failed?

what food stamps have done is shifted a segment of the population towards dependency.  There is no real problem of starvation in this country.  None. Made up problem.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Starvation is simply what would happen if people like Paul Ryan got their way, and a budget was passed that eventually left for domestic spending a smaller dollar amount than it now costs to run the FBI.....   

Because then the entire food-provision arm of the safety net would have to shut down. And no, don't give me that charity nonsense. That it is nonsense is why these programs started in the first place.

Nonetheless, I'm willing to bet that some of the homeless are pretty close to starvation but likely die of disease first - the ones too mentally ill to seek help, etc.

However, how much "hunger" do you think should be tolerable? If a single mom's kid eats one decent meal a day? Two?

As someone who has also worked quite hard, I simply do not see that in the richest country on Earth, we should be saying "eh, as long as they aren't dying in the streets, it's enough".

I'd be all behind stronger enforcement to cut down on abuse of the programs. But I want the programs there.

Humans have a nasty habit of putting too little stock in circumstance when they have worked hard and gotten ahead.

No hunger should be tolerable.  None!  That`s why I give a ton to charity and certainly do my part to support these programs.  We have to have these programs but, we have to stop the abuse.  We also should be striving to reduce the numbers on SNAP and EBT by growing and creating jobs.  Less dependency is a good thing. 

Maybe we should start making things in this country again. Maybe there should be higher tarrifs on imported goods. Maybe business shouldn't be allowed to hire undocumented workers.Maybe CEOs should be held more accountable and not offshore production because it makes their bottom line look better.

Absolutely agree!    Let`s start with Jeff Immelt from GE.  One of America`s wealthiest companies, Immelt made $29 million last year and GE paid ZERO U.S Taxes. 

Sure! We can start with him, but let's not finish with him. I gotta say, I've new respect for you! I thought you were one of those people who thought the rich had gotten there because of "hard work and being job creators" and that taxing large corporations stifled expansion. But now? I respect you to a certain extent!

rich people didn't get rich due to hard work and being job creators?

So, are you saying successful people are bad people? Did all of them become rich solely by taking advantage of people?  If you are rich, you got there through nefarious means?

typical liberal illogic, that rich people are all Snidley Whiplash's.  

i smell jealousy. And a poor understanding of what it takes to be successful.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

skeeter you pay 60 dollars a week on food ............ no wonder you visit a soup kitchen sereval times of month ...... you are eating there for FREE !

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

skeeter you pay 60 dollars a week on food ............ no wonder you visit a soup kitchen sereval times of month ...... you are eating there for FREE !

Haha.

no. I eat mostly fresh food, no red meat. No processed food at all, I.e. frozen pizzas, etc.

you can eat well on sixty dollars.

i do eat at the soup kitchen, but only after everyone else has been served.  Sometimes, there is nothing left.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

Sure! We can start with him, but let's not finish with him. I gotta say, I've new respect for you! I thought you were one of those people who thought the rich had gotten there because of "hard work and being job creators" and that taxing large corporations stifled expansion. But now? I respect you to a certain extent!

Thanks , I think.  Listen, I don`t come here to be an ornery twit.  There are some real smart people here and I like the debate.

We have been victimized for 20 years by the "move" overseas to less expensive labor.  You are exactly correct.  Let`s bring it back, let`s increase taxes on the imports, close the loopholes, and bring manufacturing back.

GE, Apple, Motorola, are all good places to start. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Haha.

no. I eat mostly fresh food, no red meat. No processed food at all, I.e. frozen pizzas, etc.

i do eat at the soup kitchen, but only after everyone else has been served.  Sometimes, there is nothing left.

Why are you laughing ....... I wouldn't be bragging about spending 60 dollars a week on a family of two to eat and visiting a soup kitchen .. I would be embarrassed !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

The major problem with food aid is not fraud. It's that it is still geared to depression-era goals: maximizing caloric intake.

If we meant to tackle obeisity, food aid would be only usable on certain types of foods. And there are plenty of low-preparation cheap and nutricious foods:

Beans

Chicken, particularly whole chicken

Beef chuck

Bananas, apples, lettuce

And so on. If one couldn't use food aid to buy frozen meals, sodas, candy, and desert.......      one would have to learn the basics of cooking.

It took me roughly 5 minutes to figure out how to roast a chicken. Insert stuffing (which can be pre-bought, can be bread crumbs, can be anything really - rice and beans if you like). 2.5 hours on 375.

(Though it's best if the first half is spent wrapped in a foil volcano - much juicier at the end.

All sorts of cheap nutricious food is easy to make with minimal equipment.

Keep it wet and you can cook it for a good long time, (if you`ve got a wife like mine that freaks if it isn`t in for 3 hours).  Lately, I`ve been dropping the 7-8 lb roasters in a bucket of salt water brine overnight first. Let it rest for 15 min before you slice...........pretty darn good.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Conservatives always point to the food stamp numbers, but there are two points that stop them in their tracks.

1) Food stamp enrollment doubled under Bush, as well.  And that was in the midst of a housing bubble - an artificially created economic boom.  Does any hones person really fault the administration that inherits the collapse, but give the guy who had the economic pedal to the metal for eight years a free pass?

2) Do away with food stamps, and Americans will starve to death.  No matter how lazy or incompetent you are, if you're an American, the majority of other Americans want their Government to help stop you from starving.  And even the staunchest, most "I built everything I have with my own two hands" conservative would not want your kids, who have not yet proven themselves to be lazy or incompetent, to starve to death.  So there's really no alternative being suggested.

Queue the silence or change of subject ...

I keep telling you Bush was no conservative, and now you offer even more proof.

people don't starve in this country, food stamps or not.  Simply put, there is too much food.

food stamps represent the need to subsidize some number of people because of the negative impact of government. How else do you explain the growth in food stamp recipients year in year out as the Obama recovery progresses?

Many people are very hungry in this country - food stamps or not.  Wasted food gets thrown away - it does not magically appear in the mouths of the hungry.  Half the SNAP enrollees are children.

Growth in enrollment is slowing dramatically as the economy improves.  

The economy is not improving.  I know you think that Reps want the economy to "not improve" but, it simply is not improving due to debt and incompetent leadership.  A Conservative`s existence is based on a thriving economy, good jobs, low taxes, and confidence in our leaders.  We have NONE of the above.  Every time I hear someone (always a Lib) say, "the economy is improving", I laugh out loud.  We are nanoseconds away from disaster.

Secondly, the problem is not starving people, it`s the simple fact that SNAP and EBT are total scams and (literally) do not pay for food only.  They are being used for booze, butts, and drugs.  There are 19,000 SNAP people in Massachusetts alone that cannot be located. Total scam.

Here's where we were in 2008 - 800,000 jobs lost each month, 7 million new SNAP enrollees.  1.2 trillion dollar deficit.  Dow Jones at 8,000.  

Here's where we are in 2013 - 200,000 jobs gained each month, 3 million new SNAP enrollees (consistent with Bush years), projected 800,000 dollar deficit, Dow Jones at 14,000.

We've survived the disaster.  If you don't see improvement, check the prescription on your lenses.

Cherry picking.  We haven't survived anything, we are in the thick of the problem.  You are just so ideologically tied to Obama you will say anything, o should I say, repeat what the handlers tell you to.

Chery-picking - that's funny.  This is usually when you look at a 4-month sample of gas prices to tell us what a failure Obama has been.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

rich people didn't get rich due to hard work and being job creators?

So, are you saying successful people are bad people? Did all of them become rich solely by taking advantage of people?  If you are rich, you got there through nefarious means?

typical liberal illogic, that rich people are all Snidley Whiplash's.  

i smell jealousy. And a poor understanding of what it takes to be successful.

Hey Skooter, slow down there. Go back and read the thread. I'm not saying successful people are all bad no more than I'm saying they're all good. But sure, some of them get there through nefarious means. Off-shore work or profits? Hire illegals at sub par wages? Cut workers hours to avoid paying for benefits? All for your bottom line? Well yes, I've got a problem with being "successful". I guess the definition of "success" varies from person to person. Is it how much money you make? Is it pride in a job well done? Is it having children? Is it a big house? Is it being in love with someone who loves you? Is it happiness? Or is it simply being content?

So, you focus on the few bad successful people, and ignore the majority good successful people?

Nice topic shift into other measurements of success.  I actually agree with that part. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

The major problem with food aid is not fraud. It's that it is still geared to depression-era goals: maximizing caloric intake.

If we meant to tackle obeisity, food aid would be only usable on certain types of foods. And there are plenty of low-preparation cheap and nutricious foods:

Beans

Chicken, particularly whole chicken

Beef chuck

Bananas, apples, lettuce

And so on. If one couldn't use food aid to buy frozen meals, sodas, candy, and desert.......      one would have to learn the basics of cooking.

It took me roughly 5 minutes to figure out how to roast a chicken. Insert stuffing (which can be pre-bought, can be bread crumbs, can be anything really - rice and beans if you like). 2.5 hours on 375.

(Though it's best if the first half is spent wrapped in a foil volcano - much juicier at the end.

All sorts of cheap nutricious food is easy to make with minimal equipment.

Keep it wet and you can cook it for a good long time, (if you`ve got a wife like mine that freaks if it isn`t in for 3 hours).  Lately, I`ve been dropping the 7-8 lb roasters in a bucket of salt water brine overnight first. Let it rest for 15 min before you slice...........pretty darn good.

Oh I meant to include the weight: 2.5 hours for 4-5 pounds.    Your wife is probably right, if you're using 7-8 pounders.

I actually haven't tried brining a roast. Hmmmm. May give it a go. Brined all sorts of other things.

As for turkeys - and this may be worthwhile for larger chickens - before dressing in spices or whatever you use (I coat chicken with smashed garlic, rosemary, paprika, chili powder - not hot) - to rest a freezer pack over each breast for a good 20-30m. Since breasts cook faster, this should keep them more in time with the dark meat. Juicier still.

Brining: Same for baby back ribs. Especially if, after that, you then soak them in guiness and newcastle for another 3 hours. Then braise them for half the total cook time in that beer, then transfer to pan, dry-rub with spices, and slow cook for the second half.

It doesn't hurt to take a couple barbaque sauces, brown sugar, honey, more spices, a little soy sauce, and a couple shots of whiskey and blend it together....brush on for the last 15 minutes so it glazes but all the sugar doesn't thicken or sear.

Not exactly healthy....but quite good.

Geeeez............I`m going shopping for the weekend now.  I`m grabbing a roaster for Sat and using your recipe.  A corned beef for Sunday.  Nice and easy..........throw it in a pot and drink beer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Haha.

You and your wife eat well on $4.28 a day?  Who's your wife - Sally Struthers?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

Conservatives always point to the food stamp numbers, but there are two points that stop them in their tracks.

1) Food stamp enrollment doubled under Bush, as well.  And that was in the midst of a housing bubble - an artificially created economic boom.  Does any hones person really fault the administration that inherits the collapse, but give the guy who had the economic pedal to the metal for eight years a free pass?

2) Do away with food stamps, and Americans will starve to death.  No matter how lazy or incompetent you are, if you're an American, the majority of other Americans want their Government to help stop you from starving.  And even the staunchest, most "I built everything I have with my own two hands" conservative would not want your kids, who have not yet proven themselves to be lazy or incompetent, to starve to death.  So there's really no alternative being suggested.

Queue the silence or change of subject ...

I keep telling you Bush was no conservative, and now you offer even more proof.

people don't starve in this country, food stamps or not.  Simply put, there is too much food.

food stamps represent the need to subsidize some number of people because of the negative impact of government. How else do you explain the growth in food stamp recipients year in year out as the Obama recovery progresses?

Many people are very hungry in this country - food stamps or not.  Wasted food gets thrown away - it does not magically appear in the mouths of the hungry.  Half the SNAP enrollees are children.

Growth in enrollment is slowing dramatically as the economy improves.  

The economy is not improving.  I know you think that Reps want the economy to "not improve" but, it simply is not improving due to debt and incompetent leadership.  A Conservative`s existence is based on a thriving economy, good jobs, low taxes, and confidence in our leaders.  We have NONE of the above.  Every time I hear someone (always a Lib) say, "the economy is improving", I laugh out loud.  We are nanoseconds away from disaster.

Secondly, the problem is not starving people, it`s the simple fact that SNAP and EBT are total scams and (literally) do not pay for food only.  They are being used for booze, butts, and drugs.  There are 19,000 SNAP people in Massachusetts alone that cannot be located. Total scam.

Here's where we were in 2008 - 800,000 jobs lost each month, 7 million new SNAP enrollees.  1.2 trillion dollar deficit.  Dow Jones at 8,000.  

Here's where we are in 2013 - 200,000 jobs gained each month, 3 million new SNAP enrollees (consistent with Bush years), projected 800,000 dollar deficit, Dow Jones at 14,000.

We've survived the disaster.  If you don't see improvement, check the prescription on your lenses.

Cherry picking.  We haven't survived anything, we are in the thick of the problem.  You are just so ideologically tied to Obama you will say anything, o should I say, repeat what the handlers tell you to.

Chery-picking - that's funny.  This is usually when you look at a 4-month sample of gas prices to tell us what a failure Obama has been.

You dwell alot on your "theory" that "Obama gas" is similar to "Bush gas".  With respect, you`re wrong. Obama took over with gas at 1.82/gallon.  It hasn`t been under 3.00/gallon since.

Obama is a huge failure slomag...............nothing is better, nothing.  Get real.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Haha.

You and your wife eat well on $4.28 a day?  Who's your wife - Sally Struthers?

Yep.  And eat well.  I avoid Whole Foods, where you propbably shop.

Food is cheap in this country.  You just need to stay away from the package goods and eat a healthy diet.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

Thanks , I think.  Listen, I don`t come here to be an ornery twit.  There are some real smart people here and I like the debate.

We have been victimized for 20 years by the "move" overseas to less expensive labor.  You are exactly correct.  Let`s bring it back, let`s increase taxes on the imports, close the loopholes, and bring manufacturing back.

GE, Apple, Motorola, are all good places to start. 

Funny. I was going to mention Apple. And I'll admit, I have a several generations old Iphone. And I love it. My favorite foot wear? Converse Chuck Taylors... old-school. But now made in China. But still cheap, stylish, comfortable, and made of canvas so they don't make my feet stink like the plastic crap out there (those are made in China too). And TVs? Forget about it. I love my VISIO 50'.

It's weird, isn't it? And complex. But do you think maybe, just maybe, the issue is that perhaps the government isn's so much the problem as it is the corporations selling us all out?

And, Jmel, I think I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Sincerely,

Jwad

Do they "sell us out"?  Or, is it Capitalism?  As angry as I get, am I simply jealous that I don`t have "Bill Gates money"?  I`d be lying if I said I didn`t want to be rich and never worry about money.

I`m not big on the income equality thing.  I think a doctor with a specialty that saves lives is worth millions.  I don`t think a small town cop should make $215k.  But, I don`t deny him the opportunity. 

I would like government to build roads, keep us safe (military), and get out of the way.  Maybe Libertarian is right for me.

Sections
Shortcuts