You know you're in trouble when your best defense it that you're not Dick Cheney

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

You know you're in trouble when your best defense it that you're not Dick Cheney

Oh the irony............

President Obama: I'm no Dick Cheney on drones

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/obama-im-no-cheney-on-drones-88853.html#ixzz2NW4bjeD3

By JOSH GERSTEIN and MANU RAJU | 3/14/13 4:37 AM EDT

President Barack Obama’s defense to Democratic senators complaining about how little his administration has told Congress about the legal justifications for his drone policy: Dick Cheney was worse.

That’s part of what two senators in the room recounted of Obama’s response when, near the outset of his closed-door session with Senate Democratic conference on Tuesday, Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) confronted the president over the administration’s refusal for two years to show Congressional intelligence committees Justice Department Office of Legal Counsel memos justifying the use of lethal force against American terror

Obama recently allowed members of those panels to see the memos, but only after senators in both parties threatened to hold up the confirmation of John Brennan as Central Intelligence Agency director. Brennan was confirmed last week, but lawmakers not on one of the intelligence panels are still being denied access to the memos and several are steamed over being frozen out

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: You know you're in trouble when your best defense it that you're not Dick Cheney

Left or right, this should bother people.  the government has ceased to represent the will of the people, as evidenced by this administration, and, I might add, the Bush administration as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: You know you're in trouble when your best defense it that you're not Dick Cheney

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

Oh the irony............

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/obama-im-no-cheney-on-drones-88853.html#ixzz2NW4bjeD3

President Barack Obama’s defense to Democratic senators complaining about how little his administration has told Congress about the legal justifications for his drone policy: Dick Cheney was worse.

That’s part of what two senators in the room recounted of Obama’s response when, near the outset of his closed-door session with Senate Democratic conference on Tuesday, Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) confronted the president over the administration’s refusal for two years to show Congressional intelligence committees Justice Department Office of Legal Counsel memos justifying the use of lethal force against American terror

Obama recently allowed members of those panels to see the memos, but only after senators in both parties threatened to hold up the confirmation of John Brennan as Central Intelligence Agency director. Brennan was confirmed last week, but lawmakers not on one of the intelligence panels are still being denied access to the memos and several are steamed over being frozen out

Why didn't you paste the whole article ? I guess people's veiw points change when the buck stops with them  ...... btw don't you think that some people need to be terminated with extreme prejudice without putting more people at risk than you have to .. you know ... the greatest good for the greatest number .

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Oh the irony............

Why didn't you paste the whole article ? I guess people's veiw points change when the buck stops with them  ...... btw don't you think that some people need to be terminated with extreme prejudice without putting more people at risk than you have to .. you know ... the greatest good for the greatest number .

I always post the link to read more when I post a story.  

This is a bipartisan issue; or it least it should be unless you are just a blind partisan.  Sure we put less of our  people are risk on the ground when we use a hellfire missle from a drone.  But we also place a low value of life on the "innocent" colateral damage that is used as an anti-american terrorist recruiting tool.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

This is a bipartisan issue; or it least it should be unless you are just a blind partisan.  Sure we put less of our  people are risk on the ground when we use a hellfire missle from a drone.  But we also place a low value of life on the "innocent" colateral damage that is used as an anti-american terrorist recruiting tool.

The choice to incinerate rather than incarcerate, while politically expedient, fails to address the human intellegence issue. We now have a much poorer understanding of the capabilities and intentions of our enemy than we did four years ago.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Oh the irony............

Please .....  MassModerateJoe you might think you are slick but I have never seen you make any comment that wasn't a partisan attack .... btw don't include me in your comment about but "we"also place a low value of the life on the "innocent". I'm not part of your we .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

He's not Michael Jordan either but he doesn't seem compelled to point that out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Oh the irony............

Please .....  MassModerateJoe you might think you are slick but I have never seen you make any comment that wasn't a partisan attack .... btw don't include me in your comment about but "we"also place a low value of the life on the "innocent". I'm not part of your we .

Sis,

Your words ". btw don't you think that some people need to be terminated with extreme prejudice without putting more people at risk than you have to ."

To which I responded to.  Yes, I'm right of center on most issues, but still clearly in the centrist third.  I do call out the president frequently for a numnber of issues from lack of leadership to his hypocracy and the bye that he gets form his blindly obedient supporters.

I also call out the stronger right leaning members of the Politics BDC group.  I've strongly pushed for a more moderate view on a number of issues and blamed many of the hard right and Tea Party views for the GOP loss in November.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

@massmoderate I would like to apologize for being rude to you earlier ..... maybe if the drone program wasn't being run by the CIA and instead it was run by the DOD then that article from Politico wouldn't have been written in the first place .

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Obama's comment is referring to transparency - Cheney's refusal to answer Congressional subpoenas, hiding out in undisclosed locations, claiming immunity to all accountability because he was part of both the Executive & Legislative branches of government.  Like No Mo O says - the good old days.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Obama's comment is referring to transparency - Cheney's refusal to answer Congressional subpoenas, hiding out in undisclosed locations, claiming immunity to all accountability because he was part of both the Executive & Legislative branches of government.  Like No Mo O says - the good old days.

The good old days when Bush was President, when liberals smeared and attacked Bush and Cheney daily, wanting them to be put on trial for war crimes; libs didnt have to worry about  being called racists, or not being bipartisan, or, gulp,  wanting the President to fail.

"hiding out in undisclosed locations"

Yes, on 9/11 when the US was under attack, Vice President Cheney was brought to an undisclosed location...turns out it was the Greenbriar Resort in West Virginia, an underground bunker built during the Cold War. You attack him politically for this?

"claming immunity for all accountability"

What the hell are you referring to?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

@massmoderate I would like to apologize for being rude to you earlier ..... maybe if the drone program wasn't being run by the CIA and instead it was run by the DOD then that article from Politico wouldn't have been written in the first place .

I think its run by both; which also increases the secrecy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Point being that - after Dick Cheney - the bar for general prickitude was set rather high.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

The good old days when Bush was President, when liberals smeared and attacked Bush and Cheney daily, wanting them to be put on trial for war crimes; libs didnt have to worry about  being called racists, or not being bipartisan, or, gulp,  wanting the President to fail.

Yes, on 9/11 when the US was under attack, Vice President Cheney was brought to an undisclosed location...turns out it was the Greenbriar Resort in West Virginia, an underground bunker built during the Cold War. You attack him politically for this?

On the same day that the CIA announced it will soon release hundreds of pages of once-classified documents that detail some of the agency's most closely guarded — and controversial — secrets of old, it was revealed that Vice President Dick Cheney has been resisting even his own Executive Branch's efforts to find out what kind of secret material his office has been stashing away over the last four years.

Cheney's office, according to a story first reported by the Chicago Tribune, has resisted attempts by a tiny federal agency to compile information — in accordance with an executive order signed by George Bush himself — on the classified documents being held by the Vice President's operation. Cheney's office argued that the Vice President's office, because it has both executive and legislative branch duties, is exempt from the order.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1636435,00.html#ixzz2NYkmNbAr

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

A drone is a type of air strike.  It's not a war crime.  Torture is a war crime.  Do you honestly not understand the distinction?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Oh the irony............

Good point, Sis!

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

A drone is a type of air strike.  It's not a war crime.  Torture is a war crime.  Do you honestly not understand the distinction?

Yes an uncontrolled one, the deaths of Pakistanis approaching 400 by some UN counts isn't an individual accident it's tied to multiple episodes and that just creates the distrust of the US.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/15/world/asia/u-n-drone-objections/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

(CNN) -- Farmers are on their way to tend their crops when a missile slams into their midst, thrusting shrapnel in all directions.

A CIA drone, flying so high that the farmers can't see it, has killed most of them. None of them were militants.

Such attacks by U.S. drones are common, the United Nations' special rapporteur on counterterrorism and human rights said Friday in a statement on strikes in Pakistan's tribal region of North Waziristan.

The rapporteur, Ben Emmerson, told CNN the actions are of dubious international legality, despite the United States' assertions.

"I'm not aware of any state in the world that currently shares the United States' expansive legal perspective that it is engaged in a global war -- that is to say a non-international armed conflict with al Qaeda and any group associated with al Qaeda, wherever they are to be found, that would therefore lawfully entitle the United States to take action involving targeted killing wherever an individual is found," Emmerson said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

The choice to incinerate rather than incarcerate, while politically expedient, fails to address the human intellegence issue. We now have a much poorer understanding of the capabilities and intentions of our enemy than we did four years ago.

I'm betting that Osama Bin Laden and his son disagree with your assessment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Complaints by the righties about the drone program seem disingenuous. but then again, most complaints by the righties about Obama seem disingenuous.

they all agree with the Bush Doctrine about preemptive strikes against terrorists, except when Obama does it.

it doesn't bother me one bit that drones can be used to take out terrorists overseas, citizen or not.  As far as I'm concerned, a "citizen" working overseas with known terrorist organizations has renounced their citizenship.

what does bother me is when they mess up and take out a wedding party.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Oh the irony............

The idea that terrorists are created from some sort of perceived repression is the biggest lie being fed to Americans by the media right now.  If you can answer a few questions you will find where terrorists come from.  If American or European repression is the cause of terrorism than

Why is Thailand subject to so many terrorist attacks?  When they have almost most no global impact

Why is Indonesia subject to so many attacks?  When they have almost no global iimpact

Why are schools that teach girls being blown up In Afghanistan?

If fundamentalism is not mainstream that why is every country in the Middle East under Sharia law executing homosexuals, adulterers, and apostates?  

Can a belief be extremist if its mainstream?

Did we create more Nazis by fighting Nazis?  I believe some things are worth fighting for.  Human rights is one.  And whether a plane is manned or unmanned makes no difference to me, nor does the president authorizing it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Yes an uncontrolled one, the deaths of Pakistanis approaching 400 by some UN counts isn't an individual accident it's tied to multiple episodes and that just creates the distrust of the US.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/15/world/asia/u-n-drone-objections/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

(CNN) -- Farmers are on their way to tend their crops when a missile slams into their midst, thrusting shrapnel in all directions.

A CIA drone, flying so high that the farmers can't see it, has killed most of them. None of them were militants.

Such attacks by U.S. drones are common, the United Nations' special rapporteur on counterterrorism and human rights said Friday in a statement on strikes in Pakistan's tribal region of North Waziristan.

The rapporteur, Ben Emmerson, told CNN the actions are of dubious international legality, despite the United States' assertions.

"I'm not aware of any state in the world that currently shares the United States' expansive legal perspective that it is engaged in a global war -- that is to say a non-international armed conflict with al Qaeda and any group associated with al Qaeda, wherever they are to be found, that would therefore lawfully entitle the United States to take action involving targeted killing wherever an individual is found," Emmerson said.

I think it's legitimate to question whether we can be at war with a terrorist group, rather than a country, and my personal opinion is no - that's not the defiinition of a war.  But Congress has disagreed and authorized force against all terrorist threats, and as wars go, the drone strikes limit civilian casualties and infrastructure damage more than any other options we've used in the past.  Keep in mind - the purpose of these strikes is the same as that of the Afghan war.  400 dead Pakistanis is horrible, but it's 1% of the total war-related civilian casualties.  

Questioning the nature of the war is fair.  Pointing out the damage to the US brand is fair.  Calling a drone strike a war crime is assinine, but brilliant next to drawing a parallel between actually torturing prisoners of war, and a hypothetical question about US citizens on US soil.