"You think I'm a rat?"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

"You think I'm a rat?"

Anyone remember this line? It's from a great movie in which an FBI agent infiltrates the mob. Somehow...of all the mafia movies that I love..this is the line that comes to mind today.

Why, you ask?? Well..in case you don't know...today is the day the Whitey Bulger trial gets underway. The defense and prosecutors will begin the processing of selecting a panel of 18 jurors from a pool of 675...so expect this process to take a while.

So..as the wheels of justice begin to turn in this matter I thought it would be interesting to start a thread where we can comment on and share predictions about the trial.

Last night on Twitter I was involved in a little chat about being on the jury. So..I'll start with this question. Would you want to be on the jury?

I don't follow too many trials closely ( after the OJ drama I am somewhat jaded)...but I hope to follow this one as much as possible.

Whitey Bulger has vowed to take the stand. The defense doesn't want this to happen..but anyone want to bet that the prosecutor ( and the FBI) doesn't want this to happen either? No doubt Whitey is an evil man...but I think he's keeping a lot of secrets..and I am betting if he gets on that stand..he is going to sing like a canary.

I think Whitey could reveal the name of more than one rat.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re:

I'm not all that interested in the Bulger trial.  I feel like its just a formality and then he'll be tossed into a jail cell somewhere.

I think the Zimmerman trial in Florida will be a spectacle that will grab more headlines than Bulger.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Re:

I would not want to be on the jury. First of all, it will take forever. Secondly it would be slightly intiimidating. 

Is this trial for one of the murders or are they doing all in one trial? For the sake of the jury I hope it is just one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Re:

He's still alive?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re:

When is the Billy Bulger trial commencing?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Re:

I would like to be a juror but Im sure I'd be passed over. After reading Black Mass and Brutal, I would be considered bias.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re:

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

I grew up hearing all these stories. Read most of the books. Movies that were loosely based on his life, I've seen. Watched many of the documentaries, and Most Wanted segments on Cops and AMW. I think I too would be dropped from jury duty on this one.

Like we both agreed on, last night on Twitter.....I'd rather be the court reporter, stenographer or stick figure artist. At least pay me for being there. I'd hate to lose three months of pay. Although, come to think of it.....if I was the foreperson....there'd probably be a way to monetize that. Hmmmmm. No matter, I'd be excused anyhow.

I've never even received a jury summons in my life..so it would be my dumb luck to get picked for a 3 month ..high profile trial.

For what it's worth..I think the trial is a formality. Bulger is going away...justice will be served even if he never spends another day in jail. I am sure that he is just as happy to be locked up. I doubt he'd last a month if he were released. Like others have said..he's a rat. He's ratted out a lot of bad guys. I am just curious to see how many of the "good guys" he rats out in the course of his testimony. Otherwise..really...why does he want to testify?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re:

In response to jackbu's comment:

He does not even deserve this article.  He is a rat and he destroyed Southie.  When the Anguilo Family ran The North End, they let the Mom and Pop stores make a living.  Bulger destroyed Southie businesses and got young kids hooked on drugs.

His whole crew are rats and now prey on old women and steal their possesions.

You should check out Paddywhacked. It's a history of how the Irish Mob and the Italian Mob came to join forces. Doesn't paint a very good picture of Irish mobsters. At least the Italians had a code of honor. Seems like that was not present with the Irish gangsters.

I've no doubt the Whitey throwbacks are still wreaking havoc .

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re:

I would not believe everything you read.  The Irish Mob was feared my most and Whitey was a rogue criminal backed by corrupt FBI agents and family politicians.  I am sure you remember me posting about the North End Goodfellas and your new bff having her regular fit over my posts.  BTW, if you don't want me to block you again, then stop copying and pasting her junk. Not that I think my posts are life changing, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Good grief..you have got to be kidding. Block me or don't block me..I could really care less. I will reply to whom I choose to reply to..it's really that simple. No one is forcing you to read anyone's comments on this site. As far as bff..? That's too funny. Sorry to disappoint..but I only have one bff..and he isn't interested in posting on BDC...lol. As I stated on the other thread..I am not getting involved in this game. You should be careful in making people choose because chances are you're the one who will get left out in the cold.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re:

Msobs....thanks for your gesture..it is much appreciated. I appreciate that you have enough regard and respect for my wishes to make this effort. I know how much it took for you to make it. It definitely shows character.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re:

In response to miscricket's comment:

[QUOTE]

Msobs....thanks for your gesture..it is much appreciated. I appreciate that you have enough regard and respect for my wishes to make this effort. I know how much it took for you to make it. It definitely shows character.

I'm just trying to do the right thing. I've slung just as much garbage at him, and think it's time to let it go. I have faith he'll do the right thing.

(How about that Bruins game???? I'm exhausted!!)

[/QUOTE]

I know...the way I look at it is this..the ball's in his court. He can either pick it up and try something new...or he can just keep on with the same old tired lines etc. His life..his choice..and not my problem... I still have a little faith that he will let it go and just move on.

Oh..the Bruins..!!! I am glad to be having a night off..lol.  I am going to bed early tonight...how about Campbell?? No tougher sport out there right now than hockey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re:

I was reading some of the coverage of the trial today and  I guess it's a good thing I am not a defense attorney..lol.

I would have bet money that part of Bulger's defense would be to rat out as many FBI agents as he can...but he seems to be taking the opposite stance..insisting that he was not a rat..and was just bribing agents. Perhaps this is an acknowledgment that he's going to jail..and attempt to save his hide from a little retribution.

Perhaps the most ridiculous thing Bulger would have us believe ( according to his attorney's opening argument)..is that he would never have "hurt those women". After all.." what kind of guy do you think he is"..? So is this some kind of gangster code..kill people..but not women? I am not buying it...not for one millisecond.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re:

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

I would have bet money that part of Bulger's defense would be to rat out as many FBI agents as he can...but he seems to be taking the opposite stance..insisting that he was not a rat..and was just bribing agents. Perhaps this is an acknowledgment that he's going to jail..and attempt to save his hide from a little retribution.

As long as the pros. doesn't ask him to try on a glove...  

Too funny...now that brings back some rather unpleasant flashbacks! All the same..brilliant strategy by Cochran back then. "If the glove doesn't fit..you must acquit". How often do you think that phrase played itself in the minds of jurors? I think they probably could have ended the trial right then and there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

I'm just trying to do the right thing. I've slung just as much garbage at him, and think it's time to let it go. I have faith he'll do the right thing.

(How about that Bruins game???? I'm exhausted!!)

[/QUOTE]

MO,

May I be another female poster to endorse your sentiment regarding the above. Just found this thread and IMO you both have a good handle on dealing with that particular poster.

Also, how about last nght's Bruins game to take the lead!!! OTs have been exciting but it was nice to have a normal 2-0 straight out shutout.

On topic, I have been called for jury duty more than once, So has my husband. Even the short ones are no picnic. My husband's 1st was a date rape criminal case.  As much as I had shared with him on this topic and related ones, he was sick to his stomach as the evidence was presented. The deliberations were no picnic either. 

As for me, each time I was more than willing to serve. However, there are reasons the attorneys generally prefer not to have attorneys on the jury. 

Reuben, WDYWN and any other lawyer might say do not assume anything about the final verdict here. As for his age, My last aunt lived to be 100. Plus the jury may see an elderly frail short man. Bulger is 83. His lead lawyer, who is listed as one of the best lawyers in the country and we the taxpayers are paying for is absolutely no slouch. 

Martorano, face to face with Bulger in the courtroom as a prosecution witness, is a convicted murderer, living in Milford, MA since 2007. Herald Headline was: HIT MAN OF THE HOUR.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

I would not believe everything you read.  The Irish Mob was feared my most and Whitey was a rogue criminal backed by corrupt FBI agents and family politicians.  I am sure you remember me posting about the North End Goodfellas and your new bff having her regular fit over my posts.  BTW, if you don't want me to block you again, then stop copying and pasting her junk. Not that I think my posts are life changing, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Good grief..you have got to be kidding. Block me or don't block me..I could really care less. I will reply to whom I choose to reply to..it's really that simple. No one is forcing you to read anyone's comments on this site. As far as bff..? That's too funny. Sorry to disappoint..but I only have one bff..and he isn't interested in posting on BDC...lol. As I stated on the other thread..I am not getting involved in this game. You should be careful in making people choose because chances are you're the one who will get left out in the cold.

[/QUOTE]

cricket,

You talk the talk and you walk the walk. Just found this thread and time to comment. Sorry for the delay.

MO supported you. Of course I do too. I also agree, no disrespect to MO, with your "bff" choice as it were. Maybe not all marriages are like that of course...they are not in fact...but my "bff" forever and beyond is the same as yours....and he no longer is interested in posting on BDC. 

The Bulger trial will be interesting to follow from afar. And like another poster stated, I too am interested in the Zimmerman trial finally beginning.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re:

In response to andiejen's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

cricket,

You talk the talk and you walk the walk. Just found this thread and time to comment. Sorry for the delay.

MO supported you. Of course I do too. I also agree, no disrespect to MO, with your "bff" choice as it were. Maybe not all marriages are like that of course...they are not in fact...but my "bff" forever and beyond is the same as yours....and he no longer is interested in posting on BDC. 

The Bulger trial will be interesting to follow from afar. And like another poster stated, I too am interested in the Zimmerman trial finally beginning.

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the Zimmerman trial is going to be televised. I hope not. I am not a fan of television cameras in the court room.

I just finished watching today's coverage of the Bulger trial. Pretty damaging testimony today.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Re:

In response to andiejen's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

cricket,

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the Zimmerman trial is going to be televised. I hope not. I am not a fan of television cameras in the court room.

I just finished watching today's coverage of the Bulger trial. Pretty damaging testimony today.

[/QUOTE]

cricket,

Of course most posters know cameras are not allowed in federal trials. So there was no question there would be no cameras allowed in the Bulger trial. Just the sketch artists.

Carney et. al, did their best to have many reporters barred from being in the courtroom. Two Globe reporters and the infamous Howie Carr of the Boston Herald for instance. They were put on the defense witness list. 

The motions were very creative but ultimately I believe justice was served. One by one they are now allowed in the courtroom and can thereby far better report on the trial.

I am impressed so far with the presiding judge. She is a graduate of Harvard Law...appointed to the federal bench by Obama in 2010. 

As for Zimmerman. Of course that is a state trial. So there is that possibility of cameras. I have mixed feelings about cameras. Of course many feel Judge Ito in the Simpson criminal trial allowed the celebrity aspect and the cameras influence his behavior....and not for the better.

On the other hand, many people have never ever seen our judicial system at work. Cameras are one way to allow that to happen. 

Some people even feel there should be cameras in the highest court in the country...the Supreme Court. I have watched...in person of course...arguments before SCOTUS. But, how many people have?

June is the big month for SCOTUS. That is when they wrap it up for the summer. Many many important decisions come out in June every Monday that were heard usually months earlier that will affect untold lives. I would have loved to have seen the oral arguments and the actual questioning of each side of the biggest cases coming down.

Anyway, Bulger and the Bruins continue. Betcha the Bruins wrap up before the Bulger case.

But...will the Bulger case wrap up before the Sox season ends is the real question? :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re:

Apparently Bulger took exception to Kevin Weeks calling him a rat on the stand yesterday. In yest another display of his lack of self control..Bulger got into a profanitly laced verbal altercation with Weeks after Weeks called Bulger a rat on the stand.

I am thinking that if Bulger has so much to say from the defendant's table..he should really get up and testify. Reports are that Bulger wants to testify...but I think his lawyer is going to do his best to talk him out of it.

It would be comical if there weren't dead victims and grieving family members.

On a somewhat related note..I heard a report over the weekend which stated that Bulger offered to plead guilty to many of the charges in order to get his girlfriend off the hook. Not sure how I feel about that. Should we be going through the expense of a trial if he offered a guilty plea?

Perhaps...after all..this is more about justice for the victims and their families..so they deserve this day in court..no matter what.

Sections
Shortcuts