Your thoughts on the US Senate race

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Your thoughts on the US Senate race

Massachusetts voters will elect a new senator on Jan. 19. Discuss the US Senate race here.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Re: Your thoughts on the US Senate race

After seeing Coakley's ads over the last week or two I am amazed that ANYONE can hold their head up and say "I am a Democrat and I will vote for Martha Coakley"! Or has shame been removed from our society!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I think voters are in large part swayed by force of personality and other superficial elements in addition to policy stances.  Unfortunately Coakley is severely limited in those areas.  I've watched her try to give relaxed interviews and she has trouble connecting on softball questions like "what is your favorite joke".  She comes off as rather stiff and unapproachable and her mannerisms like the way way she seems to speak with a clenched jaw is off putting.  Brown on the other hand has the look, is more nimble on his feet, and has run a more of Democratic campaign than the Democrat in these closing days of the special election.  Brown could very well win on these points alone. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Coakley seems out of touch and distant. She has some rather dubious things on her record as well (Fells Acre, Priest Scandal). She also seemed to have this sort of sense of entitlement after winning the primary. I think that rubbed some independants the wrong way.

But I think more then anything else, alot of Mass residents have grown tired of the same old liberal elite types running this state which Coakley seems to epitomize. I think the citizenry is moving a little closer to the center as well.

Coakley may still win, but it is no longer a given that having a D next to your name is enough.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

"Brown on the other hand has the look, is more nimble on his feet, and has run a more of Democratic campaign than the Democrat in these closing days of the special election."

Yes, if I were a republican instead of a lifelong independent, that's EXACTLY what I would look for in my next Senator.

Cardboard smile, generic-sounding, ethnic-neutral name, no real policy ideas and willing to subjugate any of his past votes/principles in the interests of donations from the Heritage Foundation and Club For Growth.

What is Mr. Brown's score on the bs tea party neo-con purity test...??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MethuenProgressive. Show MethuenProgressive's posts

Cosmo Brown posing as a war hero in combat BDUs, pretending he's an Iraq-Afghanistan veteran. is reason enough for all patriotic Americans to send him back to his estate in his gardener's pickup truck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

As someone who lives in Brown's district, I would NEVER vote for him.  He's embarrassed himself by letting his thin skin get the better of him, and when Coakley finally woke up and went after Brown, he sent his kids, ages 19 and 21, out to meet the press and defend him!!  What happens if he's in DC and has to explain something?  Does Ayla have to fly down?  The man has memory problems too--files an amendment, is chastised by his own party and doesn't remember the amendment a few years later?? RIGHT. 

Add to that he pretends to understand "working people"--he works 3 part time jobs, making nearly 200k a year at it, and as a state senator, he gets benefits too!  He talks about cutting wasteful spending, but continues to take per diem, totalling over $3500 last year alone.  That's getting paid to drive to your job, to your free Beacon Hill parking spot.  He claims to be anti-tax, but voted for Romney's fee increases/creations, as though my giving money to the state for a duplicate driver's license is all that different from giving money to the state for taxes.  

I don't care much for Martha Coakley, and don't think she's run a good campaign. But I would rather hold my nose and vote for her than vote for Scott Brown.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

Talk about a fr!ggin broken record. Sheesh!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

He claims to be anti-tax, but voted for Romney's fee increases/creations, as though my giving money to the state for a duplicate driver's license is all that different from giving money to the state for taxes.  

It is MUCH different. How many people get duplicate licenses? How many people pay taxes? There you have it.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Don't get me wrong Matty, my post is more a reflection on how a sure thing (Coakley's election to the Senate) has floundered and seems to be on its heels.  Special elections are tough to poll and results from even highly skilled polling groups can differ wildly from the final result.  Nate Silver, for instance, has called the race a toss up which is unsurprising given that there are several polls that place brown in the lead, and several which place Coakley in the lead. 

So I have been wondering, why is Coakley (seemingly) underperforming given that the demo of the State, its voting history, etc all are stacked in her favor?  I think a large part of it has to do with the perception of each candidate and how people may relate to them on a personal level.  People vote for the candidate they like, and if Coakley isn't stoking fires she may not lose votes to Brown but her core may not be motivated to get out and vote for her.   Republicans tend to do better with lower voter turn out, and it has been pointed out for a while now that Browns path to victory may be through an apathetic and unenergized Bay State Democratic electorate.

As for Browns credentials the Tea Party folks and nearly all of the GOP Johnny Come Latelys wouldn't spit on him if Health Care reform wasn't hanging in the balance.  He has committed to vote no if elected so, for now, he's okay in their book.  But to be sure these same folks would be calling him a RINO if there was a legit Conservative in the race.  He is the best they got, so they are backing him to the hilt. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

It is MUCH different. How many people get duplicate licenses? How many people pay taxes? There you have it

that is ONE example of a fee created or raised by Mitt Romney with Scott Brown's help. Fact is, we pay our taxes, why are we paying $5-$20 to park at a state beach?  Mitt's fees raised $240 million or more.  Let's throw in marriage licenses, gun licenses, fees for businesses to post signs etc.  That's a whole lot more people.  The point, since you don't get it, is that I pay my taxes. On top of that, Scott Brown helped add more fees, which if I need that service or license, whatever, I have to pay extra for that.  I have paid my taxes, why do I have to pay another fee?  Call it what you want, it's money from my pocket to the state and Scotty boy was all over it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

Fact is, we pay our taxes, why are we paying $5-$20 to park at a state beach? 

Was paying parking fees 25 years ago to park at state beaches. This is nothing new Got anything else?

Let's throw in marriage licenses, gun licenses, fees for businesses to post signs etc. 

Um...there have been fees for those things for quite some time now. Well before Romney/Brown. Where have you been?
    Seems you're the one who "doesn't get it".

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Damain,   I would say that first of all, there is no such thing as a "sure thing".  As you say special elections are indeed tough to poll.  Had Teddy lived to see the end of his term and retired, I have doubts whether either of these candidates would have made it through the primaries.  But that's pure speculation.

But I agree with your larger point about motivation.  An ideal candidate would motivate people effectively, have a clear message and something to offer in the way of public policy.  In this sense, neither one is ideal; however, I favor addition over subtraction.  I think Coakley would add to the debate in D.C., while Brown would stymie it.  I'm beyond the age when I believe anything a politician tells me; I very well might disagree with every vote she casts.  I'm voting based upon my own motivation and idea of governance.

I could vote against Brown based on GOP leader Rush Limbaugh's deplorable opposition to Americans donating money to the Haitian relief effort, but I won't.  Instead, I'll donate double to the effort and tell rush to go eff himself with a pin-studded voodoo doll. 

Then, I'll vote for Coakley based on her considerable record as DA/AG (particularly on women's issues), her representation of the western part of our state, her status as our possibly first female senator (women are sorely underrepresented in D.C., IMO), and the fact that I think she has twice the backbone, intellect and legal acumen that Mr. Brown does.  She's not perfect, but who on earth is...??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Matty,

Chances are Coakley will squeak out a win. But, this is still a loud alarm that even you must hear.

Most Americans do not want the current poliices with HC, the environment, education, foriegn policy, spending, govt takeover.

Any Republican winning is no big deal but, an unknown republican in the most liberal bastion in the land and the seat of the former "lion of the senate"?????

c'mon if they are have=ing this much trouble now and here think about the house races (every house member) in 2010!!!!!

And dems will almost surly lose the senate.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Coakley is a career hack, having never worked a single day in the private sector.  She looks at the US Senate as her entitled golden parachute retirement program so she can double dip the state and fed system. Coakley is a cold calculating opportunist who wronged the Amirault family in the Fels Acre Circus trial.  She ignored corruption around her Democrat political friends; Menino, Deleo and Dimasi.  She tried to sweep away a horrendous rape case of a connected Somerville cop who raped his 2 year old niece with a hot curling iron. Coakley is a self serving politically expedient AG who let the real guilty party; Powers Fasteners the glue manufacturer in the Big Dig Ceiling collapse walk away with a slap on the wrist while she extorted settlement money out of the deeper pocket participants (contractors and engineers), because it was politically expedient. Martha Coakley had a sense of entitlement to this seat; she started her campaign activities prior to Kennedy's death.  She thought she could coast in with the its time for a women vote, regardless of the qualifications of Mike Capuano.  Coakley and the national DNC are scared they have loaded the media with misleading attack ads.  The DNC handlers are shoving unfriendly reporters to the ground and Coakley just looks on. Do not vote for Martha Coakley as we and our grand children can not afford her and her policies to tax and spend us to death. Scott Brown is a practicing attorney and National Guard member for 30 years.  His growth in political office stated at the town Selectmen level, to state Rep, to state Senator. He serves the peoples interest and votes with a moderate centrist position.  He voted to support Romney vetoes and voted to over ride Romney vetoes. He supports Roe v Wade, but he has a conscience so he wants limits on late term, "partial birth" abortions, as anyone with a shred of morality would.  He respects the views of others which is why he sponsored a bill which would have allowed health professional to say no a choice of religious belief to no take part in emergency contraception through a D&C procedure or the morning after pill.  All this means is that another Doctor is called in to handle the case.  The practitioner is protected as well as the victim.  In this case his amendment failed the Democratic Senate vote, but he voted for the bill anyway even though he didn't get what he wanted in it. Finally Scott Brown will protect us from terrorists; he'll back the position of terrorist being held as enemy combatants, and go for immediate prosecution, much like FDR's administration during WWII.  Coakley wants to ensure we provide Miranda rights and legal defense under our US Constitution, which is wrong and won’t keep us safe. Vote for Scott Brown, centrist, social moderate, small government fiscal conservative, who will keep us safe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CriminalCoakley. Show CriminalCoakley's posts

Obama is more concerned about his CRAP healthcare bill die'ing, so he is flying here (Massachusetts) to hold Coakley's hand, on Sunday, instead of focusing on bigger issues as an actual President should do !
    (ie... Haiti Earthquake  50,000+ dead ) 

I crack up at the hypocracy.  Bush catches 3 months of hell for flying over Katrina in a helicopter...and Barry 'O' gets the liberal pass. 

The vote is near !  Wink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mistyharbor. Show mistyharbor's posts

Just saw the ad with Vicki Kennedy taking liberty with Scott Brown's excellent retort as to whose senate seat it really is.  Like a true Kennedy, she looked straight into the camera mouthing words belonging to someone else, fully knowing it and hoping we wouldn't notice.  Well, Miss Vicki, we have noticed.  And by the way, Miss Martha, we've noticed your deceptions too, not limited to the ugly negative campaign you have the unmitigated gall to call truthful. I sincerely hope the voters of this state wake up and let the "dem o crats" (say it with disgust the way Miss Martha says republican) know we've had ENOUGH!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManWithNoName. Show ManWithNoName's posts

Obama is now coming to Massachusetts to salvage what's left of Martha Coakley's sinking political career (and more important to him, the 60th seat in the Senate) 

It's official. This race has nothing to do with Coakley now. It's between Obama  and Scott Brown. Martha is just an afterthought in this campaign as she can't possibly beat Scott Brown on her own now......If she does go on to win on Tuesday, it will have little to do with her sorry self and more to do with the all star Dems that came in to save the seat.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rotbart. Show Rotbart's posts

Coakley's statement that Catholics should not work in hospital emergency rooms because, as a matter of religious belief protected by the First Amendment free exercise clause, they do  not want to particpate in administering an abortion pill is shocking. She sounds like a 19th Century Know Nothing anti-Catholic bigot.  The historical phrase "No Irish need apply" has expanded to "No Catholics need apply." In her disturbed mind "choice" does not apply to practicing Catholics only to pro-abortion liberals. This women is unfit for public office.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prooney24. Show prooney24's posts

The real race: Martha Coakley vs. Health Insurance/Pharma Cartel

Why would anyone in their right mind vote for Scott Brown? His grand campaign is being funded by the Cigna/Aetna/health insurance-pharmaceutical cartel. You know, the cartel that owns the GOP and is trying desperately to kill health reform. 

For those who haven't figured this out: one of the core aims of health reform is to apply some measure of regulation on the health insurance/pharmaceutical companies. We saw what happened when Bush gave free reign to Wall Street -- it destroyed our economy.  Do we really want to continue allowing for-profit private corporations to have total control over medical decisions and the power to raise (and fix) prices at will?

The Republican Party has somehow managed to convince many people that Obama's health reform is socialized medicine when all it does, really, is chip away at the insurance industry's total control over our health. There isn't even a public option in the bill, for god's sake.

Wake up people. Brown is a paid-for stooge whose vote is being tapped to preserve and protect the interests of the health insurance cartel. He was hand-picked for the job.

His campaign alleges that Coakley is owned by lobbyists when it is he who is bought and paid for. He alleges that Coakley started the attack ads when it was his campaign -- funded by the cartel and its paid-for-Republican contigency -- that started the mudslinging.

Coakley will represent the people of Massachusetts. Scott Brown willl represent the interests of corporations.

I'm confident that the people of Massachusetts will elect Martha Coakley -- by a wide margin. 

And I am also confident that health care reform will pass. The money being funneled to Brown's campaign demonstrates that the insurance industry is very panicked -- and should be.  The profit party is coming to an end.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantbreath. Show cantbreath's posts

I have read that this vote is about health care, that the democratic party is angry at Martha. The democratic party is responsible for this mess. Even the progressive democrats I know are angry about the machinations over appointed/specially elected senator based upon who is in the Governors seat. Not all of Obama's votes were about Hope and Change. Some of his votes were from Republicans who felt that the republican party deserved to be punished for the prior eight years. Same thing re the democratic party in this state now. They are just awful.

Every single thing that Coakley has done or not done has first been weighed by whether it advances or possibly hurts her political ambitions. Weak. Imagine if she could say that she tried to rectify the terrible harm done to the Amirault family by the state. (Does anyone remember that they dug up that lot looking for the bones of buried animals and never found a chicken bone).

She has terrible advisors. Even the ads where she is just making the case for herself we are looking at someone with a tight jaw, speaking with lips pressed against her teeth and then she does the 'sparkly eyes' thing. Your gut tells you it is fake. 

The democratic party in this state does not listen to its own electorate. Funny, if Martha could say that she would not vote for amnesty, she would probably get the votes she needs. Too late for that now. The democratic party needs to get illegals the right to vote.

Brown is no moderate or independent thinker. He will vote however the republican party tells him to vote. He will be an obstructionist and then in two years time he will say vote for me because the democratic party cannot get anything done.

The people I know will either hold their noses and vote for Coakley or not vote at all because they cannot vote for Brown and won't vote for Coakley.

It will be close I think.