Your thoughts on the US Senate race

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Re: Your thoughts on the US Senate race

My feeling is that if Brown wins by less than 10% the Democrats are going to use every means to delay him taking the seat in DC. They will demand re-count after re-count and try to push this out to March. If the vote is taken before Brown is seated and after the election, the people of Massachusetts should sue to stop it. Probably wouldn't win but it would force the D's to come down on the side of chosen representation rather than elected representation.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

...of course, you mean beyond the 15 days they have by law to seat him, if he should win...??

And on what grounds would the state, which already has universal healthcare of its own, sue Congress to prevent passage of the bill? 

Good luck getting our AG on board with that....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

Why do all you Brown supporters want to vote for a man who, when confronted with an attack ad denied remembering filing an amendment, sent his daughters to a press conference to defend him?  His daughters are bright, talented young women with bright futures, but a)of course they'll defend dad, 99% of kids would defend a parent, and b) they aren't the ones running for US Senate!  

Hmmm can you say pot calling kettle black? Or is hypocrite more appropriate? We can get back to that later.

Let's break this down shall we? Ok.....

"Why do all you Brown supporters want to vote for a man who, when confronted with an attack ad denied remembering filing an amendment"

Um....didn't Coakley deny knowing anything about the reporter being pushed to the ground? Suks that there was a picture showing her watching the whole thing. Oops!

"sent his daughters to a press conference to defend him?  His daughters are bright, talented young women with bright futures, but a)of course they'll defend dad, 99% of kids would defend a parent, and b) they aren't the ones running for US Senate! "

The groups putting out ads for Coakley aren't running for US Senate either but it's ok for them right??? 

Can you say hypocrite? Can ya?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

...of course, you mean beyond the 15 days they have by law to seat him, if he should win...??

And on what grounds would the state, which already has universal healthcare of its own, sue Congress to prevent passage of the bill? 

Good luck getting our AG on board with that....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Matty, they don't have to wait a day to ratify the election and send him to DC. If he wins by a margin larger than the total of absentee and military ballots they can ratify it the next day when the towns ratify their totals of actual votes. Tsongas won a special election on October 16th, 2007 an cast her first vote in DC on the 18th. Galvin is playing games and you know it but you don't have the integrity to call him on it because he is a D. He is shooting for Feb 20th if Brown wins and January 20th if Coakley wins...

Election fraud and inhibiting elected officials from taking their rightful seat to start... I said a long shot but it would be enough to get even fair minded D's to throw their hands up in disgust.

THAT is why I said the PEOPLE of the state NOT the do nothing AG!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsobrien. Show jsobrien's posts

Femfelis
    I'll say a prayer for your situation, but you should also learn the parabel of the ants and the grashopper. We "ants" of MA have had to endure the high taxes of "Taxachusetts" and highest health care premiums in the USA to provide things like portability (by law), coverage for pre=existing conditions with out penalty (by law), and many other clauses the USA is just starting to address. Meanwhile you "grashoppers" have been using your funds to party it up (or whatever) so don't try to  lay a guilt trip on us for the way you elected to live. We all make our choices and live (or not) with the ocnseuences. Maybe your time would be better served getting your own State's house in order!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Ratifying the election is one thing, but the senate leadership has 15 days by law to seat the electoral winner.

Should both happen as expediently as possible, regardless of who wins?  Of course.

And you have a lot of nerve questioning my integrity...see what getting emotional does to a debate??  sincerely, joe wilson.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marlupath. Show marlupath's posts

Generation Y or 18-35 year olds;
    Please see the following, make up yer own mind,
    and then vote with the swords of destiny.
    You are the future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4HZEYYZ04
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-WEG3lFiQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D9XZaCL4i0

Its MW3 dudes, and this is your CTD.
    Peace
    Marlu

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Ratifying the election is one thing, but the senate leadership has 15 days by law to seat the electoral winner.

Should both happen as expediently as possible, regardless of who wins?  Of course.

And you have a lot of nerve questioning my integrity...see what getting emotional does to a debate??  sincerely, joe wilson.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matty, there is no such requirement in the US Senate. Their ONLY requirement is a certification by the state as to the election results. Al Franken was seated 2 days after the race was certified. 

I question your integrity because you are saying you are OK with 2 sets of rules in Massachusetts. It is NOT emotional just honest and forthright. Maybe you think it is emotional because you are the one on the wrong side of the debate!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

DING DING!
    We have a winner folks.

Matty, there is no such requirement in the US Senate. Their ONLY requirement is a certification by the state as to the election results. Al Franken was seated 2 days after the race was certified. 

I question your integrity because you are saying you are OK with 2 sets of rules in Massachusetts. It is NOT emotional just honest and forthright. Maybe you think it is emotional because you are the one on the wrong side of the debate!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

It's not a requirement...didn't say it was or that I agreed with it.  By law, the senate leadership can delay seating a senator-elect by 15 days.  Look it up.  The facts are on "my side" of this debate.

And I also said clearly - since you missed it - they should seat whoever wins as expediently as possible.  I don't know what you're driving at with Galvin and the ratification of the election results - what's your source? 

I continue to debate you in good faith.  I don't know why you seem determined to undermine that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Matty, sorry but you are wrong. Post a link to where the US Senate can by-law delay seating a certified elected Senator. I already did look it up. The law says they will seat a candidate as soon as the election is certified by the representing state which could take as long as 15 days.

Raising the stakes for Democrats, Brown has vowed to vote against the health care bill should he pull off an upset win.

To forestall that possibility, Secretary of State William Galvin, Massachusetts' top election official, said on Wednesday certifying the election results could take weeks.

Until the winner is certified and seated, interim Sen. Paul Kirk, a Democrat, would remain in the Senate and has said he would vote for the health care bill.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60E27U20100115?type=politicsNews

The U.S. Senate ultimately will schedule the swearing-in of Kirk’s successor, but not until the state certifies the election.

Friday, a spokesman for Secretary of the Commonwealth William Galvin, who is overseeing the election but did not respond to a call seeking comment, said certification of the Jan. 19 election by the Governor’s Council would take a while.

“Because it’s a federal election,” spokesman Brian McNiff said. “We’d have to wait 10 days for absentee and military ballots to come in.”

Another source told the Herald that Galvin’s office has said the election won’t be certified until Feb. 20 - well after the president’s address.

Since the U.S. Senate doesn’t meet again in formal session until Jan. 20, Bay State voters will have made their decision before a vote on health-care reform could be held. But Kirk and Galvin’s office said Friday a victorious Brown would be left in limbo.

In contrast, Rep. Niki Tsongas (D-Lowell) was sworn in at the U.S. House of Representatives on Oct. 18, 2007, just two days after winning a special election to replace Martin Meehan. In that case, Tsongas made it to Capitol Hill in time to override a presidential veto of the expansion of the State Children’s Health Insurance Program.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/healthcare/view.bg?articleid=1224249

BTW Matty - It is NOT a federal election. There is only one Federal election and that is for POTUS. This is a state election. They can't even get their story straight!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Marsha is in BIG TROUBLE!!!!!

A poll conducted by the Merriman River Group (MRG) and InsideMedford.com indicates that Scott Brown leads Martha Coakley 50.8% – 41.2% in the contest to fill the seat of the late Senator Ted Kennedy. Liberty Party candidate Joe Kennedy pulls in just 1.8% support, while 6.2% of voters are still not sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Sorry, my mistake.  The source I had was in reference to the Burris fiasco in IL - since corrected.  You're indeed right, and I'm wrong.  Mea culpa.

And I agree that there should be only one set of rules re: ratification.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wraughn. Show wraughn's posts

Maybe it's the anonymity of the internet, but people really heave a lot of personal insults at each other here.  I wonder if those people are as insulting when they discuss politics at work.  My point is that when a poster writes personal insults, all they are doing is driving their opponent farther into being the opposition.  If I feel personally slammed, it just makes me more adamant about my original position.  So the mud-slingers are actually strengthening their own opposition.  That's nonsense.  Maybe it's the anonymity of the internet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dressmaker. Show dressmaker's posts

Hey, Massachusetts, I'm an Independent voter from OR, wondering what you are thinking of doing out there??  Are you all under informed people w/ tea bags stapled to your hats??  (hats that were probably purchased @ Walmart and made in China)  You seem to have 2 fairly unappealing candidates to vote for.  Please, regardles of Coakley's lackluster persona, think of the long term consequences of voting for Brown.  The past decade has been a timed demolition of America, we get a new guy, he's expected to fix everything that took 10+ yrs. in 1 yr.??  Come on, do you really want to have anyone who is even associated w/ the Republican party representing your state @ a time like this?  The Dems are colossal bunglers, but at least give them a little more time, get out there and push them!  Sorry about your choice of candidates, but don't shoot yoursleves in the foot!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

posted at 1/18/2010 4:03 PM EST
    First: 1/18/2010
    Last: 1/18/2010
    Hey, Massachusetts, I'm an Independent voter from OR, wondering what you are thinking of doing out there??  Are you all under informed people w/ tea bags stapled to your hats??  (hats that were probably purchased @ Walmart and made in China)  You seem to have 2 fairly unappealing candidates to vote for.  Please, regardles of Coakley's lackluster persona, think of the long term consequences of voting for Brown.  The past decade has been a timed demolition of America, we get a new guy, he's expected to fix everything that took 10+ yrs. in 1 yr.??  Come on, do you really want to have anyone who is even associated w/ the Republican party representing your state @ a time like this?  The Dems are colossal bunglers, but at least give them a little more time, get out there and push them!  Sorry about your choice of candidates, but don't shoot yoursleves in the foot!
    Why do they need 60 votes to accomnplish anything?

The other party never did have 60 and dems were in control of the house the last 2 years of the former administration.

It's not about dems per se. It's about leaders of the house and senate pushing through a bill that a majority of their constituents do not want.

That's the problem!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsobrien. Show jsobrien's posts

Nor 31
    With Martha, there won't be a "middle class", she is from TAXachusetts, and is proud of it.

You think it will be better with a health policy based upon sweetheart deals, like taxing the plans EXCEPT if the Unions members benefit? More costs for the rest of us. Special deals for VT, Nebraska, etc. Blatant pay offs instead of bipartisan agreement on something good for all Americans.  At least with Scott, we get to keep some of what we work the two jobs for!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RBarbieri. Show RBarbieri's posts

Ms. Coakley is the rubber stamp Pres. Obama is looking for.  I see a cartoon of POTUS holding a stamp with caricature of Ms. Caokley as he is about stamp the Health "Reform" Bill.  The people of Mass. and the U.S. deserve better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wraughn. Show wraughn's posts

Nor31, Another poster mentioned that photo, too.  The question was:  If a female politician had that photo in her past, would she be considered for major public office?  Probably not.  Not to judge pin-ups, but it is a double standard.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from db528. Show db528's posts

If Brown wins, it's doubtful that we will get any health care reform at all. Go Martha!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from db528. Show db528's posts

Brown is anti-choice. Brown is against cracking down on excessive Wall Street bonuses. If Brown is elected, insurance companies win, but the people lose.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from db528. Show db528's posts

Brown sponsored an amendment that would have allowed emergency medical personnel to DENY emergency contraception to rape victims. Vote for Coakley!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankeefanjl. Show yankeefanjl's posts

I love when all Dems,Libs, progressives(and those further to the left that will only own up to one of those tags !) etc. wax poetic about how "right wing extremists" are getting in the way of healthcare ! This is the same group so adamant about "Bush's lies" and the left"s eternal nobility (may we start with moveon.org stuffing the ballot box for Al Franken ? More right wing propaganda...i know !...UGH !) ! The country already sees "The Bama" as, dare I say, less than forthright. The dynamic duo of Pelosi and Reid have the masses so outraged that President (ouch !) Obama's agenda (or should I say Rham, Dave and Valeries ?) is now to keep their rats aboard his sinking ship ! To those of you who view the current administration (as well as the Senate and House !)unfavorably right now doing nothing appears to be working very well ! Less than one year after receiving the Dem dream of TOTAL CONTROL each branch is in chaos ! If Coakley wins I guess it's possible for her to secure some huge payoff (aka  BRIBE !) for MA thrown in (a la Ben Nelson !) but I think it's a chance we'll have to take ! Hopefully NOT electing Coakley will be the "shot across the bow" that the DNC needs ! Ms. Coakley is THE 60th RUBBER STAMP ! I'm also glad it's happening in a state that's full of moderate Dems. Has anyone in the Coakley camp (or the White House ! ) bothered to notice that Ms. Coakley has handed this seat to Scott Brown ? Whenever she gets a chance to stop the bleeding she quickly opens another vein. THE LAWYERS OWN THIS CURRENT ADMINISTRATION and you can't even begin to repair the health care industry without tort reform (along with a host of "right wing extremist ideas !) This Senate race is a national race now and for those of you on the left with buyers remorse this is your chance to move back towards center ! Hopefully Obama coming to town will have the same effect that he had in NJ and VA ! Color me optomistic !

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Femfelis. Show Femfelis's posts

Hey there, jsobrien--

I appreciate the prayer, but I'm not really the point.  I only represent the many others in our nation who lack healthcare coverage--and who will lack any hope of same, should you elect Brown.

It's funny you should assume I've been a "grasshopper".  I worked well over 40 hours every week at my job, helping senior citizens, while only getting paid for 30 hours.  But I loved the work, loved my clients, and enjoyed helping them, making sure they were all right each day.

Then I caught "walking pneumonia".  I tried to work with it, but grew sick enough to need hospitalization.  A week and three days after I got back to work, I was fired.  And let me stress, this wasn't something I chose.  I wasn't exactly "partying", either.

You may want to deflect blame onto those who have similar stories.  But that doesn't do justice to our situations.  Blaming the victim makes about as much sense as Brown's bright idea to deny ER birth control measures to rape victims.  Would you join him in putting the onus of violence on someone who has just endured it?

What I can't understand is how you can believe that someone as wealthy and joined at the hip to corporate interests as Brown will care a whit about the stressors faced by middle class folks of Massachusetts.  Do you expect to make progress by marching backward?

What makes you think this is the person to rescue you from the abuses of Wall Street and the back-breaking premium rates of healthcare corporations (those of you who have private coverage, that is) when he doesn't hold with taxing the banks or getting back the money loaned to them by the taxpayers?

As for fixing my own state, I should love to do so.  I live in a red state:  Kentucky.  I know from long and painful experience how frustrating it is to lack representation in the federal government.  Both our senators are Republican, and have always looked out for corporate interests rather than the needs of human beings.  They are not friends of the middle class.  Far from it.

Must you in Massachusetts now learn the same painful lesson, and learn it the hard way?

For the sake of all the citizens of this nation, I certainly hope not.