Was this joke racists

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Was this joke racists

Greek triple jumper Voula Papachristou was banished from the Olympic Games on Wednesday after making racist comments and expressing right-wing sentiments on Twitter.

“With so many Africans in Greece … at least the West Nile mosquitos will eat homemade food!!!,”

I'm liberal and my wife says I'm too sensitive.  But I don't see how it's racist. 

I think it's kind of funny.  Just because a group of people are black and a joke is made about them doesn't make the joke racist.  The mosquitos are from Africa and recently appeared in Europe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

Re: Was this joke racists

I think the intent was clearly focused on a racial group. Actually two racial groups as most in the nile region are ethnically arab, not "african". It shows a bad frame of mind towards incitement to at least disapproval of certain people. These insects really do not care at all where they are born or bourne. So to relate people to insects is not a nice thing to say. In my mind also racist.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Just because it's funny doesn't mean it is not racist. 
    There are tons of jokes that poke fun of all types of stereotypes; racial, sexual, fat, age, lawyers etc etc. They all poke fun at people in minority categories (minority said in the true sense, not the stolen sense of racial). They are hilarious, because they are untrue. 
    I think it's the backlash and relative sensitivity of a community towards a joke that says more about people than a joke itself. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

Most jokes we like are seriously offensive to someone. Is the target a racial one? Somewhat. So for me if it is a bit it is. Not that I would not find it funny but this OP asked!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

So any joke about Africans is racist? I thought a remark had to be hurtful to be considered racist. I just didn't think the remark was worthy of kicking someone off the Olympic team. I could see if people complained and she was defiant. Or maybe she had a history and this was the straw that broke the camels back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I don't know that it was racist..but it was kind of in poor taste. That being said, I don't think she deserved to be kicked off the team for it. Just another example of how you need to be smarter when using social media..especially if you are a public figure.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Nothing. 
    Maybe "country-ist" (or in this case "continent-ist"), rather than racist, describes the joke better?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to "Re: Was this joke racists":
    Seems the only people offended by this are the same thin skinned liberals that are offened by EVERYTHING Posted by headingsouth
    I'm liberal and I don't think is racist? Generalize much?

Sections
Shortcuts