Busy Since Birth, Thursday, questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Busy Since Birth, Thursday, questions

So far, Cheryl Stober, who blogs at BusySinceBirth.com, has introduced herself, told us 20 facts about herself, and shared her favorite post with us.

Today, she's taking questions from YOU! So don't be shy. Ask away!

Attention readers: Feel free to post comments and questions for Cheryl in this thread. Or just stop by to say "hi." And please come back throughout the week to learn more about Cheryl and her blog. We'll be chatting with her every day in this forum.

Go here to learn more about this series and to nominate a local parenting blogger (or yourself!).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

Re: Busy Since Birth, Thursday, questions

Hi all! I'm feeling a bit better today and back at work this morning. Would love to answer any questions you might have. Thank you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheHelloLadies. Show TheHelloLadies's posts

Cheryl,

How do you work, raise a family, and make time to pursue personal interets - like your blog, for example?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JD Honest Mom. Show JD Honest Mom's posts

Do you find it hard to find time to blog? I work part-time and blogging can't always take priority. But I feel bad when I don't have new content frequently, know what I mean?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TinaN. Show TinaN's posts

How do you decide where to draw the line as to what to blog about from your personal / family life and what to keep private?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

In response to TheHelloLadies' comment:

Cheryl,

How do you work, raise a family, and make time to pursue personal interets - like your blog, for example?

Thanks for your question, TheHelloLadies - though I could pose the same right back to you! Smile My blog has become my inner narrative in a way - I think in terms of blog posts, and find I'm composing them in my head all the time. That way when I do find a snippet of time to sit and write, it happens fairly quickly. It also helps that my kids are getting older now, and I think they like seeing that I'm interested in something beyond them and work. My daughter is really proud of my blog - I'm hoping she'll write a post for me some day!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

In response to JD Honest Mom's comment:

Do you find it hard to find time to blog? I work part-time and blogging can't always take priority. But I feel bad when I don't have new content frequently, know what I mean?

Thanks for your question, JD! I do feel a lot of pressure to create new content - that's part of why I've never partnered with brands or anything. I'd be too worried about adding another deadline to my life! My goal is to post once a week beyond the Having It All Project. Anything more than that and I worry the writing/ideas are worthy. Sometimes inspiration strikes and I get two posts in a week, but that's rare!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jlgrimes. Show jlgrimes's posts

Hi Cheryl - Do your coworkers and colleagues know about your blog? Do you talk about it in the office, or do you try and keep those two worlds separate? That's something I've been struggling with, as a blogger who also works full-time in kind of a public role. I don't talk about my 9-5pm life at all in my blog, since I don't want to make it seem like I am speaking for my employer; I see my life as a blogger as something that's entirely separate. But lately it seems like my two worlds keep colliding! Ever experience this? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

In response to TinaN's comment:

How do you decide where to draw the line as to what to blog about from your personal / family life and what to keep private?

An excellent question, Tina! It's a constant re-evaluation. I try really hard to focus on the positive stuff on my blog, seeing as the Internet does last forever. Sometimes I write something separately, ruminate on it, and then decide not to post it. Other times I walk the line a bit, like in this post on expectations http://www.busysincebirth.com/2012/11/i-just-wanted-to-blow-dry-my-hair-post.html. I let my husband read that post first, and then he posted the first comment so his point of view was out there too.

I also don't talk about my actual job - that topic is pretty much off limits. But I realize how lucky I am - my life is actually pretty boring and non-controvertial!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

In response to jlgrimes' comment:

Hi Cheryl - Do your coworkers and colleagues know about your blog? Do you talk about it in the office, or do you try and keep those two worlds separate? That's something I've been struggling with, as a blogger who also works full-time in kind of a public role. I don't talk about my 9-5pm life at all in my blog, since I don't want to make it seem like I am speaking for my employer; I see my life as a blogger as something that's entirely separate. But lately it seems like my two worlds keep colliding! Ever experience this? 

All my friends are here! It's like a party.

I have gradually become more open about my blog at work. More people know it exists, but I'm not sure how many have bothered to read it. I was treated like a celebrity for a bit while the front page news was out there. It's funny, because I do blog about the challenges of working while parenting, but I don't really talk about the actual work I do. I like keeping it separate, but having your face plastered on boston.com doesn't really lend itself to that!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Can you share a difficult parenting moment and a really silly parenting moment you've had?

What's your advice for meeting other moms?

If you could travel anywhere in the world with your family, where would you go and why?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

In response to BDCKristi's comment:

Can you share a difficult parenting moment and a really silly parenting moment you've had?

What's your advice for meeting other moms?

If you could travel anywhere in the world with your family, where would you go and why?

I think the most difficult moments come around things I wish I didn't have to explain: 9/11, the Holocaust, Newtown, and now the events at the Boston Marathon. Trying to find the right words, the right level of response for my specific child's needs, while also grappling with my own emotional response. I hate that we have to have conversations like these all too often.

It doesn't take much for silliness to happen at home. My son is always ON, and his made up words are often all it takes. But one of my favorites is the kitchen dance party. We have an iPod dock in there, and the kids and I love dancing and rocking out together.

Meeting other parents (not just moms!) is not easy. You need to click with them, you want your kids to click too, and with the wide variety of people in this world, it can be hard to make a connection. I think it's important to keep putting yourself out there - I try to be social, and now that the kids are a bit older, schedule at least one social outlet for myself each week. And that's part of why I love social media so much too - I think I've found some really great friends because of it.

And the travel question is awesome, because we're doing it! Marc and I have long-planned to take a family trip to Israel when our kids were fairly young, and we'll be going this December. I'm really excited for that trip!

Sections
Shortcuts