Honest Mom, Thursday, questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Honest Mom, Thursday, questions

Our Featured Parent Blogger this week is JD Bailey from Honest Mom.

On Monday, she introduced herself. Tuesday, she shared 20 facts about herself and her blog. And on Wednesday, she shared her favorite post (well, she narrowed it down to three!).

Today she is taking questions from YOU! So don't be shy. Ask away!

Readers, feel free to stop by to say "hi" to JD. We'll be chatting with her all week long in these forums so please come back. 

And to find out more about this series or to nominate a blogger (or yourself!), go here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jenn_Rose. Show Jenn_Rose's posts

Re: Honest Mom, Thursday, questions

JD, what's changed for you since the Katie Couric interview? Do you get recognized? Have the other parents at school reacted to it?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllisonHill. Show AllisonHill's posts

Do you feel limited in any way by your blog's core topics? Like you have to be depressed? I know that sometimes snarky mom bloggers feel like they can't post about sentimental parenting stuff, so I'm wondering if the same applies to you, like you'll alienate readers?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from napkinhoarder. Show napkinhoarder's posts

JD, thanks for your vulnerability. How do you balance privacy for yourself and your family when you write about depression? Do you feel like you've been able to be successful in shedding the stigma that is associated with depression?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeannetteBellesfield. Show JeannetteBellesfield's posts

Does your family, outside of your husband, read your blog (that you know of)? If so, is it a topic of conversation at get togethers?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JD Honest Mom. Show JD Honest Mom's posts

In response to Jenn_Rose's comment:

JD, what's changed for you since the Katie Couric interview? Do you get recognized? Have the other parents at school reacted to it?

Hey Jenn! I was shocked, but pretty much no one I know saw the interview, unless I told them in advance to watch. Literally one person I didn't tell about it saw it. I guess the old stereotype of moms sitting around watching daytime TV isn't true - or they're just not watching Katie. ;-) 

I'm happy to keep my face unrecognized. It gives my family more privacy, and since I don't write under my married last name I fly under the radar a bit. Works for me!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JD Honest Mom. Show JD Honest Mom's posts

In response to AllisonHill's comment:

Do you feel limited in any way by your blog's core topics? Like you have to be depressed? I know that sometimes snarky mom bloggers feel like they can't post about sentimental parenting stuff, so I'm wondering if the same applies to you, like you'll alienate readers?

Hi Allison! Great question. It's funny, because since I've been feeling good lately, I haven't wanted to write about depression as much - but I know it's a big part of what my readers look for.

I have decided to get around this by having other bloggers contribute posts to Honest Mom. My readers have told me one of the top things they want on Honest Mom are stories from other moms who deal with depression, so I think some new voices will be much appreciated.

I don't only blog about depression - I blog about parenting, especially about raising daughters - and general mom/woman topics. Those posts get good feedback too, so I've been focusing on them more lately. And of course, it's good for women to hear that having depression doesn't mean always feeling rotten. So I blog about that, too.

Thanks for your question!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JD Honest Mom. Show JD Honest Mom's posts

In response to napkinhoarder's comment:

JD, thanks for your vulnerability. How do you balance privacy for yourself and your family when you write about depression? Do you feel like you've been able to be successful in shedding the stigma that is associated with depression?

Hi! I maintain a level of privacy by not using my married last name, by my husband's request. Years ago I had another blog in which I wrote nothing about depression, and even on that blog I did not use my married name. Privacy for ourselves and our kids is a frequent topic of conversation among bloggers, and I've seen too many frightening things happen (stalking, harassment, etc.) to bloggers. So I am very cautious about protecting my family, no matter what I write about.

That said, I don't have a problem putting my face out there when the opportunity is right. Appearing on Katie Couric's show was huge in reaching many more moms and breaking the stigma of depression - and given the feedback I received from women, I feel like I made some big strides then. But there's so much more to do...

Thanks for stopping by!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JD Honest Mom. Show JD Honest Mom's posts

In response to JeannetteBellesfield's comment:

Does your family, outside of your husband, read your blog (that you know of)? If so, is it a topic of conversation at get togethers?

Hi Jeannette! My mom and my in-laws know about the blog now, but that's it. If they read it, they don't talk about it to me. But when I told them about it (due to the Katie show thing) they were incredibly proud and supportive. :-)

Thanks for coming by!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kfgrum. Show kfgrum's posts

Is it hard to know where to draw the line on what you share and don't share?  Do you think you'll still be this candid when your children are older?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JD Honest Mom. Show JD Honest Mom's posts

In response to kfgrum's comment:

Is it hard to know where to draw the line on what you share and don't share?  Do you think you'll still be this candid when your children are older?  

Hi! Thanks for your questions. I draw the line by saying to myself, "Would I be okay with my kids reading this when they are older?" If the answer is no, then I don't publish it. I think it's important for kids to see that their parents are human and have struggles, too. And it's also important to know that being a parent can be really hard. I don't know if my kids will ever know about my blog - I'm guessing not, unless I become a famous author someday! But I always write as if they might.