It's Not Like A Cat, Monday introduction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCRachel. Show BDCRachel's posts

It's Not Like A Cat, Monday introduction

Our #FeaturedParentBlogger this week is Julia Magnusson, who blogs at It's Not Like A Cat.

Welcome, Julia!

Please introduce yourself and tell us about your blog.

Readers, stay with us this week as we learn more about Julia and her blog. Feel free to say hi and ask questions each day. Also, we invite you to read about our past Featured Parent Bloggers and nominate a blogger for this series.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not Like a Cat. Show Not Like a Cat's posts

Re: It's Not Like A Cat, Monday introduction

Hi! I’m Julia from It’s Not Like a Cat, a blog about the rough transition from cat ownership to motherhood (seriously, you cannot just leave the baby with a bowl of food for the weekend—it’s TRUE).  I’m thrilled to be this week’s Featured Parent Blogger here at Boston.com, and I look forward to meeting all of you!

Motherhood was indeed a rough transition. For a few years, I blogged mostly about postpartum depression and the shock of becoming a stay-at-home mom. I reached many women who also struggled with those issues, and I learned how powerful a blog can be—both from the blogs that helped me through those dark times, and from women writing to me to tell me how my blog helped them realize they were not alone.

My blog has since become a happier and more hopeful place (because, you know, I’m happier!).  I still address the important topic of depression sometimes, but now I mostly write about running, parenting, and food. Healthy food. CSA-type food. Farmer’s markets. Cooking with kids.

Trail running. Motivation. Races. Losing and regaining my running mojo. I was planning to run my first ultramarathon this fall (the TARC Fall Classic, a great day of trail races!) but due to injury will only be running the half marathon instead. Also, have you ever seen an ultramarathon training plan? It’s really time-consuming!

And like everyone else, spare time isn’t something I have plenty of. I have two small boys (a preschooler and a kindergartner), who are delightful, engaged, and hilarious. (Also, yes, sometimes they fight. Whatever.) I also have a funny and patient husband, a young cat, and some fish. I don’t know how many fish we have right now, because the cat has taken to fishing in the aquarium.

When I’m not running, cooking, building Legos, or breaking up fights, I work as a freelance writer and editor.  Among other projects, I’m an editor at the just-about-to-launch parenting site Piccolo Universe.

I hope you enjoy It’s Not Like a Cat and become a regular reader. You can also interact with me on Facebook and Twitter.  Thanks for reading!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JD Honest Mom. Show JD Honest Mom's posts

So great to see you here, Julia! You're fabulous and totally deserve the spotlight.  :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KathyRadigan. Show KathyRadigan's posts

Looking forward to getting to know you better! I love the name of your blog, hysterical. And, so true, babies are not like cats, I learned that one the hard way! Lol!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not Like a Cat. Show Not Like a Cat's posts

Wow, thanks! I think you're the one who inspired me to try to get featured here, JD!

Sections
Shortcuts