Keeping Mommy Sane, Thursday, questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Keeping Mommy Sane, Thursday, questions

So far this week, Jessica at Keeping Mommy Sane has introduced herself and shared 20 facts about herself and her blog as well as her favorite post of all time.

Today, she takes questions from YOU!

Don't be shy. Ask her about being a mom, living in Boston, blogging, or anything else. Or just stop by to say "hi."

To nominate a local blogger (or yourself!) and to find out more about this series, go here. And don't forget to check out Boston.com Moms and like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedShutters. Show RedShutters's posts

Re: Keeping Mommy Sane, Thursday, questions

Jessica, how do you find time to work, raise a family, blog, and run? Do you have more hours in the day than the rest of us? ;-) 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaneG80. Show JaneG80's posts

How long were you and Dr. G married before you had kids? Any more in the future, do you think?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jlgrimes. Show jlgrimes's posts

In response to RedShutters' comment:

Jessica, how do you find time to work, raise a family, blog, and run? Do you have more hours in the day than the rest of us? ;-) 

Hi! Thanks for the question! Ahh, I wish that was the case :) We could all use a few more hours, right? It sounds like a cop-out but I have gotten pretty good at multi-tasking. For example, on my drive in to work (or when I run) I'll be brainstorming different blog post ideas, so by the time I'm done, I've already got a good outline going and it's pretty much already written. I also work out early in the morning (5am), which definitely took some time getting used to, but I love it because I've already gotten that out of the way before my day has even really begun. My husband is also so incredibly supportive. He knows how important my outside interests are, so we find ways to [in the words of Tim Gunn] "make it work." I will say I've noticed that I've been pretty bad lately of checking email or fiddling around on my iPhone when I'm with my kids in the evening so I'm really trying to be mindful of that. Sometimes you can take multi-tasking too far ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

Can you talk about your choice not to reveal your children's names online? I used to be anonymous on my blog, but with the advent of facebook, I stopped that long ago.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jlgrimes. Show jlgrimes's posts

In response to JaneG80's comment:

How long were you and Dr. G married before you had kids? Any more in the future, do you think?

Hi! Hmmm [slowly doing math] ... we were married for about 1.5 yrs when we found out we were expecting my son, and just over 2 yrs by the time he was born. In all honesty, I think we would have wanted to wait another year or two before starting a family, but there were some logistical factors at play (impending moves, etc.) so we decided to bump up our timeline. And it was - obviously - the best decision we ever made :) As for more kids ... I think we're about 99.9% sure we're done with two (sorry, Mom and Dad :>). Thanks for your question!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jlgrimes. Show jlgrimes's posts

In response to LilMisBusy's comment:

Can you talk about your choice not to reveal your children's names online? I used to be anonymous on my blog, but with the advent of facebook, I stopped that long ago.

Hi! Ahhh, that's a really good question, and is one I've struggled with because I do use their real names on my personal Facebook account. I can't tell you how many times I almost published a post with their real names and had a panic attack. I guess, for me, starting my blog was my decision, not theirs, and I wanted to give them a little privacy (though I do post their photos??) and I'd hate for them to come across these posts when they're older and be embarrassed (or have their attempts at potty training or first kindergarten girlfriend be indexed by Google). If I'm still blogging when my son is older and he wants me to use his name, I'd be happy to, but I just didn't feel comfortable making that decision on their behalf. It also made sense because we had already decided on a pseudonym for my husband. But I can tell you that our dog's name really is Raven :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JillR83. Show JillR83's posts

Hi, Jessica! Do you ever find it difficult or challenging being a vegetarian and cooking for your family? If the kids asked for burgers, would you make them? ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jlgrimes. Show jlgrimes's posts

In response to JillR83's comment:

Hi, Jessica! Do you ever find it difficult or challenging being a vegetarian and cooking for your family? If the kids asked for burgers, would you make them? ;)

Thanks - another good question! Neither of my kids ae vegetarians, although Buddy eats more like me and Mimi, on the other hand, can't get enough meat! On weekights, we often do what I call the "protein swap" ... so all 4 of us will have, say, couscous and veggies, and I may have a veggie burger while the kids have a hot dog. One thing I have been doing with our New Food Monday experiment (which we're hoping to get back into this week) is trying to get them to try new foods that are more vegetarian (like beans, hummus, etc). I'm hoping that along the way they may find some they like, which will certainly make meal planning easier for me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Tell us the best advice you have received about parenting. And the worst.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from urbanmomma. Show urbanmomma's posts

What are your favorite tips for busy moms related to exercise, controlling appetite, energy and overall health?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jlgrimes. Show jlgrimes's posts

In response to BDCKristi's comment:

Tell us the best advice you have received about parenting. And the worst.

The best parenting advice I ever received has actually help me deal with the not-so-great advice: Trust your instincts. I am normally a confident person, but I was so doubtful and unsure of myself with my oldest child, always second-guessing my decisions, worried that I wasn't doing things the "right" way. But I remember someone telling me to go with my gut, and to trust my motherly instincts (and common sense). I had to believe in myself and that little voice inside me that just knows my son's cough sounds like more than just a cold, or that there's something behind my daughter's tough transition to solid foods. I remind myself of this -- even to this day -- when well-meaning friends or relatives share their two-cents about parenting

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mommybitesboston. Show mommybitesboston's posts

Hi Jessica! What is your best advice to keep organized and feel a sense of balance (I realize that's never truly possible) as a busy working mom?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jlgrimes. Show jlgrimes's posts

In response to urbanmomma's comment:

What are your favorite tips for busy moms related to exercise, controlling appetite, energy and overall health?

Hmm, this is a tough one because every mom has a different schedule, obligations, responsiblities, etc. For exercise, I'd say the most important thing is to squeeze it in when you can and try to do it as regularly as possible. It doesn't always have to be a workout at the gym; a brisk, 40 min walk pushing a stroller is definitely a workout too! Personally, I like to exercise in the early morning because I get it out of the way and don't have to worry about doing it later after work, when I'm tired and want to spend time w/my kids and am more likely to make excuses to avoid it. But I think the key is doing some sort of exercise regularly.

I wish I could offer advice on controlling appetite! I'm still working on that one :) Although I will say I recently discovered chia seeds and add them to my yogurt, oatmeal, etc. and they are definitely filling!

As far as energy and overall health, I think planning is soooo important. I plan our meals out each week and write them on a board in our kitchen, which is not only helpful from a time mgmt perspective but also ensures we're eating well (lots of veggies, grains, etc). I usually try to go to sleep early (since I'm often up at 4:45am), and when I plan to make sure I am getting my 7-8 hrs, I notice a definite improvement in my energy levels.

Sorry for the long answer :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jlgrimes. Show jlgrimes's posts

In response to mommybitesboston's comment:

Hi Jessica! What is your best advice to keep organized and feel a sense of balance (I realize that's never truly possible) as a busy working mom?

Hi! Thanks for your question. Hmmm, I admit I struggle with both organization and balance. One other thing that helped is having a "command center" for my kitchen, which basically consists of our calendar and a white board where I write down our meal plan for the week, Buddy's school schedule (so I remember which day is library, gym, etc.) and items we need at the grocery store.

The other thing that helps is doing as much as I can the night before - and on Sundays. During the week, once the kids go to bed, I am making lunches, packing snacks, checking backpacks, ironing clothes, etc. It helps minimize the craziness when we're all trying to get out the door in the morning. On Sundays, I'll try to bake muffins or something for the kids' snacks for the week or I'll make a batch of soup I can eat for lunch during the week. I also spend 10 minutes on Sunday night laying out 5 outfits for each kid for the week, so we're not fumbling in the morning. Plus BOTH my kids are picky about clothes and they like being able to choose, so this gives them some sense of control :)

I'd love to hear what other moms do and if they have any good tips to share!

Sections
Shortcuts