tubalub, Thursday, questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

tubalub, Thursday, questions

So far Kip Durney, who blogs at tubalub.com, has introduced himself, offered 20 facts about himself and his blog, and shared his favorite post with us.

Today the dad blogger is taking questions from YOU! So please don't be shy. Ask away! 

Attention readers: Feel free to post questions in this thread today for Kip to answer. To learn more about this series and to nominate a local parenting blogger (or yourself!), go here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Re: tubalub, Thursday, questions

What is your advice to new dads?

If you could take your kids anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

Tell us about a parenting moment that surprised you.

Do you have any pet peeves?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KipDurney. Show KipDurney's posts

What is your advice to new dads?

Sleep now.  And often.  And LONG!

Being a parent is initially an exercise in sleep deprivation.  For some of us, it's a short excercise while others (like myself) it can linger on excruciatingly for 16 months or longer!  But somehow, we find a way to function even if in a degraded state.  

I would also say that it's imporant to recognize the fact that you are NOT going to be perfect, you will make mistakes, and you will no always have the answers.  AND THAT'S OK!  There is no instruction manual for raising kids and even if there were, it's safe to assume that it would be controversial.  

Lastly, I would suggest being completely honest with your kids, your spouse, and your self.  Know your limitations and ask for help when you need it.

Being a Dad is a series of trial and error routines.  Once you get in a groove, you'll figure it out.  :)  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KipDurney. Show KipDurney's posts

If you could take your kids anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

I guess it depends on their ages but if we keep it in the present (girls are 6 and my son is 4), I would take them to Crane Beach in Ipswich.  It's the one place (including Disney) that they love more than anything.  

Now, I'm pretty sure the appeal is the beach... any beach for that matter so I'm confident that they would have a similar reaction to the white sandy beaches of southern France as well that Mom and Dad would certainly enjoy a great deal more than the lovely Cape Ann.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KipDurney. Show KipDurney's posts

Tell us about a parenting moment that surprised you.

I'm not sure I could pick just one but I have recognized the theme of those moments.  Kids are MUCH smarter than we give them credit for and I think I realized that when I finally understood that kids don't think the same way we do.  Kids see simplicity in things while we overcomplicate.  

Now in our defense, we also have had a lifetime of experiences that have guided us in our every day lives so it's natural for us to be more skeptical or more elaborate because of that.  Kids on the other hand can be very linear.  When we ask them to do something, they do (sometimes!) just that.  We always take it to the next level often missing the basic task that was requested.  

I see this in all my kids daily.  And to be honest, at that point, I'm learing from them.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KipDurney. Show KipDurney's posts

Do you have any pet peeves?

How much time do we have?  

There are always some things that bug us and I'm no different.  But there is one thing that drives me crazy and I cannot, after years of trying, get them to CLEAN THE TOOTHPASTE OFF THE SINK!  

Oh, and chew with your mouth closed of course.  :)