11-11-11

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

11-11-11

Tomorrow is 11-11-11.
    Do you have a unique date like this in the family? The birth of a child, an anniversary?

I know of a baby born on 10-10-10 that weighed 10 lbs 10 oz.
    My husband's cousin was just married on 9-10-11, which I thought was neat.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: 11-11-11

some-guy, we analytical types (sometimes to a fault?) need to temper ourselves so as not to throw cold water on other people's fun - we don't all have the same temperament, and there's nothing wrong with that.  What is the point of being so negative about it?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know, and I can relate as I so often do to your sentiments.  But, I was reminded by your post of my mom's actually teaching me to keep wet blanket thoughts like that to myself because I was ultra prone to saying them (although, I never meant to be mean, either) and doing so serves as little purpose as making a fuss over the numbers does.

ETA: The fact is people do find it fascinating and some make plans around such dates so it can be argued that it can change one's life if they want it to.  I don't relate to that idea or know why, either, but there's no reason to say so.  Just don't participate if you don't find it a reasonable thing to discuss or care about, you know?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I was married 7.7.07 - It was a coincidence as I was looking for a Saturday as close to the 4th of July as possible and that was it.

That said, DH and I planned a date night tonight in honor of the triple date.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

My son was born on 10/11/10 (happy 13 months DS), and it was SUPER annoying to hear everyone say how if I had him one day earlier he would have the coolest birthday ever (well, until 11/11/11 or 12/12/12).  

I had a friend born on 6/12/72 which I thought was neat, but then again I like math.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

My friend is having her little man right now, so he'll have 11/11/11 as his birrthday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I was invited to not one but two 10.10.10 weddings. Really people? Is it that hard to remember your anniversary?

That said, my best friend turns 30 today, which I think is kinda cool. I wouldn't go out of my way to schedule something on a fancy date, but if something special happens to fall on it, that's nice. I always like a significant date. (A friend of mine and her sister both got married on the 27th because their parents' anniversary is the 27th and their house number growing up was 27.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

My niece's bday is 03/03/03. My other niece's bday is 03/04/05. My other niece's bday is 04/05/06.

They were all scheduled inductions - my SIL is really into numbers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

In Response to Re: 11-11-11:
    My niece's bday is 03/03/03. My other niece's bday is 03/04/05. My other niece's bday is 04/05/06. They were all scheduled inductions - my SIL is really into numbers.
    Posted by SilverFestiva

I hope she doesn't move to another country, particularly in Europe or Australasia, because she'll be disappointed that her kids birthdays are on 03/03/03, 04/03/05 & 05/04/06.

It's all relative.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: 11-11-11 : I hope she doesn't move to another country, particularly in Europe or Australasia, because she'll be disappointed that her kids birthdays are on 03/03/03, 04/03/05 & 05/04/06. It's all relative.
    Posted by Kiwiguy

That about made my coffee come out my nose - hilarious!

Seriously, though, I can't imagine choosing to have a labor driven by pitocin for any reason that wasn't medically necessary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

My birthday can be a conundrum. The date is nothing special except to me of course, and my family and friends. But I was born in New Zealand which is 18 hours ahead of EST. So technically, my "birthday" starts in Boston at 6am on the day before and ends some 42 hours later at midnight in Boston. At least that is what I tell my wife in order to stretch out any birthday treats.

By the same token - I call all my family back home in New Zealand on Christmas Eve (Boston time) to talk to them on Christmas Day (New Zealand time).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Does she buy into this creative way to extend the Birthday Boy's special treatment?  She kind of has to - it's too clever to deny.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

Facebook can be useful. My family and friends in NZ wish me happy birthday via Facebook and that of course pops up the day before (Boston time). I use that as evidence that it is in fact my birthday.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to 11-11-11:
    Tomorrow is 11-11-11. Do you have a unique date like this in the family? The birth of a child, an anniversary? I know of a baby born on 10-10-10 that weighed 10 lbs 10 oz. My husband's cousin was just married on 9-10-11, which I thought was neat.
    Posted by BDCKristi

Yeah, I got a special date...June 6, 1966....my Birthday! 6/6/66

Surprised

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

My cousin went into the hospital on Wednesday at 3am-ish and the doctors were sure that her baby would be born yesterday, but he waited intil 12:37am today! So he is an 11/11/11 baby, which I think is pretty neat! No one will ever forget his birthday :)

Some people find numbers really fun. And the whole getting married on 10/10/10....well it was awesome :) My wedding photographer was booked two years ago for todays date.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

It is my birthday!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Today is notable because it is Veteran's Day.

One of my favorite movies is This Is Spinal Tap and I resisted the urge to make a big deal out of calling it Nigel Tufnel Day ("This one goes to 11!") because it feels like it's cheapening Veteran's Day. 

Of course, while we were talking about this today my husband said he was looking forward to January second, 2034 (1/2/34).  I reminded him our daughter would be 25 and the embryo I'm gestating would be 22.  That was a weird thought.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

On 1/2/34, my step-dad would be 94...pretty old for a man with diabetes, but you never know!  

By the way, of course not to take away from Veteran's Day, I was totally amused by calling it Nigel Tufnel Day, what a clever Spinal Tap reference.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

In Response to Re: 11-11-11 : That about made my coffee come out my nose - hilarious! Seriously, though, I can't imagine choosing to have a labor driven by pitocin for any reason that wasn't medically necessary.
    Posted by kargiver

You can't assume that it wasn't medically necessary. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I think a lot of kids get excited about this sort of thing.  It may not have much purpose, but neither does much of what we find joy in.  Might as well enjoy it if your temperament allows!

I remember when I was a kid that we celebrated at 1:23:45 6/7/89.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I'm taking this a little off topic, but the talk of dates makes me think of other number fun, like riding in the car with my dad for an extra few miles just to watch the odometer turn over to 100,000 miles (or maybe 200,000, he drives his cars forever) all those 9s slipping to 0s was so cool. Now I drive a car with a digital odometer, and it just isn't the same. Anyone else miss that? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to 11-11-11 : I just looked at my clock and it said 11/11/11 and the time was 12:13:14.  Is this special or unique in any way? No. I don't understand why anyone would make a big deal about a date. It's numbers, sooner or later a pattern will develop.
    Posted by some-guy

Any reason to celebrate or have fun with something ought to be embraced.  The older I get the more I realize this.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I'm taking this a little off topic, but the talk of dates makes me think of other number fun, like riding in the car with my dad for an extra few miles just to watch the odometer turn over to 100,000 miles (or maybe 200,000, he drives his cars forever) all those 9s slipping to 0s was so cool. Now I drive a car with a digital odometer, and it just isn't the same. Anyone else miss that? 
    Posted by amy-lynn

I agree completely!!  Same thing with the boards in train stations -- an LED display isn't the same as when it would go flip flip flip flip flip and all the new departure information would come up.  :)

Sections
Shortcuts