1st Birthday Venue ideas?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yadayadayada. Show yadayadayada's posts

I appreciate everyone's advice. Unfortunately, our home is not big enough for the crowd we NEED to host. Yes, NEED. He is the first born out of all my close friends, the first grandchild on both sides so also the first nephew to a total of 8 siblings and spouses/significant others. This of course does not include his playgroup friends and their mommies. We've gone to all of their birthday parties and it is expected (I know... sigh!) that they will be included in his birthday gathering.

I realize he is 1 and won't remember but we'll have the memories and he'll have the photos. I also realize that this is obviously more for us than it is for him. Yes, an intimate home gathering would be preferred but that isn't going to happen... there is absolutely no way we could fit more than maybe 6 people in our apartment. That being said, if you have any suggestions for a venue in or around Brookline, I could really use your help... i have 2 weeks! AHHHHH!

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

I had wanted to do something big for my son's birthday....but we ended up having something fairly small. I think (my opinion only!) that the 1 year old b-day is for the parents....the little man won't even remember it! The best part is the pictures of him eating his cake (or in my case having cake all over his face!) I would save the fun venues until they are older and can really enjoy. Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

I agree with the others. we too wanted to do something special, but realized it would be nothing our daughter would remember, so we had our normal summer bbq in the fall and called it her birthday party. It was a great excuse to get all of our friends together for something we would have done anyways and she looked really cute being the center of attention and stuffing her face with cake.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

I don't blame you for being excited. But let's think about this. This boy is 1. He will never remember this day - this is just for you. What he might do, though is get frightened when lots of people start singing and staring at him and waiting for him to like it.

I think the perfect venue for a first birthday party is the birthday boy's home. Surrounded by his parents very closest friends and family.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Nice to see you back on the boards yada. And congratulations on your little guy's first birthday.
    I know the 1st birthday is a big milestone for parents. Myself included. But truly our children do not care - they are too young and will get overstimulated with too many things going on around them.
    I would just have a small party at home. Have a cake and invite a few close family members and friends.
    You can take him to the Aquarium any day of the year. He will not know the difference. Just my 2 cents.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]I appreciate everyone's advice. Unfortunately, our home is not big enough for the crowd we NEED to host. Yes, NEED. He is the first born out of all my close friends, the first grandchild on both sides so also the first nephew to a total of 8 siblings and spouses/significant others. This of course does not include his playgroup friends and their mommies. We've gone to all of their birthday parties and it is expected (I know... sigh!) that they will be included in his birthday gathering.

I realize he is 1 and won't remember but we'll have the memories and he'll have the photos. I also realize that this is obviously more for us than it is for him. Yes, an intimate home gathering would be preferred but that isn't going to happen... there is absolutely no way we could fit more than maybe 6 people in our apartment. That being said, if you have any suggestions for a venue in or around Brookline, I could really use your help... i have 2 weeks! AHHHHH!

Thanks![/Quote]

Well, in that case, what about Bertucci's? There are a couple around there and I am pretty sure that some have private rooms. I think a pizza party is perfect for a 1yo's party. Good luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi yada,
    Just wondering what you did end up doing for your son's birthday - and how it went. Care to share?
    And happy holidays to you and your family - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Are there any type of tumbling gym places in the area. Something like this..

http://www.kidsfunstop.com/

Kids of all ages can run around and blow off some steam. What were you thinking? A place mainly for the adults?

You mentioned the Aquarium..what about the Children's museum?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

I must agree that a home party is best for a first. Not only will he not remember and you can save the idea for another year when he will be able to enjoy and appreciate it better, but he is less likely to get too overwhelmed in his familiar surroundings.
    Also, you can still use the idea of the aquarium as your theme and put paper fish and penguins around, make layered blue jello with swedish fish in the middle so it looks like they are swimming, seaweed streamers (green crepe paper), cupcakes with blue sugar tops and gummy sharks, etc

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yadayadayada. Show yadayadayada's posts

Hello ladies! It's been a while since i've been on here. My little man is nearing his first birthday and i'm getting the party planning bug. Do any of you have suggestions for a venue in the Brookline, Brighton area?
    We considered the aquarium b/c our son loves it there... what do you think... too young for the aquarium?
    Thanks in advance for your help! Hope everyone is well!
    -Yada

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red1977. Show Red1977's posts

Not to burst your bubble, but I agree with the previous posters: I would recommend a simple, home birthday party.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Congrats on the baby and the one year mark. I have to agree w/ the other posters. The first birthday is totally for the parents. You could have the birthday anywhere; the baby won't notice the difference. As long as he gets to do the cake face plant, he'll be happy. :-) Have it at home and save yourself the $$ and trouble of organizing a birthday party. My friend had a backyard BBQ for her twin boys' first birthday. One was awake and into the cupcake, while his brother fell asleep in his highchair, cupcake untouched in front of him. I don't think your son will appreciate the aquarium until he's at least 2 or older. HTH!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Hi, yada! Congratulations on your son's first birthday! Bet it's been quite a year!

Have to agree with the others...keep it simple or you'll find yourself spiralling out of control...what would you do to top the first birthday? What about when he's 4 or 5 and might actually remember the party?

No matter what you do, enjoy the day with your precious son! Best wishes!