Accupuncture

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Accupuncture

I hope someone can give me some advice. I want to try accupuncture, not for fertility reasons, but for pain management.  Do you know if you can just book an appointment, or if you need a medical referral?  Also, does anyone know what the actual cost [not co-pay] is for a session and how long it lasts?  Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Re: Accupuncture

Hi Alf,

I've had acupuncture for a few different things - infertility, dry skin patches, anxiety, sleeplessness...

The initial session is often the longest (about 1.5 hours) and will cost around $80. My sessions after that one usually have gone for 30-60 minutes and cost $60 each.

I have always self referred.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I have had accupunture for pain, and I just called and made an appointment. She works out of a Spa so it felt a little strange but it was great, my insurance covered it and I would recommend it for pain management (I actually got near instant relief).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Mine was a little more expensive: $120 for initial visit, $80 for subsequent.  The first visit is longer since they take a history and talk about what you're seeing them for.  I went initially to try to get my breech baby to flip, but have continued to go about once a month for stress relief/relaxation. 

Depends on your insurance if it's covered, and on your provider if they accept your insurance.  I pay out of pocket (it's my treat to myself!), but I know that some insurance does cover it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Hi Alf,

I went to Acupuncture for a while for infertility and pain management and relaxation.  It really helped with my back pain.  I actually found it more relaxing than massage.  My insurance covered I 80% of it and I ended up paying maybe $15/visit.

If you are looking for a good place (I am not sure what area you live in).  When I used to work in Nashua, went to Sarah Barlotta at Nashua Accupuncture http://www.nashuaacupuncture.com/ .  She was excellent!  I only stopped going because I live/work in Burlington/Beford area and it is too far out of the was now.

I'd love to find someone in this area that comes highly recommended, if anyone has suggestions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks.  What would you say your experience was w/ it? Does it work? Immediately or do you need several sessions? How long do the benefits last? 

I am 99% sure my insurance will not cover this, so I want to make sure that it actually works [or has a better chance of working than not] before I shell out. Also, I am afraid of needles.  But if I can be assured that it works, I can get over the needles.  The pain is outweighing my fear at this point.  Thanks. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I argue that yes, it does work. It certainly helped me with the ailments mentioned above (although, I guess we will never know with certainty if it assisted with infertility, but it didn't hurt). Even after one session I come away really relaxed with an overall sense of calm, but for things such as dry skin patches I probably started to see a difference after two or three sessions.

The needles are so fine you barely feel them (it can be a little uncomfortable if you move the body part that they are stuck in -for example I need to scratch once and it was uncomfortable around the needle that was in my moving hand). Where skin is thinner you may feel them, but again it doesn't hurt or sting and after a while you aren't even aware that they are even there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks.  Accupressure is working for one type of pain, but there is no way for them to do accupressure for my hips and back w/o directly manipulating those areas and I am leery of having them maniuplated.  I'll start calling around to some places. I'm in the DC area and everything is insanely expensive.  I'll probably end up going back to hte dr this week or next so I'll check to see if accupuncture is covered, even though I"m virtually certain it's not. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

My experience was great!  For pain relief I'd have instand minor relief and then as I went more the relief would last for longer intervals between visits until I was just going to maintain the relief.  I has muscle spasms in my back that were so severe they pulled a disk out of allignment... this combined with physical therapy and theraputic massage were a life saver!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Alf - just FYI, Japanese acupuncture uses much thinner needles than Chinese acupuncture.  If needles are your worry, you may want to go for the Japanese style.

Sections
Shortcuts