airplane travel question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

airplane travel question

I will be flying Southwest with a 6month old (lap infant).   does anyone know if I can gate check a snapngo with infant seat still clicked in and just throw the seat base in the stroller basket?  ie, does the gate check item need to be folded up and all in a bag?  or is this a terrible idea?  I have no idea where/how the gate checked items go.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: airplane travel question

Hope this helps:

Does an infant or child safety seat count as baggage?

• Customers traveling with children will be allowed to check one stroller and one Child Restraint System (CRS) or car seat per child without charge. This is in addition to the regular free baggage allowance.
    • The stroller and CRS or car seat allowance applies to any type of stroller (umbrella, full size, jogging stroller, etc.) and CRS or car seat.
    • The Customer may check the stroller and CRS or car seat at the curb, ticket counter, or gate.
    • Southwest Airlines will not assume liability for damage to strollers, CRSs or car seats. Each should be tagged as conditionally accepted and placed in a plastic bag.

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/infants.html#crd

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

They'll probably make you collapse it.

And having gate checked strollers, it's a pain to get them in the bag, but if you can I would-ours have come back dirty and a bit more weathered. The Car seat I would definitely put in a bag! They throw this stuff in with the checked luggage, so it's kinda dusty and nasty under the plane.

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

We just flew Southwest last month with our one-year olds.  We gate-checked their single umbrella strollers w/o any sort of bag (be sure to get a special tag for them once you get to the gate--just go up to the desk).  I would think with the snap 'n' go, you would need to separate everything.  I don't think they'll put it in the plane in one piece and I don't think they'll be very careful about keeping the base with the stroller and seat.  Do you need to have the seat base with you or can you check it with your regular luggage?  If you can do that, I'd highly recommend it.  (I know there's always the risk of losing your checked luggage, but I think you can install most infant seats w/out the base if that were to happen--not as convenient, of course, but possible, and it would be one less item to keep track of and get through security etc.)  I would definitely recommend putting the seat itself in some sort of bag before gate-checking it.  I think the gate check people/process is generally more gentle than checking something at the check-in counter, but I think it would be be a good idea to put the seat in a bag.  I don't know why, but it "feels" wrong to just have it floating around without being in a bag.  Maybe call the airline about it?  I know they sell car seat travel bags at BRU, Target, and Walmart for convertible seats (price range varies, but some are only $15 or so).  You'd have to look into whether or not they are suitable for infant seats.  Alternatively, you could probably just put it in a (clear?) trash bag if it fits.

Overall, I found the Southwest staff to be very helpful to us.  When we checked in for our outbound flight, the person at the desk told us there were plenty of extra seats and suggested that we bring the car seats with us instead of checking them so that we could use them on the plane.  The flight attendants (one of whom was also a mother of twins), were helpful with getting us settled and making sure we were all set with hooking up the car seats.  After the flight, someone offered to help us carry a few things up the walkway, etc.  On the return flight, as I was struggling to keep DD from running away (DH and DS had already gotten on the plane to get seats for us), trying not to misplace my carry-on bag, and fold the stroller, one of the Southwest people came up and said he'd take care of folding the stroller, and asked if I needed any help getting on the plane.  So...overall a good experience and we were impressed with the helpfulness of the staff.  Hopefully you'll have a similar experience!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm very curious to see if others have had good experiences flying with infants.  (I hope so!) 
    I was on a flight a few months ago where they made parents move a baby (I forget how old it looked, but must have been old enough to sit up) from an empty seat because they hadn't purchased a seat for the baby... even though there were empty seats on the flight.  I thought it was ridiculous.  On the other hand, maybe it was a safety issue because they didn't have a carseat with them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

It was definately a safety issue, your supposed to have a car seat.  Though its a bit contradictory because the bassinets for the bulk-head row don't have little seatbelts in them...

Anyway, definately get a bag for the snap and go and a bad for the car seat.  The one I used was the JL Childress Gate Check Bag for Car Seats, Red by J.L. Childress on Amazon.com ($12) and they also have one for umbrella strollers, definately worth it.

Also, when checking in, ask if there are any empty seats so you can bring the car seat on.  And ask again at the gate too if the first answer is no.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

thanks for the advice!  It would make my day to have any empty seat next to us that I could put her car seat on - 5.5hr flight w/ a squirmy lap infant, shoot me.  (I do have a travel companion to help)  and I actually already have a nice padded car seat bag that will hold my infant seat + base - it's just that it's big - even when empty - and kind of a pain and I'm trying to pack super light (which is turning out to be impossible with a 6mo)  I thought it would be great if I could just wheel the whole stroller setup right up to the gate, pull the baby out and walk on the plane, but I don't want her stuff being thrown underneath unprotected.  I just wasn't sure what they did with those things.  unfortunately, I won't have time to get a bag for the snap n go, so I'll have to use a trash bag and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't get destroyed!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I have always wondered...you know the little oxygen masks that come down if the plane loses pressure or whatever...what about the babies on people's laps? Do they give you an extra mask or something? I wonder this EVERY single time I'm on a plane and I always forget to ask.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

They will most likely make you collapse everything.  I know the carseat bag is big but it does provide you with plenty of space to stow the car seat and base and maybe some toys or other bulky items that you don't want to check in luggage or put in carry-ons (we skip bringing the base with us whenever we travel and just use the seatbelt install method).

Just a few comments on other posts:
    I agree that the infant in lap/car seat rules are weird and contradictory.  You can have your child under two in your lap, unsecured, but you are not allowed to use a wrap of any sort to secure the baby to you during liftoff or landing.  Then magically at age two you need to purchase an extra seat, but you only HAVE to have a carseat if the child is unable to sit unsupported (obviously individual ariline rules may vary). So if I purchase a seat for my 16 month old, I do not have to bring a carseat (for most airlines) unless I want to.  I flew last month with him in my lap...I think it's the last time we'll be doing that.  Too unconfortalbe for a cross country flight.

Finally, don't count on having many empty seats on planes these days.  Short commuter-type flights to NY and other east coast destinations may have availability, but it's pretty rare to find a flight that isn't overbooked in this new economy that we live in.  We did 2 legs out and 2 legs back (Boston to Portland, OR) and only the final flight from Newark to Boston at 6:00 a.m. had extra seats...all others were overbooked and looking for people to bump.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Dream--this is a big issue that parents of twins deal with all the time.  There are four oxygen masks/three seats.  What that means is that you cannot have more than one lap infant in each section of three seats.  For parents of twins, that translates into both parents + twins cannot sit together. For whatever reason, as I understand it, this rule is also enforced when there is an empty seat in the row.  When we travelled, on the outbound flight, we sat one in front of the other--each with one child.  On the return flight, we sat across the aisle from each other--each with one child.  It wasn't terrible, but it is nicer to be able to sit next to and have a conversation with your spouse, and it would be easier to share the diaper bag/toys, etc. if we were all sitting together.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

One airline I flew actually had an infant in lap attachment for your seatbelt. It was another seatbelt that connected to yours. Not pefect by any means, but I was surprised when they handed it to me.

I know when flying Delta, they said, if the seat next to us was empty we could put DS in it at no charge.

We never bring DS' carseat on the plane, we always check it. We do use this http://www.kidsflysafe.com/ the only FAA approved restraint system other than a car seat. It's only a pound, and easily fits in your diaper bag. Only problem we had with it was DS being squirmy can slip out from the bottom since it's only a four point harness, but I attached a scarf to from around his shoulder to between his legs and it kept him from sliding down.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

my baby is still too small for that harness (she's 15lbs), but I think I'll get one for the future.  with our padded bag, I'm not worried about damage to the car seat from checking it, just what we would do in the event it gets lost.  would one of us have to sit at the airport with the baby while the other one takes a taxi to buy a carseat??  it would be nice not to have to lug the carseat all the way through security and up to the gate though.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

A while ago, I stumbled across some "travel with infants" thing, I think in the NYT.  I did bookmark a stroller/carseat/flight seat combo thing; the maker is Lilly Gold:

http://www.lillygold.com/products.html

I'll leave it to the more experienced moms to judge whether or not this would be a good thing, but it's definitely on my list of things to explore when/if we need to do much flying with the Bean.  I don't THINK for the number of trips I foresee that it would be worth it, but you never know. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BE2Be. Show BE2Be's posts

In an emergency like the one you just described, Lesal, in which your carseat was lost you could rent a carseat from a rental car place that is located at the airport.  Not necessarily ideal (ie you don't know the history of the car seat, it might be an outdated model etc.) but in a pinch it's a good option and it would save you the cost of having to buy a whole new carseat to use only for the length of your vacation and, more likely, just for a day or so until your luggage was located and sent to you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Yes, the harness is for kids older than 1 and 22 lbs, and with that, I think DS was a little small for it, meeting that criteria.

We looked into buying this car seat http://www.skjp.com/product/97556/195XX/_/RadianXTSL%26%23174%3B since it folded up for travel. Since I wasn't thrilled with the carseat stroller that GC posted. We didn't purchase this for our last trip, but might consider it for future car seat needs. But the sucker is heavy and I'm not sure I'd want to travel around carring it through airports.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Airlines are always really dumb with these strange and outdated rules.  We had a separate seat and carseat for our 8 month old son but they made me take him out of the seat for takeoff and landing and attach him with to me with this really stupid seatbelt contraption that didn't fit either one of us.  The minute we started to taxi, I quickly put him back in his carseat which is obviously a lot safer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

That does seem weird, Sarah!  Carseats are safe enough for driving in cars, but not safe enough for taking off in airplanes?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Aerlingus isn't exactly progressive.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

And you can't exactly argue with the stewardess, unless you are hoping to be wrestled to the ground by a couple of air marshalls.  They're awfully testy about that sort of thing, even if the Laws of Physics and common sense are both on your side. 

Funny post, as DH and I were juuuust talking about our family trip to FL this coming year and how we'll have to travel with the Bean.  My days of carry-on only are ovah. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I don't have a bean yet... but have been interested in how to cart your little ones around. a girlfriend of mine swears by diapers.com (or some similar service), which will send your "regular package" order of diapers, wipes, etc. to any destination. She always sends a package of stuff to the hotel or house where they are staying, with a "new toy" for the flight home. Has anyone else tried this? It seems like it would reduce the amount of stuff to carry... but not sure by how much.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

We traveled with a 6month old at Thanksgiving time and we used our umbrella stroller which I bagged and checked at the gate.  DD was in a convertible car seat at 6 months and we used this bag for the car seat.  It was really great because you could pull it on wheels or use it as a backpack.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2910024

If you are getting a rental car you can rent a carseat through most companies.  Also if you want to avoid the stroller one of my friends swears by traveling with her Baby Bjorn.

Winter - For travel I bring only enough diapers (formula at the time) for the 1st day of travel and then when I get to wherever we are going I go out and buy what we need.  We are also very lucky that we mainly travel to a family members house that has kids so we do not pack the PnP, and many toys.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

We flew to FL with DS and stayed at my parents condoat 15 mos .  We gate-checked the stroller (took a Graco that has snack tray and full recline, but folds up nicely... also didn't care if it got beat up unlike my BOB which my husband wanted haul down there... crazy!).  We got one of those carseat bags that has backpack straps and also wheels for dragging and gate checked that and used it in the rental car.  I did go the diapers.com route - luckily I had like a 15% off promo code.  I shipped down diapers, wipes, a few snack "staples," and I actually did ship a clearance bare bones p-n-p (we'll be down in FL often with several family members there and also plan on more kids, so we figure the P-n-P will get some extended use).  My mom happened to pick up a fisher price booster seat with tray a yard sale down there, so we had everything we could need.  It worked out great.  A friend is doing a similiar thing with her 4 mo old on an upcoming CA trip to her in laws - taking the infant carseat and snap n go on the plane with 1 days worth of diapers and she'll diaper.com out diapers, wipes, and a P-n-P.  She's debating whether she'll bring the carseat base or just belt install it.  I can't really give much advice on travelling with a smaller infant, but for a bigger infant or a toddler, I will say a stroller with at least some recline was a life saver for on-the-go naps - that way we didnt' have to hide away during prime vacation for DSs usual nap.  My umbrella stroller doesn't recline, and of course there's no snack tray or cupholders, which also were great to have on vacation, so I'm glad we took the slightly bulkier Graco b/c we the snack tray and cupholders were also lifesavers.    

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

SarahinActon - maybe because it was an international airline thay made you hold her? Because I've flown domestically, with a seat & carseat for my DD and I was told she had to be strapped in to her carseat for taxi/takeoff/landing.
    I know it is expensive, but I recommend that if you can afford it, it is much easier to buy a seat for a baby so that you can have the carseat with you during the flight.
    I would bag anything gate checked. Also, confirm with the gate agents where you should leave items to be gate checked. We gate checked our stroller so we would have it between connecting flights, but we left it at a sign for gate checked items on the jetway at the Houston airport, and they didn't load it on the plane, so we got to Boston and didn't have it. They delivered it to our house the next morning, but it was a royal pain gettting all of our stuff, including DD in her carseat through the airport, and home.

I also agree that you should travel with enough diapers for that day plus one (in case you miss a conection and have to stay over in a hotel -also happened to us - different trip, we get around alot, apparently) you can buy more when you reach your destination. Or if you are visiting family, have them buy some for you before you get there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from plksmcz. Show plksmcz's posts

I have a 6 year old DD and 2 year old twins. All have been flying back and forth from Boston to Florida since they were 3 months old. I agree with all of the above posts but also want to add that you, the baby and traveling companion should pack a change of clothes in your carry-on. It is a horrible feeling to have the baby get sick during the flight and have nothing to change into. 

Good luck with your flight!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from arugulacm. Show arugulacm's posts

The rules regarding seatbelts and allowing a car seat to be used on the plane are very different for domestic vs. international travel. 

domestic - no lap belt for infant (you can hold an unrestrainted child in your lap, but not a pillow???).  can use car seat on plane. 

international - must use lapbelt during take off and landing.  Not allowed to use car seat on plane.  But, they do have other options - for infants under ~20 lbs, there are travel cots - don't need to buy a seat for the infant to do this.   For older infants / toddlers - the airlines have their own toddler seat for use on the plane, with a 5 point harness.  (this is based on my experience w/travel to Europe - maybe different for other desitinations). 

Sections
Shortcuts