Angel Monitor

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WEDN07. Show WEDN07's posts

Angel Monitor

It really depends on how paranoid you are. If you think you won't sleep without it then buy it, but my DS was a micro-preemie and I didn't find it a necessary purchase. He is 10 months old now and out of the woods for the most part as far as SIDS is concerned. I think it is upwards of $200 and you could buy a video monitor for less for peace of mind.

On the Bump baby boards many of the preemie moms have them and the only time anyone has reported that it has gone off it was just a "false alarm" so I am actually skeptical of how accurate it is.

Like I said in the beginning though, it is all up to your comfort level.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

Angel Monitor

Has anyone used this and what do you think? I am about 12 weeks along, and my sister is on me to get my registry started (she is a 4-time mom and is psyched that it's someone else's turn for a change!)

I saw this monitor and thought it looked like a great idea, especially since I'm really paranoid about the breathing thing.

Any opinions would be great!

thanks

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Angel Monitor

We have one and love it. It works very well. We were originally worried that there would be a lot of false alarms if our daughter moved away from the sensor pad, but we only had a couple of those and have been using it for 9 months now. I was looking at it in the store one day and a woman walked by and said "buy that, it's worth every penny...it helped me sleep with each of my three kids". I'd agree with that, since it gives me piece of mind. Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

Angel Monitor

[Quote]It really depends on how paranoid you are. If you think you won't sleep without it then buy it, but my DS was a micro-preemie and I didn't find it a necessary purchase. He is 10 months old now and out of the woods for the most part as far as SIDS is concerned. I think it is upwards of $200 and you could buy a video monitor for less for peace of mind.

On the Bump baby boards many of the preemie moms have them and the only time anyone has reported that it has gone off it was just a "false alarm" so I am actually skeptical of how accurate it is.

Like I said in the beginning though, it is all up to your comfort level.[/Quote]

Well, that's the thing, I'm not 100% sure how paranoid I'll really be until the baby's actually here, lol. That's why I'm not so sure if I should even really put it on my registry when I finally do register? The one I saw was "only" $100...

I read some of the reviews and people did report false alarms, but it seemed like they we in the minority...I might just wait and buy it on my own if I find that I can't sleep comfortably through the night.

The logical portion of my brain tells me, my mom didn't use monitors and we're all alive and healthy individuals, but then the new mom part kicks in and messes everything up, lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

Angel Monitor

Thanks for your response! I just wanted to know if I was being a crazy, paranoid first time mom or not.

I mean, I have 6 nieces and nephews and they all survived without it, but I used to watch them sleep too and it always made me worried if they were breathing, nevermind my own little one. I don't think I will ever sleep without this thing!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WEDN07. Show WEDN07's posts

Angel Monitor

[Quote]

Well, that's the thing, I'm not 100% sure how paranoid I'll really be until the baby's actually here, lol. That's why I'm not so sure if I should even really put it on my registry when I finally do register? The one I saw was "only" $100...

I read some of the reviews and people did report false alarms, but it seemed like they we in the minority...I might just wait and buy it on my own if I find that I can't sleep comfortably through the night.

The logical portion of my brain tells me, my mom didn't use monitors and we're all alive and healthy individuals, but then the new mom part kicks in and messes everything up, lol[/Quote]

Well, if it makes you feel any better I didn't sleep at all when DS came home for the first month even WITH a monitor. He is a heavy breather and I could hear him over the monitor, but every time I woke up (which in those first months was every hour!) I would get out of bed and lean over him to see his chest rise, put my finger under his nose to feel his breath, etc. It's all over once they're here!

If I wake up in the middle of the night now I still go in to peek at him. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

Angel Monitor

[Quote]

Well, if it makes you feel any better I didn't sleep at all when DS came home for the first month even WITH a monitor. He is a heavy breather and I could hear him over the monitor, but every time I woke up (which in those first months was every hour!) I would get out of bed and lean over him to see his chest rise, put my finger under his nose to feel his breath, etc. It's all over once they're here!

If I wake up in the middle of the night now I still go in to peek at him. :)[/Quote]

Yeah, I can definitely see myself doing that :-) I think I'm just going to get a "regular" monitor, and then if I really start to freak I can always "upgrade" if I find it necessary

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from veggirl. Show veggirl's posts

Re: Angel Monitor

We have this monitor, and it does go off.  If you forget to turn it off and remove the child from the crib, which is pretty much the same as feeling no breathing.   

Personally I view this as so much better than a video monitor - it is checking that your LO is still breathing, even when you are asleep.   I have only had a couple false alarms, when my daughter has rolled all the way to the end of the bed, which was corrected by adjusting the sensitivity.    

I have a friend who lost a 3 month old to SIDS, so I consider this monitor a must have.