Any former New Yorkers out there? Moving there, need advice!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melsau2006. Show Melsau2006's posts

Any former New Yorkers out there? Moving there, need advice!

Hi everyone!
    Was wondering if there are any former New Yorkers out there who might be able to offer some advice.
    My husband has been offered a job in NYC. Since he's been unemployed for several months, we can't really say no to it!
    The salary will be much less than what we used to live on, and I can't imagine how we'll be able to support a family of six in the city.
    Our kids are 13, 11, 2, 1.
    Can anyone suggest someplace within a 1 hour public transit commute that we could look into?  We'll probably rent for a year until we get to know the area better.
    We're living in Exeter, NH now and really like the small town feeling!
    Thanks in advance for your help!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Re: Any former New Yorkers out there? Moving there, need advice!

I grew up in NY and my parents recently moved to Stratham, NH - so almost the reverse.  I also went to UNH and spend a lot of time up there so I know what you are used to. 
    I will say that you are not going to find a small town like Exeter in NY, but there are some really nice spots. 
    In general, the schools in Westchester County (which is about a 40-60 min train ride into NYC) are very good.  I would recommend looking into these towns for the schools, access to metro north and "smaller" town feel: Mamaroneck/Larchmont, Harrison, and Rye.  They all can be pricey - but there are a lot of other options.  There is a significant difference in the cost of living from NH to NY. 
    The other thing to consider is looking at NJ.  I am not familiar with that area, so can't speak to the schools or towns, but I do know that the commute is similar. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

It's not the most glamorous place and is often the punchline of lots of NYC jokes, but Staten Island is probably the most affordable borough. There are plenty of residential neighborhoods and you might get more bang for your buck there. There's a great waterfront park on the island and they even have their own minor league Yankees franchise. (My brother has been living there the past 15 years.) Transportation into the city is free (on the Ferry) and takes about 30 minutes on the boat. Being a part of NYC, you'd be dealing with NYC public schools, but there are plenty of private and parochial options as well. I have a good friend who grew up on SI and fondly recalls going into Manhattan for high school. He loved the adventure of it all.

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Two suggestions for you:

Croton on Hudson- This is a really small town feel kind of place. My relatives moved there after asking the train conductors about a nice place to commute from.  It's a beautiful area.

Long Beach- This is a larger town, but as you might guess from the name, is a beach town which is a great feature. You can commute to the city by train in about an hour. 

I also hear good things about Queens, but I don't know much in the way of specifics.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I've been here in MA for 11 years, but I grew up in Brooklyn, NY 0-18 yrs.  My parents are still in Brooklyn.  Honestly, I hate it now that I'm used to MA and could never move back.  It is so dirty and people are so angry and rude.  OMG, the drivers!  Horrible! 

I'd also be very nervous if DH is getting a lower salary in NYC.  It is soooooooooo expensive there!  Car insurance is through the roof (I think my parents pay something like $3000/yr on their civic!  no accidents or tickets), you have state AND city income tax, and even mortgages have a premium.  Even looking on the island or CT, the property taxes are a nightmare.  So, really look into the costs before making your decision is my warning!

PS - I am a product of the NYC public schools.  They aren't the greatest, but as long as your kids are focused they can get through ok.  I went to a top 25 university and feel that i'm reasonably successful in my career.  I'm sure they are no where near as good as nice small town schools in MA/NH and I am relieved that my DD will be schooled up here!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melsau2006. Show Melsau2006's posts

Thank you all so much for your advice!

Bostonslp - too funny that we're doing the reverse!  I've heard lots of good things about Westchester. I will defintely look into it!

Kiwigal - SI sounds like an adventure! I love the idea of the free ferry and only a 30 minute commute!

Micromom - looked up Croton on Hudson. Looks absoultely picturesque! 

Trouble - I didn't realize that you have to pay state AND city tax! YIKES! We will defintely have to do a little more research before we make a move.

I have to admit that I was feeling a little overwhelmed, but now that I have some places to look into, I feel better! Thanks again. Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts