Baby Shower Idea - Tacky?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dela12. Show dela12's posts

Ah...the subjectivity ot "tacky."� Reminds me of the wedding boards� :-)

I just went to a shower where there was a diaper raffle.� I thought it was cute.� I spent $80+ on the� gift for the mom to be and opted not to buy a pack of diapers.� Remember, it is optional.�� Some people may feel weird not walking in with a gift and a pack of diapers, but that is their fault - not the host!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i would feel put out as well. if i am invited to a baby shower, a gift is implied...but to do a "raffle" on top of it??

however, is the person you're throwing the shower pregnant for the 1st time? I think i would go for something along the lines of "sometimes when a mom is new, she forgets a thing or two" and have guest bring something along the lines of wipes, diapers, mittens to cover the babys hands, etc...and place them in a diaper pail or basket to give to the new mom to be at the end of gift opening..

is also the 1st person to admit i'm not a big fan of baby showers..has seen too many times where a baby shower is held just to have something happen to the pregnancy shortly afterwards...would rather see a "healthy baby has arrived shower" after the baby has arrived...the majority of the time the new baby gets to come and everyone gets to lavish it w/attention..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

sorry, your instinct is correct. it is tacky.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

To the OP, even though your heart is in the right place, the guests will already be bring a gift to the shower, so to ask them to bring something else is not right.

To ryans_mom, I'd have used the necklaces to hang myself if I was at that shower!!! Just give me a drink! ha ha

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

if i got an invite stating there was going to be a "raffle" at a baby shower, i'd be opening a can of "whoop a$$".� i choose gifts based on what I can afford and what the person needs.� to have that feeling i'd "have to"� participate would make me angry.not everyone would like a wine & cheese gift basket.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

I am not sure I am comfortable with this idea but you or someone knows the guests. Diapers and wipes aren't cheap. It is nice that you want to stock up for the mom to be but on top of a gift it is a lot of money in my eyes. I would be more apt to bring a small toy or a book for the raffle than a package of diapers or wipes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

You know Cosmo I was skeptical myself. However, it was a lot of fun watching my aunts try and trick each other into saying baby. They were rather cut throat about it! I imagine that the experience would be enchanced after a cosmo or 2. :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Actually, I went to a shower and there were 3 or so really nice gift baskets that were prizes for games. I don't think there were favors. (this girl also had gift baskets as the center peices at her bridal showe too). It was cool to win one! I won the word scramble. Another was guess how many jelly beans are in the baby bottle. Then they had people wear a baby toy, socks or something around their neck and any time you heard someone say "baby" you got to take their necklace. The person with the most at the end won. I also saw this done with string and tiny plastic baby bottles for a less expensive option. It is amazing how competitive some people get! You could still do your basket and use it as a prize if you wanted.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i think there are better ways to handle that "need" than to have a "raffle".�� diapers and wipes arent the only "need" of a new mom.� hence, my idea of filling up a diaper pail or basket w/small baby type items like binkys, mittens, etc.�to cover the hands of the baby, etc and give them to the new mom at the�end of gift opening in a previous post of mine.� the key being is to ask in a way that dosen't make the new mom appear�"needy" or "greedy", and not to make guests feel like they "have to contribute"�in addition to a regular baby gift.� In some social circles, it would be considered a "faux pas" to "ask�for� help"...some people would question why she was having a child if she was "in need".� i'm also thinking of some guests who may be recovering alcoholics or diabetics�and may not be into�a "wine & cheese" gift basket.��

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ok, I am with laryann on this one.
    You are invited to a shower and� you bring a gift - that should beit. To ask for "extras" is just not right. Instead of buying for andmaking a basket for the raffle - give the money to the new mother inform of a gift card or such.� Personally, I would much rather givemy dollars to such. I just cannot imagine myself buying and wrapping upa gift - including a card -- and then have to buy a pack of diapers asan entrance fee. Baby stuff is expensive enough as is. As cute as itsounds - I don't like the idea.

Sections
Shortcuts