Baby Shower???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ES57. Show ES57's posts

Baby Shower???

Hello,

I just got an invitation to attend a baby shower and wonder what I should do. attend or not?
    Here is a snapshots of events. My husband and futur father to be were really good friends growing up (basically until they got married). I had a bridal shower years ago the futur mother didn't attend, we got our baby and just got a congrats card (I didn't grow up with the whole shower culture). I didn't see these people for almost 2 years!
    in my shoes what will you do?
    Thanks a lot for your input!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Baby Shower???

I don't see what the problem is here.  If you want to attend and take the mother-to-be a gift, then go.  If you don't want to, then decline.

My best friend had a baby shower for me two weeks ago.  I'd say about 60% of the people invited attended.  One person who didn't attend sent along a present anyway.  The rest didn't.  I'm perfectly happy with that.  I have no idea why they didn't come - some where busy, some probably didn't want to buy me anything.  It's not a big deal - really.  I was just happy to celebrate with those who did show up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ES57. Show ES57's posts

Thanks! I am from a country where baby showers don't exist and I always think if I am invited to showers to people I barely know I always think they are more after my gift then my presence

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

If you think that they are more after a gift than your presence then you should definitely decline.
    A shower invitation is just that, an invitation to attend an event. They aren't a bill for a present or gift card.  Like all invitations you are free to decline or attend as you wish. 
    Seems like the best thing to do is send a congratulatory card when the baby is born - just as the expectant parents did when you had your baby.
    :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just because you are from a culture that doesn't have showers, I wouldn't assume that every shower invitation is a gift-grabby thing in which they couldn't care less if you attended.  In this country, showers are for the people to come and celebrate the impending birth of a baby and gifts are customary.  If you are invited to a shower, your presence is as important as anything else.  If they didn't want you there, you wouldn't be invited simply for your gift.