Best Gifts for Soon-to-be Mom

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amarie978. Show Amarie978's posts

Best Gifts for Soon-to-be Mom

Hi

A coworker is expecting and of course, our office would like to celebrate with a "minishower" for her. Most likely, we'll be contributing to a gift for her, however, we're not sure what to get her that would be most useful.

She's already had a shower with family/friends so we're sure she's not hurting for anything off a registry. We're thinking of getting her something more for her and not the baby, maybe something that could help while she's home on maternity leave.

For all you moms out there, were there any unique gifts you got that were a godsend during your maternity leave? Anything you wish you had?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Re: Best Gifts for Soon-to-be Mom

I think gift cards to local restaurants with take out would be great.  I received two, one to the 99 and one to Chili's it was really a great gift!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I can't give an answer for what a mom to be would really want since I am not one yet. I know from my wedding that there were still things left after my shower, things that I really wanted!  Have you checked the registry?  Just a thought, because you KNOW she wants these items, instead of getting something she may not use.  Just a thought!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

FOOD. Seriously. If you can arrange to send over a bunch of frozen casseroles or have a few meals delivered to the house after the baby arrives, that food will be SO appreciated. Our realtor dropped by a whole roasted chicken and tubs of vegetables the first day we got home with DS. I still think of that as one of the best presents ever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Food or maid service would have been heaven in those first few weeks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

I second (or third) the suggestion of food.  I recently got an invitation to a "fill the freezer" shower for a friend who is expecting her third child.  It included a card for you to attach to your meal with what it is and the heating instructions.  You could do a dream dinners thing where you all go and make the meals for the coworker or people from the office could bring ready to freeze meals that they prepared.  I honestly think this is better than a gift certificate.  Everything is there in your home.  You don't have to call and place an order or go get it.  We even got store bought frozen meals which was fine.  The idea of not having to think about what you are eating when you are exhausted is a blessing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

I second the posters who say to send food.  Someone got us a sizeable gift card to Roche Bros so that I could have groceries delivered.  That totally rocked!  Stop and Shop also has delivery (peapod).

There will always be things either off her registry or for things she didn't register for.  We didn't put some of our big ticket items on our registry because we didn't want our parents to feel obligated.  My work gave us a super generous AmEx GC and we used it to buy our jogger which was something I thought we would be waiting to buy off CL or till a sale came around.

Also diapers.com and amazon.com giftcards (amazon just started Amazon Mom and I use it all the time).  You can order diapers, wipes etc and they will ship right to your house.  No running out for last minute baby things! :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

If you want to get something just for her then go with a gc to her spa/salon! Every new mom deserves a little pampering and even if she doesn't use it until 6 - 12 months after it will be appreciated.

But food is definitely a Wonderful option. Just keep in mind her freezer. I couldn't fit anything in my freezer, (side by side) so we just cooked everything we got and had plenty of food!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Food, food, food.
    If, however, you decide to go with frozen or ready to eat meals rather than a gift certificate to get food delivered, I think it is best to check with the person.  We don't have a lot of room in our refrigerator or freezer, and I really appreciated it when people asked before bringing over something that needed to go in the fridge or freezer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Something to read or watch is great.  With a baby you spend a lot of time at home, needing to be there but not having anything in particular you need to do at the moment, an odd half hour or hour here and there, sometimes in the middle of the night when the spouse is asleep.  If she's got a favorite TV series get a DVD set, or a couple of movies she's always wanted to get around to watching, books she's been meaning to read, magazine or journal subscriptions for something intellectual and NOT about parenting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I received four visits from a cleaning service as one of my shower gifts and I am psyched for it!  Planning to have the first visit while I'm in the hospital, and spread them out over the next couple of months. 

Also, love the idea of the GC for Peapod or Roche Bros delivery, more than gifts of actual food.  I'm a sort of picky eater, so I'd love to be able to pick the groceries and foods I would eat and have them delivered, much more than lasagna in the freezer (plus I've already made my own lasagna and other foods to freeze!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Oh, one other thought...if you know the hair salon she goes to, a GC to get a haircut (and color, if she does that), would probably be very welcome...a short outing and something she'd proabbly want to do for herself, especially if she's planning to go back to work. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

At my very small office shower for my first baby (many years ago), I received baby-sitting vouchers from my co-workers. One from each of them. Nicely tucked inside a beautiful card. That was one of the best gifts, I ever received. Cost them nothing, except for their time.
    My baby was not a good sleeper, so from one of the "night duty people" I used the voucher to just get several hours of good sleep during one day. One single guy send his mother, she was such a doll. I kept using her - with pay of course - for several years afterwards.
    Just to be able to go grocery shopping w/o worrying about baby, was such a relief, and of course, DH and I also went out for a couple of dinners. -  Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

I got a gift card for a spa which was awesome - I got a maternity massage a month before my son was due.  My parent's also paid for 3 months of a cleaning service which was great and we are still using them to this day.  I think either of these or food is the best option.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I will chime in with food.  You could coordinate a home-cooked meal "delivery" with your office - that would avoid the freezer-space issue and lets your colleague know she's not forgotten after the first crush.  

If I could wave a magic wand and conjure up The Ultimate Gift, a group of friends/family would have set up a weekly delivery of some grocery basics and a home-cooked meal or two to eat off of all week.  Ideally, that would last 4-6 weeks.  

also lovely: cleaning service; pre-natal massage.  

Sections
Shortcuts