Birth Control??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

Birth Control??

I think there has been a thread about this before, but I couldn't find it.  I'm looking for advice about birth control methods (I'm 5wks postpartum so want to do my research before my 6wk checkup) - I am breastfeeding and we do plan to be pregnant again in a couple of years....  but after 2yrs of fertility issues, I am ready to just not think about my cycle at all for a while.  I'd rather not have to think about using the barrier methods either, although they are probably safest in terms of side effects....  so my other options are minipill or IUD I think?  I'm leaning towards an IUD b/c I've heard the minipill needs to be taken at exactly the same time every day and I don't think I'm organized enough for that.  but I'm wondering about side effects of an IUD (hormone or not) because I also don't want to have to deal with well, any at all.  I've had enough ultrasounds, hospital and dr visits to feel I deserve a couple years off.  I'm going for easy, reversible, and safe - more than 'effective' at this time.  just wondering what has worked for others in between pregnancies.  thanks!

edit:  I should add that my 'fertility issues' were miscarriages, so I was actually pregnant 5 times in about 18mos (5th time's the charm :)....  so I do need to use something now!  and after a couple d&c's and stuff, I'm just wondering if an IUD is too invasive I guess...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Re: Birth Control??

I did the mini pill - DH and I had a really good night time routine and I went to bed at the same time almost every single night and took the pill then.  Not sure how long you plan on BF'ng I pumped for 3 months - I thought that I was supposed to stay on the Mini pill until I got 1st period that was not the case though.  I was supposed to call and get a new pill once I stopped BF'ng so at one point I guess there was a higher risk or getting pregnant. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I THINK, but I'm not entirely sure (so definitely discuss with your OB) that the IUDs on the market today all have a hormonal component to them.  When I discussed bc w/my OB (after being told "we don't do that here, it's bad for business"), he said the minipill is the only option when nursing, pumping, etc.

Once you're done with BF'ing (in any form), you do need to go on something else right away b/c the minipill by itself isn't very effective (I THINK the limited protection that comes from BF'ing makes up for the minipill's shortfalls).

I'm considering an IUD when I'm done with pumping but need to discuss w/my OB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I took the minipill for a year - I was BFing for that entire time, although after about 7 months DD was eating regular food as well, so I cut down gradually. I just switched back to the regular pill. The minipill is about as effective as condoms, while the regular pill is a few percent higher (Assuming all the used properly blah-blah-blah). for me, at least, the reduced frequency of BD'ing also probably contributes to the effectivenes :-)
    I think that talking with your doctor is a good start, there might be other options, but it seems to me that BFing limits the options.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I am remembering the same as the others--that IUDs have a hormonal component and are a no-go with BF.

We are going the condom route (combined with absolute exhaustion :)). I felt SO good going off the pill that I am loathe to do anymore homornal types of BC. But, we'll see what happens if/when we have a second baby and need to be absolutely careful.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

I'm glad someone posted about this because I'm in the midst of this dilemma, too, and would love to hear what others have done.  Like you kiwi, it felt SO good when I went off the pill to get PG in the first place, I really, really don't want to go back on it.  I had an appointment scheduled to have an IUD put in (Mirena) but reading about the side effects scared the hell out of me (ectopic pregnancy, lots of spotting between periods, horrible cramps when inserted, etc) so I cancelled the appointment.  Sheer exhaustion (and DS being in a co-sleeper next to our bed) has been our main form of birth control so far, but clearly that ain't going to cut it long term.  :)  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

There are two forms of IUD - the Mirena which contains hormones and the Paraguard which does not.  That being said, I opted for the mini-pill for several reasons:  1) my doctor did not recommend the IUD if I was considering pregnancy within the next 1-3 years (he recommends it as a longer term solution), 2) I didn't like the idea of the IUD since I had also had a miscarriage with a D&C followed by cervical scarring so I don't want to mess around with putting anything in there and 3) I was still breastfeeding so the regular pill wasn't an option.

I'm starting to get nervous now that I'm dropping down the number of nursing sessions per day. Now that my son is almost one, we only nurse once in the morning and once before bed and I've stopped pumping at work.  I talked to the gyno nurse today about switching to the regular pill and she said they don't recommend doing that until I've completely weaned DS. I stil haven't got my preiod back and I live in fear of being one of those women on "I didn't know I was Pregnant".  I'm guessing the general lack of bedroom activity may be playing a greater role in contraception than either BFing or the mini-pill.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Just a little post-partum humor...When I had my six-week OB appointment and she asked about birth control, I blurted out, "What? Isn't the the crying baby who wakes up every two hours birth control enough?!" :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

At the risk of TMI...we have to walk through the babies' room to get to our room (in the future, we'll convert it to an office), so although they aren't in the same room, they're close.  On the rare occasion that we aren't too tired, it seems like anytime we start anything, one or both of the kids starts making all kinds of noises in their sleep.  Talk about a mood-killer!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

I've had the Mirena IUD since November. Spotting is an understatement in my case. I'm thinking that it just makes you bleed constantly which makes you feel gross and not want to have sex ever. 100% effective in that regard. My midwife told me that if you can get through the first six months, from then on you have little to no periods until you have it removed.
    ETA

The insertion took 30 seconds and was painless. No cramps or anything after that just the annoying light, but incessant bleeding.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Notanewbie - I was on the minipill until I completely stopped nursing DD at 15 months. Even though the last few months were just once a day, I didn't get pregnant. Also, my period returned sometime around 10.5 - 11 months, so there was a little bit of worry on my part until it returned. I would just try and be consistent (I was mostly consistent, with a few times of missing a pill, then taking it the next morning, so I would say I wasn't 100%)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

I was on the mini-pill for a year after #1 while breastfeeding.  I got my period after abotu 10 months, but stayed on it until I was done BF, even though at the end it was only once a day.  I then went on the regular pill for 6 months, went off the pill and ghot pregnant 2 months later.  I always took the mini pill in the morning, but not at exactly the same time every day and was fine.  I too have had a MC and D&C, so I liked the pill option. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Someone with a history of miscarriages, and who has had D + C's, should not get an IUD.  Period.

Think about the mini-pill, with sponges as a backup.

If you do not want any hormonal method until after BF, have you ever tried a diaphragm?  They can be inserted a couple of hours in advance, less annoying than condoms in that way.   Properly fit, they are effective and no long term effects, at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

A word of warning about diaphragms...3 words, actually:  URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS!

I had never had a UTI in my life, and then I decided to try a diaphragm.  No one told me that you HAVE TO get up and pee immediately after s*x (cuddling is not allowed until after peeing) if you're using one and to pee as frequently as possible until you remove it (hours later).  At any rate, during the time that I was using it (less than 6 months), I had several and I have had about one a year since I stopped using it.  The UTIs were the reason I stopped using it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

What's wrong w/ a regular pill?  My GYN put me on one when I was having trouble conceiving [and then having spotting issues midcycle] so that my cycle could regulate itself.  I was on for 2 cycles and then stopped. I got pg 2 w/in 2 cycles after I stopped taking it.  The amount of hormones in current BCP is not what it used to be. Your cycle should return to normal w/in 1 cycle after stopping.  Now if you are concerned about taking it for other reasons [ie, breastfeeding] then that's another matter, but a regular BCP should not negatively impact your fertility in the long run. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

You cannot take the regular pill and BF at the same time.

When I stop BF, I still don't want to go back on the pill. It's not a matter of being able to conceive or affecting fertility. I just didn't like how I felt on the pill--mood swings, lack of sex drive, bloating, headaches, etc. Also, having been through pregnancy and birth, I am just leery of hormonal interventions in general. I am trying as hard as I can to be "natural" and not pump anything into my body unnecessarily.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Breastfeeding would be the main reason to avoid hormonal contraception (with the exception of the mini-pill).  The main reason is that the estrogen in the regular pill will cause your milk supply to dry up.  Some people also worry about the transfer of hormones to their milk supply, especially if you have a boy.  I don't know if that's a valid concern or not, but it is a reason some prefer to avoid hormones.

The mini-pill does not contain estrogen; it is a progesterone-only birth control pill.

Thanks amy-lynn and smileyd for helping to put my mind at ease about continuing with the mini-pill even when I'm nursing a lot less.  Still wondering if I'll ever get my period back though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from missJB. Show missJB's posts

I'm with you kiwigal

Having been on the pill for 10 years it felt great to go off to TTC.  After having DD I had no desire to use any hormonal forms of BC.  Even though I was exclusively nursing, DH and I just decided to use condoms.  Not as good for him but doesn't bother me any.  It was a good thing because I got my first period when DD was 4 months old so I could have been facing Irish twins had we not used protection.  I am currently PG with baby #2 and still have no plans to ever go back on hormones.  It is certainly a personal choice but I just feel so much better knowing I don't have to add any store bought hormones into my body. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Also at the risk of TMI, my personal reason for not wanting to go back on the pill is absolutely sex drive.  Mine spiked WAY up when I went off it (much to the delight of DH) so I just have no interest in going back on it.  Mine is already somewhat low-ish right now, thanks to baby exhaustion, so I feel like if I go back on the pill, it will be zilch.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Notanewbie--my kids are 9 months tomorrow and I still haven't had a period either.  I am on the minipill and am slowly tapering the number of times I pump/day (I don't nurse them directly).  I also have PCOS, so I hardly ever get my period anyway, but that's another story.  I hate the idea of paying for birth control and dealing with the side effects for something that I really probably only need a couple times a year, since I hardly ever ovulate on my own anyway (while TTC, and under the care of an RE, I charted for 8 or 9 months and the only time I ovulated was the 3 months I was on clomid despite taking provera several times to "reset" my cycle).  I hate barrier methods.  I just do and given the above, in the moment, would be more-inclined to play conception roulette than bother with them.  We don't want more kids, though, so that's not a good risk to take!  And of course, for the TCOYF method to work, there needs to be a certain level of reliability of what happens with my cycle--and there is none.  DH will probably get snipped eventually, but we're just not ready for the finality of that yet.  Sigh....There just aren't any options that I like right now.  I'll have to choose one soon, though!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Notanewbie-  DD was exclusively BF (I BF at home and pumped for her bottles at daycare).  While I wasn't on the mini-pill (we just use condoms --DH doesn't really mind it, it was less of a pain than trying to remember to take a pill and I couldnt get an IUD because I have a history of ectopic), my period did not return until 1.5 months after I stopped pumping, when DD was 14.5 months old.  It was a bit irregular for about 3 months and then returned to normal.  So for some people, it can take a while to return.  I think I was just heavily affected by the BFing hormones....DD just weaned last week (at 22 months) and I have been feeling a bit of depression and anxiety, as well as some mood swings, which I know are hormone related since it is the same feeling I used to have with PMS except more pronounced and longer lasting.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks for this discussion - although I am still pregnant it's nice to know what the options are for after the LO arrives.  Like Kiwi and Kaydo I also felt a billion times better after coming off the pill prior to getting pregnant.  I am convinced BCPs me b*tchier.  Also, I would probably want to start on #2 one year after #1 is born.  Since it will be a short time, sounds like condoms would be the best choice.  DH won't be too happy though.  So maybe I'll try the FAM method in TCOYF.  Again, thanks for the info all!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Just want to throw in a word of support for diaphragms -- never had a UTI from using them. I was on the pill for years and didn't want to go back on so I did that btw kids. It's not as, er, spontaneous as some of the other methods but it does the trick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

thanks for all the insights...  the more I think about it, the less comfortable I am with an IUD, given my history.  of course, I will discuss it all with my midwife at my appt, and maybe it wouldn't even be an option...  so I am glad to have some questions and things to think about before I go.  like others said, I am also not thrilled with the idea of taking hormones b/c I am BF....  but maybe the minipill is right for me.  I actually liked being on the pill prior to going off it.  I felt I was alot more even-keeled in general and that when I went off it, I was crazy!  and if my plan is to use condoms, we might as well plan to use nothing.  we both don't like them and even with good intentions it just doesn't happen.  'roulette' as Daisy called it, is how we got pregnant the first time, a few months earlier than planned.  and I didn't know that about diaphragms, but I already have an issue with UTIs, unfortunately.  I do jump up to pee immediately and still end up with about one a year.  I think I have narrowed down my options to just the minipill after all!  I'm going to ask about safety of my breastmilk for the LO, but I am drawn to the idea of not having to think about birth control in the moment.  just like the good old days :)  2yrs of ttc and a newborn in our bedroom has taken its toll.  I don't even want to know how long a box of condoms would last us, lol.  thanks everyone for all the responses, I feel better prepared with questions for my appt next week.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDomer07. Show BostonDomer07's posts

Hi Lesal,

I just wanted to weigh in since there's another option that doesn't get too much press these days but can be effective if used correctly - there are several "natural" ways of preventing pregnancy (not the calendar method but mostly involve charting your body's signs of fertility) that don't have the side effects of OC's and IUD's and nor interfere w/ future fertility issues or breastfeeding.

It may not be what you end up choosing, but I just wanted to let you know it's out there as an option for some women. If you learn from an educated med professional (btw I'm in medicine, a 2nd year female med student) it can be a great option that many OB's don't know much about. If you're interested at all, google Creighton method - in my opinion it's the most researched and scientifically sound. Or google fertilitycare centers to find an instructor...

PS Congrats on your new baby!

Sections
Shortcuts