Birth Control

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Birth Control

DH and I are done having kids.   I was wondering what everyone does for birth control since there are so many options out there.

Prior to having kids and after #1 was born I was on the pill.  Worked perfect, never any issues.  Since #2 arrived and we are done I was debating on using the mirena?  My OB doc uses it and swears by it.  Any pros and cons to this?

DH and I have decided not to permently get fixed, we are only in early 30's and done want to rule out 100% we are done, but for now, our family of 4 is perfect. 

Just looking for the different methods people are using and pros and cons of each of them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Re: Birth Control

Hi Quad - I use Mirena and I like it so far.  It wasn't bad to have it put in, and just a little cramping after.  I got it put in early August and I have only had spotting since then.  I was going to go the Essure route but decided against it for a couple reasons.  Before having babies I got really really bad cramps so I was nervous about not being on any type of birth control to help with cramps.  I was also nervous with Essure because its metal and worried about a reaction and then needing surgery.

Pros: you don't need to remember taking a pill, light periods/no cramps, you can have Mirena taken out and a new one put in the same day, and this is far off but it is supposed to help with the effects of menopause.

Cons: Light periods - I sometimes worry that I am pregnant

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I used Mirena with NO side effects (unlike with ortho tricyclin which killed my libido and made me hungry all the time).  Loved it as far as BC went.  (I took the generic, Kariva (sp?).)

ETA:  I tried a method I wouldn't recommend at ALL.  The diaphragm.  When I was taking ortho tricyclen it was wreaking havoc with me so I tried to go chemical free.  Um, nightmare.  Putting it in and, even worse, taking it out was like an X-rated comedy - if there were such a thing - except it wasn't funny to me, the one on the bathroom floor working in a feverish panic to get the dammed thing out wondering if a trip to the ER might end up happening.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Oh, Kar, that is awful - and funny/not funny all at once. I've heard similar stories about the diaphragm....

I went with the non-hormonal IUD (gah, it's been awhile and I can't remember the name) after the birth of baby #4.  Worked well for the purpose of not getting pregnant, but I did have a lot of issues with spotting, and other, um, stuff in that region, that led me to have it taken out after a couple of years. (Other than that, no side effects or issues.) By then, DH and I were certain we were done, and he had THE procedure. Smooth sailing since. So to speak.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

I got pregnant using the diaphragm. I guess it's effective, but not foolproofIt has to be sized correctly, and as Kargiver said a bit awkward and messy. Just my 2 cents. All the best quadgirl1234.bg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Jen. SmileEmbarassed

If we were sure we didn't want more than 2 kids and had them we'd go for permanent (although, since DH is Catholic this is all hypothetical).  Nothing is completely side effect free or pregnancy proof.  I was a ditz when it came to remembering the pill (first husband), and any of those few hour to day misses could have been a disaster.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Speaking of which, and not to get all TMI, but as far as foolproof goes, well, 3/4 of my kids are evidence to support the claim that no one method, other than abstinence, is 100% effective. Blessings, they are. Expected? Um, happy and startling surprises.  

Hence, The Procedure.

Just sayin'.

Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Hi Quad!  Glad to see you're back too :) 

I discussed the IUD with my OB at my 6 week not knowing if hormones were involved.  I so don't want to go back to the pill, but since we might go for a #3 sooner than leter he didn't recommend it.  He also said that he has seen a decent number of patients with ectopic pregnancies due to the IUD, and seemed really negative about it.  I was very surprised.

He convinced me to go on the mini-pill since I am breastfeeding.  I started yesterday, but I'm deathly afraid it will affect my milk supply.  I'm wondering if any of the mini-pill users on this board experienced a problem?  It looks like it is rare from what I have read.

TIA!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

trouble, I did fine with respect to breastmilk... but later had some issues with the pill itself. I had some ongoing hair loss and fatigue- also some thyroid issues (which were also being treated)- but my doc took me off because I guess it can contribute to those issues for some people.  I however think that i am special, because I don't know anyone else that had the same issues I did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Let me just say that I'm in my 40's and my chances of getting pregnant are about a million to one.  That being said, I do have the Mirena - I certainly didn't want an "oops" to happen - especially since at my age the chances of chromosome problems are so high.
    I love the Mirena - hardly any discomfort with the insertion, light (or no) periods and no monthly cramps.
    Good luck with your choice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I have the paraguard, the non-hormonal IUD (copper).  I'm still nursing though so I can't comment on the period aspect of it where they say that you might have heavier periods.  I'm happy with it so far!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from missJB. Show missJB's posts

I'm in the exact same boat as you.  I have 2 kids and about 99% positive I don't want any more children. 

My MIL is a gynecologist and she urged me to get the Mirena because she thought I was the perfect candidate for the reasons I mentioned above.  She advised against the Paraguard (copper IUD) because it can cause heavier periods and more cramping.  I have been on the Mirena for 6 months and so fas so good.  No cramps and no bleeding.  I stopped getting my period after only 3 months on the IUD so at first I was worried I was pregnant but I guess it is quite common to lose your period even that soon after starting.  I wouldn't mind a light period though just so I can be sure I'm not pregnant but I do usually use back-up when I'm in my "window."

I would recommend the Mirena.  If it is not working out for you, you can always have it removed.  It's good for 5 years so if it does work out, that's 5 years that you don't have to think about it and by the end you will most likely be ready for permanent methods of BC.

Good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

Trouble - I did fine on the mini-pill with BM production and it seemed fine while I hadn't had a real cycle back yet. I was pretty concerned once I got a full period again that the mini-pill was not going to give me the protection I needed. My OB agreed and had me switch back to the same pills I was on pre-pregnancy. The full pills KILLED my BM supply. I was also at that point back at work and having a hard time keeping up with pumping regularly during the day, so that didn't help either. DS was a poor latcher, so I pumped the whole time, no breastfeeding.

I have lots of friends who love Mirena and swear by it now. I haven't tried it myself, though. HTH

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

I loved my Mirena and recommend it to all my girlfriends. In fact, there is new literature that it is beneficial for non-moms to get the IUD as well. Right now its mostly recommended for women who have at least one child ( think it has to do with the cervix).

I had the mirena for 2.5 years between my 1st child and this pregnancy.  No issues putting it in (there usually aren't), my period nearly disappeared (it is typical of the iud after so-many months to make periods very light) and I felt like I was not out of balance hormonally.  It is 99% effective, similar to sterilization.  I had it taken out and was pregnant 2 weeks later after 1 try.  I did have some bleeding (clots and such for 12 days straight) after removal which they do not say in the literature but I found to be normal after some google searches.  As soon as that bleeding stopped I took some ovulations tests and I'm now 18 weeks pregnant. 

I'll get the mirena again after this kiddo is done with the uterus ;)

Oh, I also breastfed with it in, as it is compatible!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

just be aware that a visectomy isn't a guarantee.  My baby sister is proof. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Is the Mirena hormonal at all?  There is a very good chance that after we TTC #2, my DH will get snipped.  But, just in case, I absolutely do not want to go back on any pill.  The regular pill gave me brutal migraines during AF.  The complete drop in estrogen would run havock on my head.  And the mini pill, which I was on from Nov 2010 to July 2011 still allowed my AF to occur (something the doctor was stumped about) but I never got PG.  And without knowing for sure, I think I was still O'ing (EWCM) and still never got PG.  So I think its fairly safe against PG if you absolutely take it within the same 4 hours every single day.  No doubling up like the regular pill if you miss a day.

What about those shots?  Do they still do those, and anyone know what they are?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

IPW, I believe the Mirena is. That's why I went with the other one (paraguard?), because I didn't want the hormones.

Good reminder, Lissafro!  I still get anxious every month waiting for AF...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I'm so glad to hear all of you that are happy with the Mirena.  I am scheduled to get it tomorrow and was thinking of chickening out and canceling (again!).  I need it more for heavy bleeding, as my iron is super-low.  Hopefully I will have the same result as most of you!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go with the Mirena.  Doctor told me that my periods would be light or non existent.  I checked with my health insurance and I have to pay 180 for it but if I do the math for the pill it is worth it.    Glad doc told me to check if insurance covered it because some dont.  Ill let you know how it goes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Personally,  I will really encouraged my husband to get a vasectomy.  That being said, even when my egg and his sperm meet directly, one on one nothing happens so I am probably quite safe!    If vasectomy is a no-go, I would probably do the IUD personally.

I am done with putting hormones in my body.  His turn. :)

IPW - shots are depo and very effective but about 70% of women gain weight on them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My apologies, I did NOT use the Mireva, I used the mini BC pill, Mircette, which, generically, is Kariva.  Sorry for my mixup...the "Mir..." threw me off.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

So Mirena does have hormones, to answer previous questions.  It is a low dose hormone that is directly into the uterus, so the systemic effects are minimal.  You can have mirena in for up to 5 years.  Not to be gross, but when she removed mine after almost 3 years it literally looked the same as the day it went in... it was kinda bizarre.  Oh, a couple times my husband felt the threads during intimate times, and a few girlfriends have had a similar experience.  Its usually just at first (because the threads are firmer at that point) and if it becomes a problem they can snip them shorter for you.  It never happened again after the beginning period.

The shots you are talking about are probably the Depo Provera shots.  There are certainly more side effects to those, and I don't know how popular they are.  None of my girlfriends had used them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was always afraid to try the Depo Provera shots because if you do get unpleasant side effects you're stuck with them for a long time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

In Response to Re: Birth Control:
    [QUOTE]My apologies, I did NOT use the  Mireva , I used the mini BC pill, Mircette , which, generically, is Kariva.  Sorry for my mixup...the "Mir..." threw me off.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Crap, Mircettle/Kariva is a mini-pill? That's what I was on since age 19, never knew it was the mini pill, wonder why they would have put me on that? Thank goodness I was really good with taking it on time, to think of what could have happened in those college years, eek

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BsB, the mini pill is just as effective as the higher hormone pills if taken correctly.  They give the mini pills because there are fewer side effects (like weight gain and low libido).

The only difference is that you only have 4 hours after your regular time to take it before they consider you having missed a pill instead of 12 hours for the regular pill.  You have to take the mini pill at the exact same time every single day for it to be as effective as the regular one so, yeah, good thing you were really good about it!! 

Sections
Shortcuts