Birthday Party Ideas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from katenjake. Show katenjake's posts

Birthday Party Ideas

Any good ideas for a school birthday party for 7 year old?  He wants to go to LaserQuest, but I am afraid it may be too scary for some of his friends.  I'd like to do something fun but not ridiculously expensive.  What do you all think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Birthday Party Ideas

What's a "school" birthday party?  Is it just for his friends or the whole 2nd grade?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from katenjake. Show katenjake's posts

It will be a party with all of the boys in his class (12 in all).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe you've dismissed LaserQuest prematurely (unless it's cost prohibitive, anyway - I have no idea how much it is).  If you have a rapport with the 12 sets of parents maybe you could call and see if LQ is suitable, after all, if it being "too mature" for some of his friends is the only deterrent.

A trip to the zoo might be fun - is Southwick close to you?  12 seems like a manageable number especially since probably only 9 or 10 will accept if you go by statistics for party invitations.  You could have them bring sack lunches, peanut butter sandwiches (if no allergies, of course), apples, raisins, juice boxes and save tons of money on lunch.  What other sandwich doesn't go bad besides peanut butter?  Must be something...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Do you have a good sized yard?  What about pizza, cake, icecream and squirtgun tag or waterballoon tag in the backyard? 

My birthday is in the early summer just before school got out and when I was in the second and third grade my mom would invite the entire class over [about 30 kids] and serve cake and hoodsies.  She'd also hire a few of the older neighborhood girls to man booths where there were various games -horseshoes, throw darts at balloons, races, etc and they'd win some prize from the dime store.  Granted, this was back in the late 70s, but it was a lot of fun.  HTH.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think that's passe, now, ALF. :(  My mom did the same thing.  She had a friend who decorated cakes, and I remember my 3rd birthday cake her friend made for me.  Actually, I don't remember the cake, I remember not wanting to eat it because I didn't like sweets.  My mom was embarrassed, and whispered to me to eat my cake (the woman was there) and gave me further "motivation" by saying, "the other kids are eating theirs."  I whispered back because I figured she didn't understand, "But, Mom, they like cake."  What could she say to that?  It was the first and last time she ever tried to use peer pressure to get me to do anything. 

Sorry, I digress, but I love that story, what can I say.

Backyard games have gone the way of the dodo, but I wish they hadn't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I thought everything old was new again?  Kids are still kids and they all love running around like idiots squirting each other w/ water. The OP can start a new trend. I'd bet the other parents will love her for it.  :-) 

FWIW, we did this w/ waterballoons at a law firm outing.  Everyone acted like they were 5 and had a blast. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

This reminds me of the party favor thread.  Everyone pretty much agreed they'd thank a parent that didn't send their kid home with a bag full of expensive junk that would just get wedged under their car seats.  But, no one wants to be that first parent in a group that does something grassroots and risks getting put down by the parents that do the now expected rather expensive day trip/activity or the one who doesn't hand out bags of favors.

So, bottom line, this OP needs ideas!  The zoo was all I could think of.  I wonder if the Museum of Science is "crazy" expensive.  What someone considers expensive is relative.

How much do you want to spend per child, Kate?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My friends always seem to have parties at the Little Gym. http://www.thelittlegym.com/pages/kids-birthday.aspx

Apparently there are mats and bouncy things and the kids can go crazy without destroying each other or your house.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Along the same lines as Little Gym:

Monkey Joe's (bouncy houses and play areas, various lcoations)
    http://www.monkeyjoes.com/Parties.aspx

Strike One Sports in Danvers
    http://www.strikeone.com/strikeone/bday/bday.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

It may be too young for 7yo's, but my niece's birthday party was at Monkey Joe's (sort of an indoor bouncy-house "fun" park).  The kids LOVED it, ran ragged, got Purelled half to death by the staff, and my SIL swears by it. 

I had the same, "they're kids, what about a party at home?" reaction, but my SIL said that outsourcing was the best thing she ever did, time- and stress-wise.  Your local Y probably has a party rental thing you can do -- I see that a lot locally. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

What about a pool party? Local town pools rent them out-swimming and playing in the water was always some of my favorite birthday parties growing up.

I agree, go "old school" and do a backyard party. Pinata, pizza, water balloons, Watermellon....you'll be retro cool!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Where are you located?  That would help get ideas where you are.  If you are any where near Boylston Wicked Good Cookies does parties.  Also there are those inflatable places like Pump it Up or Jump on In.  Ecotarium also does parties that are reasonable.  As for the backyard party...they still happen.  We just got invited to a 6 yo's luau.  My son's party's are also in the back yard. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from katenjake. Show katenjake's posts

Thanks for the ideas.  It is for a May party and the last time we tried to do it outside we had a rain-out so I am trying to avoid that.  I took your advice and asked the parents about LaserQuest.  All but 1 thought their kids would be okay with it, so I may go that way.  I looked at Strike One - that looks like fun too.  I like an active party where the boys can run around. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good luck!  One?  That stinks it's not unanimous.  I hope the one kid's parents change their minds (if it's at LQ) so they can all be allowed to go. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My 9.5 year old son loves birthday parties at a bowling alley.  He has  had several there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

We had my son's 9th birthday at LaserQuest and out of 20 kids, one boy declined because he was afraid.  However my 7 year old, who is afraid of the dark and amusement rides, LOVES it there, as did all the other kids.  

ALF has a great point though.  We have held and been to many big, expensive parties for both of my kids and my 7 year old recently came home all excited that one of his friends was just going to have a few people over and it would be so cool because it would be, "Just like a playdate with cake!"  He likes this idea and wants to do it for his party this summer.  The one time I tried it at home two years ago, we rented a big bouncy water thing and invited 22 kids and it rained, so they ended up running around the house, and luckily I had a table full of arts & crafts!  My son thought it was wonderful, but I wouldn't recommend it!:)  

Other options, as it sounds like you are in the North Shore area: Monkey Joe's in Danvers; Pump it Up in Peabody; Roller Palace in Beverly is fun and only $10/person; the Beverly (Sterling) YMCA has some good pool, gymnastics, rock climbing and sports game parties; Strike One is pretty good; Coco Key; Monster Mini Golf in Danvers...

Good luck!      

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

My big kids (daughter is 8 & son is 7)  still get invites to backyard parties, especially during the warmer months, and they have a GREAT time, every time.  I wouldn't dismiss this straight off -- if you have the space and the creativity, you could come up with a very cool theme and awesome activities that 7-year-old boys would love.  I've always thought that the trend to do parties elsewhere was for the parents -- someone else does set up/clean up/plan activities, no mess at your house, don't have to deal with 12 little kids racing around -- all of which are very real and understandable concerns.  BUT, if you're willing, I don't think the kids care very much where they party, as long as they party.

PS -- my son went through a cake-hating period.  I've made shaped brownies, stacks of cookies, or just served ice cream.  Made him happy and no one cared that there was no cake!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Also, where are you?  I know of some pretty inexpensive places on the South Shore, but if you're not down here it probably wouldn't help you!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from katenjake. Show katenjake's posts

Thanks for all the help.  We are on the North Shore, Jen, but thanks for the offer.