Bug Repellent

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boslee028. Show boslee028's posts

Bug Repellent

With all of the wet weather we had last month, we are finding that our yard is attracting lots of mosquitos.  DS LOVES to play in the backyard when we get home from work  Wanted to get opinions from other parents on bug repellents that are safe and effective.  I'm thinking about Avon's Skin So Soft.  Also wondering about safe treatments for the yard.  In addition to DS we also have a pup to consider.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yacklebee. Show yacklebee's posts

Re: Bug Repellent

Just the other day our pedi recommended Skin So Soft when it isn't bad, but we asked about in the woods and camping and she said use the real good Deep Woods Off type stuff, just try to put it only on their clothes and wash them off afterwards. My DS is 18 months.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you use Skin So Soft, make sure it's the Skin So Soft Bug Guard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I've heard lots of stories about using Listerine not only on your skin but to sprinkle it around the area to keep them away entirely.  Caveat Emptor, though: not everything on the 'net is true...or even safe. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melsau2006. Show Melsau2006's posts

How old is your child? Most docs don't suggest anything for babies a year and under.
    I wouldn't use any chemicals in the yard - can be detrimental for your son and pup!  I've used the mosquito magnet with success.
    In terms of bug repellent, DEET is most effective, but it's toxic. There's a reason bugs stay away from it!
    I use California Baby bug repellent. It's got a good rating from EWG (environmental working group) and it does a decent job.  And, I don't have to worry about giving my kid cancer to protect her from West Nile virus!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaz1970. Show shaz1970's posts

I've been using a brand called Bite Blocker and it seems to work well. It's all natural made of plant oils. It has a strong smell but not like chemicals. I found out about it online. You can get it at Whole Foods or Hannafords. Packaging and website say it's OK for babies too. I've used it on my 3 yr old and 1 yr old in backyard, along with mosquito magnet. So far, minimal bites. I don't have the expectation of never getting any bites, though!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, under a year old, netting is the best thing.  Maybe burning citronella candles around, but no bug repellant, and certainly no DEET for a baby.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MummyKitM. Show MummyKitM's posts

We use a Mosquito Magnet, DEET around the ankles for ticks(you can just spray socks), and the best(so far)for black flies(not much mosquitoes yet): Sun Feather "Little Buggers"! We spray this onto a bandana, which my DD won't go outside without. SHE tells me to put it on her! The one day she didn't wear it, she got 6-8 bites at recess(she's 4). It has an olive oil base, so be careful what you apply it to, but it's GREAT! I spray it on my gardening hats, and I haven't been bitten. I picked it up at our local Ace Hardware, but check out their website; Sunfeather.com   Cool  
    Good luck!

Sections
Shortcuts