Car sickness - remedies?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bricky. Show Bricky's posts

Car sickness - remedies?

My two year old gets sick on long car rides (anything over an hour and a half). It started last summer and I thought it would be something he'd grow out of but he hasn't.  Someone told me to give him ginger cookies before the ride but he is also a very picky eater. I also try to time the car rides during his nap or bed time but it's not always possible.  Has anyone dealt with this? Any home remedies out there I should try? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Car sickness - remedies?

I've gotten car sick since the first car ride.  Anything sweet makes things worse for me, although, it's the ginger in the ginger cookies that works.  Can a 2 year old take capsules?  GNC sells ginger in that form.  It's been proven to work on not only motion sickness but morning sickness, too - any cause of nausea.

However, if it takes an hour and a half it has something to do with what he's looking at, not just the motion itself.  It's visual.  Is he riding facing the rear?  Great for safety, bad for motion sickness.  Is he watching a video?  Focusing on a toy or book in his lap?  The way to prevent motion sickness is to have him see out the front and keep his attention toward the windsheild.  If that's impossible, I don't know what to say.  If I sit in the front and watch where we're going, I don't get sick.  If I read a book, crochet, etc. in an hour I'm on the side of the road vomiting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

A two-year-old can forward face safely. You could move him into the middle of the back seat (the safest place for a carseat anyway) so he can look out the front of the car.

I get car sick too. It's the worst.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If that's kosher from a safety perspective, I bet you improve the situation at least by 80% moving a forward facing seat to the center of the backseat as lemon suggested.  On long car rides it might still be a challenge to keep his eyes focused out the front instead of on a toy or whatever other distraction meant to keep him occupied, but that's the key.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Coke syrup - NOT coca cola, but the syrup itself works wonders too. I had to have that with us for our young children, whenever we had an extended trip. It is sweet, so I had no trouble to have them lap a teaspoonful down. You can buy it at the pharmacy.
    You can also make your own ginger syrup. I do that for making Ginger Ale. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ginger-Syrup
    - Pingo

ETA: Make sure you give it to your child at the beginning of the trip, not when he/she gets sick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bricky. Show Bricky's posts

Thank you for the suggestions. He is facing forward but has a brother so I can't put him in the middle seat. I did learn my lesson the hard way about having a DVD player on -- definitely makes the situation so much worse.  I will definitely pick up either the coke or ginger syrup and/or give the cookies another try before the next trip.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cookies won't have a medicinal amount of ginger.  Look into the capsules.  They are sold specifically for motion sickness prevention.

GL!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

If you want to go the ginger syrup way, you will have to make it yourself. I have never seen it available anywhere. But it is really so easy to do and last long time in the refrigerator. - Pingo

In Response to Re: Car sickness - remedies?:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for the suggestions. He is facing forward but has a brother so I can't put him in the middle seat. I did learn my lesson the hard way about having a DVD player on -- definitely makes the situation so much worse.  I will definitely pick up either the coke or ginger syrup and/or give the cookies another try before the next trip.
    Posted by Bricky[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

The Today Show had a segment on natural children's remedies this morning and highlighted this product:

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Eaze-All-Natural-Sickness-Special/dp/B000ZOT9QW

ETA: Have you talked to your pedi about this? I am sure they'd have some good recommendations, too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry to say that if he can't see out the windsheild no matter how much ginger you give him he'll still get sick.  If it's impossible, that's one thing, but if it's inconvenient, I'd do everything within my power to get him seeing out the front.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

When he's a little older you can give him one of those pressure point bracelets. Not much help now, though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

With two car seats in the back it could be impossible to put one in the middle as the convertible seats are very big. I'd check with his doctor they may be able to sugest something.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It might be impossible, but it's the cause nonetheless.  What can I say?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

You could buy a cadilac. Don't those have, like, three middle seats?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

A few more thoughts -- as an adult, I find that an open window and a cool temp can help. My husband likes to crank the heat and that always makes me ill. Also, trying to drive as smoothly as possible -- not a lot of stops and starts and jerking around. I don't know if it's different for kids, though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

They do make pressure point bracelets for children.  Not sure what age they recommend them for but they could be his special "car trip bracelets" so that he'll keep them on.

Also, what about asking your Pedi if Dramamine is an option.  For a 2 year old you would probably have to decrease the normal dose but that can work wonders for people with motion sickness.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lemon, I second all those tips from personal experience.  Keeping an "even speed" on the highway helps, too.  Some people just tap the gas such that the car speeds up and slows down almost imperceptibly to most people - not me, the green one in the passenger seat.  It's hard to explain without demonstrating (which I had to do in a carpool once - how embarrassing).

Since the OP asked for "home remedies" I didn't include Dramamine, but it was a lifesaver for me when I was a kid.  My mom gave me 1/2 a pill, and I think I'm remembering myself around 3.  Not sure before that.  Put that on the list of things to ask the pedi.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Dramamine was a lifesaver for me as a kid as well.  I know it's not a natural remedy, but my mom is a huge no-medicine freak and she still sanctioned it.  I believe 2 year olds can have it, although of course ask the pediatrician.

Regarding the even driving pace, it's very important, I agree.  But don't think that cruise control will help -- in my experience it's even worse unless it's incredibly flat and straight (like Nebraska or something) because the car doesn't anticipate the changes in the road and the acceleration and deceleration are somehow unnatural.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cruise control is definitely worse (as nonintuitive as it might seem) unless a driver is particularly terrible at keeping an even speed on their own.  The electronics of cc aren't as good as I am at keeping an even speed, but there are drivers for whom it would be a vast improvement.

I'm pretty sure my mom gave me 1/2 a Dramamine at 2, but I didn't want to say for sure because I do remember taking it (most notably the bitter taste!) at 3.  It's an antihistamine - not a big difference between that and benedryl, actually.  That's why it makes you sleepy.