1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Changes to forums and article comments

Hi everybody,

As you can see, we've launched new discussion forums, article comments, and personal profiles on the site. We've always relied on software from other companies to power our user tools.  But during the past few months, we've built our own – we think this will give us more flexibility and control over these features.

Here in the forums, we had to delay the implementation of some of the features that you like: The gold star that brings you to the first unread comment, Ignore this user, spell check, add an image, and some others. We have a working list of items to restore in the coming days and weeks.

There’s a fuller explainer here: http://www.boston.com/community/note_to_bostoncom_users/

Please leave a comment here about any features that are missing that I didn't mention in the note linked above, or if you're having any technical issues.

Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: Changes to forums and article comments

Missing Features:

The toolbar on the top of the Moms page has a link for "discussions" that is broken. 

Also the lack of page navigation buttons at the bottom as well as the top of pages.

The front Moms Page link to discussions is confusing - the top link takes you to the general discussions, not the Moms ones.

No Mark all as read feature.

I haven't tried it, but heard that there is also no Edit Post feature.

As I am typing this, when I tapped enter at the bottom of the window, my cursor went out of sight, I had to manually scroll to catch up with it. (this might be an issue with Chrome, so please test/optimize for Chrome as well as IE and Safari)

I'll be back if I notice any more. or edit post if I can :-)

Oh - no Emoticons!!!! the horror :-P

Also a synonym for tapped that is 3 letters long was apparently a banned word

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I know change is hard, but I hate the new comments. Especially the ones that follow the news articles. The forums seem basically unchanged - although you do need to get the edit button back.
    The comments after articles are a disaster. They don't all show - they aren't in chronological order anymore. As usual, if your comment isn't pro-liberal, it disapears shortly after posting.
    This paper is a total sham - it's basically just an arm of the DNC at this point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

it continues to be annoying that there are some words- totally common in a mom's forum (e.g., p00p, brea_st) that you won't allow us to write. seriously?

I also know that there have been problems with logging in (I had had many), the sequencing of posts, and getting messages to remove these words and then there being no list of words.

and I really want edit back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I am trying to find an all discussion under Infants and Toddlers and everytime I click "See more infant and toddler discussions" it brings me to the full list of General Discussions.

Does anyone test before going live?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Sorry, and OLD discuss under infants and toddlers....If i could edit my post I could have fixed it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Mystery words are now banned...and the pop up won't display what words are banned.

Login issues continue, bumping back to the boston.com homepage after logging in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I get the same issue with going back to the home page when I got in to.  I always was automatically logged in and now even if I check the remember me button on the log in page I have to log back in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

And seriously - I've posted 2 or 3 things on the political stories of the day and they simply don't show up. And it's not like i'm posting some sort of moonbat crazy rant either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Being able to log in is great, and I like knowing, again, how many posts are in a thread.

However, these are the bugs I've noticed that changed for the iPad, anyway, when the new board was launched:

1.  When I back space to delete, after a certain number of characters it used to delete whole words.  Now, it gets to that point and deletes characters super slowly as if they were words.  So, you have to let go and start deleting, again, to go faster every 10 or 15 characters.

2.  This may seem to be an iPad problem, but since it changed dramatically when the boards did, I doubt it is.  Auto correct is all messed up.  If I misspell a word and it makes a suggestion, the highlighted area to fix extends quite a ways to the left of the m isspelled word so it includes the word ahead of it and creates some funky guess that isAA result of thecombination of words ("isAA," for aptly timed instance).  As you can see, the least annoying of those results is all the glued together words because it guesses right, sort of, but thinksit's all one word when it auto corrects.  Auto correct worked perfectly before the changeover.

3.  I didn't mean to illustrate this, but if I hit italics or bold by accident on the touch screen, I can't turn it off.  Of course, I didn't have those buttons at all before, so this is an improvement.

4. as others have mentioned, not being allowed to post because of a phantom bad word is very annoying.  You have to abandon the post.

5.  all the other issues others have mentioned are also applicable to iPad users.  Log in going to the main page, not being able to edit posts, etc.

I realize things like this always have kinks to work out, but it seems, frustratingly enough, that this was not beta tested at all.

Thanks for being the go between, Dottie, that can't be fun!

Take care,
    ~kar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

For people with "phantom" banned words, make sure you do not have hyphens or slashes (forward or back slashes). I had a hyphen in a post that kept giving me "remove banned word" issues, and my DH thought it might interpret the hyphen or slash as some sort of html trickery. I doubted him, but removed the hyphen, and it was allowed. Go figure. :-(

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to amy-lynn's comment:

For people with "phantom" banned words, make sure you do not have hyphens or slashes (forward or back slashes). I had a hyphen in a post that kept giving me "remove banned word" issues, and my DH thought it might interpret the hyphen or slash as some sort of html trickery. I doubted him, but removed the hyphen, and it was allowed. Go figure. :-(

Thnaks!  I thought of this, but didn't take it far enough; I removed parentheses and a few other special characters...can't remember if I noted and removed any hyphens or slashes, but I must not have.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you have a single letter that comes after r in your post it won't take it including the way to make a proper noun possessive with an apostrophe.  Specifically, if you use the Reply feature,you have to remove that letter it adds after the poster name you're quoting in the first line.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

BDC Dottie,
    How about adding a section called Preschool Aged Children in addition to the sections titled

Pregnancy
    TTC
    Infants and Toddlers
    General

I know, right now you have bigger problems than that, but still, I think many parents have children aging up, and while I love that someone started a preschool September thread in the General section, I think it would be even better to have it's own section. That way parents could ask specific questions by opening a new thread like "off to kindergarten" or 'making friends is hard for my preschooler, any suggestions?"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from testboston11. Show testboston11's posts

Hi everybody, thank you for all the suggestions and error reports. We actually know about all of them; our devs are working through the list right now.

Yes, of course we tested before we went live! Most of the missing features we had to leave out because we simply couldn't build them before the deadline we were given.

As for the bugs, well, we imported more than half a million user accounts, more than 3 million foum posts, and countless article comments, as well as everybody's avatars and Total posts, First post, Last post dates, Profile data, etc. And we had to make all of that content, created in another company's software, work in our new software, built from scratch. I've been through four of these migrations, and this has had the fewest bugs of all.

- The Discussion link on the Moms nav will be fixed

- We've restored the page numbers at the bottom of multi-page discussions

- We have standard links to replace the Discussion widgets that we've lost temporarily; the top link goes to the main Forums page, and the second link goes to the forums for each section: Moms, Business, Lifestyle, etc.

- The Mark as read feature will return, as will the gold stars to jump to your last unread post, Edit my post, Ignore this user, and more editing tools like colored fonts and emoticons.

- You can insert images now if you copy and paste them into your message. The icon to do it from your computer is on its way.

- The cursor issue has been fixed on our testing site; we just have to review and approve it.

- Not being able to type the letter ess or the word h i t is the weirdest glitch we've come across. Devs are on it. The people over in the Red Sox forum are really frustrated by not being able to use that word!

- I'll check the bad words filter for p o o p  and b r e a s t.

- We did change the article comments to be Latest First rather than Chrono order, although there is a link to change it to chrono if you want. We did that because we're going to start displaying a few comments at the bottom of articles, and we want fresh comments to display, not the same 2 or 3 stale comments all day.

- Believe me, the moderators at the Canadian company we contracted to monitor our Abuse Reports do not delete comments based on political persuasion. They couldn't care less. Plus, they know that if we discovered them doing so, we'd fire them.

- We're also aware of the cookie not being persistent and keeping you logged in, or the comment box throwing you to the homepage.

- kar, I've given your list of iPad issues to our mobile product manager.

- CT, happy to add a pre-school children forum for you. Will do that right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from testboston11. Show testboston11's posts

(By the way, the note above is from BDCDottie ... I'm logged in as a tester because our devs are constantly fixing things and that's the only way I can test them.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from testboston11. Show testboston11's posts

kar, our mobile product manager just came to see me. He replicated the auto-correct and back space issue, and said it's a problem with TinyMCE, which is a type of Javascript. We're filing a repair ticket right now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'm just baffled by the constant need to 'upgrade' and change the boards. Every time you do so, you have a series of tech issues and lose posters as a result.  It took me over a week to be able to log back in this time b/c of the 'new and improved changes'.  It's extremely annoying.  If it's not broken, don't fix it.  Thank you. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'm so confused by your explanation of the issues. So it was a big job and you had a deadline. so what? I'm not interested in the excuses. I just want it fixed.
     And I never said some Moderator was deleting my posts in the political articles.I post, hit "add your post" and it just disapears. One of your "Devs" needs to look into it.
    BTW - way to buy American - handing over the moderator feature to the Canadians. Whoo Hoo! Great Job! (sigh)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Dottie, and greetings from Ambergirl who is in touch with me via email but cannot log in from her Droid phone.  She wanted me to let you know that Droid users seem to be prevented from logging in.  Of course, no way for us to know if it's just her or all Droid users, but that's what we know. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I've been offline a few days and just saw your update post on the issues and their status - thanks!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hi,
    the broken links problem is the most annoying and really should be one of the easiest to fix.
    I'm referring specifically to the page http://www.boston.com/community/moms/forums/

All the links on this page are defunct.  This should be straightforward to address.

Thank you!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

In response to medfordcc's comment:

Hi,
    the broken links problem is the most annoying and really should be one of the easiest to fix.
    I'm referring specifically to the page http://www.boston.com/community/moms/forums/

All the links on this page are defunct.  This should be straightforward to address.

Thank you!

Testing the s issue. as well as the 's issue.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

thank you!!  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

A week ago, I didn't want to beat a dead horse, but now I have to say that the broken links are RIDICULOUS!  I would say at least 60% of the time, I can't get to the forums.  Not only that, but I can rarely read articles from the main page either.  Constantly get the "Help page not found" message.

Sections
Shortcuts