Children with mental health issues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostintheconfusion. Show Lostintheconfusion's posts

Children with mental health issues

My son is 22 years old.  Four years ago he was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic.  He has had many hospitalizations (both long and short term) over the past few years.  Each time he is hospitalized it is because he is out of reality (thinks people are after him, the government is out to get him, food is poisened, etc.).  I am curious if there are any other parents out there who have faced this same situation and how they deal with it on a daily basis. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

Re: Children with mental health issues

I am sorry to hear about your son. I have personal experience with schizophrenia but not as a parent.  I have a very close family member who is schizophrenic and it's been unbelievably difficult and painful. I haven't done this program yet but NAMI has a Family to Family course that might be helpful for you. NAMI is a wonderful resource. I believe that they also have in person support groups specifically for parents and a community of online support.

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=Family-to-Family

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostintheconfusion. Show Lostintheconfusion's posts

Thank you for responding to my post.  I will be checking out this program.  This illness is horrible to say the least.  Again, thank you. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Lostintheconfusion,Hi I hope all is well. I understand all too well about how you are feeling. One of my brothers,who I love dearly and is a kind,loving person suffers from schizophrenia. It is so hard dealing with this disease, and as a mother it must be harder still. I will be taking grimalkins advice. It's a lonely situation sometimes, I only tell people who I really trust to understand.My brothers symptoms are the same as your sons. One problem with this illness is that at times they dont trust doctors or the medication they need. It's not often talked about,but you are not alone. Best wishes and thoughts. b.g.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostintheconfusion. Show Lostintheconfusion's posts

Thanks b.g.  My son is in the midst of having another "episode" as I call it and it doesn't get any easier each time this happens.  It is a matter of time before he is section 12'd again.  Thank you again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Lostintheconfusion,You are so much in my thoughts.I am thinking of you and understand how difficult it is for you. Please post back to let me know how you are doing.beastsgirl