Christmas Charity Suggestions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from v1ct0r1a. Show v1ct0r1a's posts

Christmas Charity Suggestions?

Hi everyone
    I'm quite new to the city (Cambridge) from Canada and my family and I are trying to find a good Christmas Charity this year. We don't give gifts to anyone other than our daughter as our families are quite fortunate and what can we give our parents/siblings/each other that they can't just buy themselves? We'd rather give to those in need who fear the onslaught of the Christmas season because of pressure to buy buy buy when they can hardly pay the bills.
    I'd love to find a charity that sponsors families or children. In the past I've recieved 'lists' for families detailing what the children might like for Christmas and if they could use food/clothing. I would love to do this again. I can't imagine ever feeling like I might not be able to feed or clothe my daughter in these cold months, or put a present under the tree for her.
    I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows of a good and reputable charity for families/children. If not, the Sally Ann and/or food banks are always a go to.
    Thanks for the time!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Christmas Charity Suggestions?

We give to the Home for Little Wanderers. You can buy toys from Santa, or you can buy wish lists for families. It's really heartbreaking to read some of the wish lists -- we filled one last Christmas for an eight-year-old boy who asked only for things like toothpaste for his parents and diapers for his baby brother. One of our best friends works for the organization and helped distribute the gifts, and he said that the families were so touched that people cared about them -- it meant more than the gifts even.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

Ditto on the Home for Little Wanderers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from v1ct0r1a. Show v1ct0r1a's posts

Thanks guys! I checked it out, looks just like what I'm looking for and a wonderful cause

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Italian Home for Children in Jamaica Plain does a similar thing - you get the kids wish-list and can either buy gifts or a gift certificate so they can. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Christmas in the City http://www.christmasinthecity.org/ lets you purchase gifts on amazon.com and ship directly to the charity for disbursement. But from a selfish standpoint, I prefer to buy the gifts in person and bring them to the drop-off location. I grew up very poor and was helped out by organizations like these as a kid, so it means a lot to me to be in a position to give back. It's incredibly moving to visit the Home for Little Wanderers and see all the piles and piles of gifts from caring people, and the exhausted volunteers sorting them. I look forward to bringing my daughter this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The Mass State Police sponsors a Toys for Tots drive every year.  And, Jordan's furniture does a coat drive, too.  Many churches have lists of specific gifts that needy children in their congregations are hoping for and/or need.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

A friend of mine told me about an orphanage in Haiti called God's Little Angels.  I'm not a religious person, but I've followed their website in the aftermath of the earthquake (godslittlestangelsinhaiti.org).  Regardless of the religious aspects, it's a powerful story.

Even though it's not local, I figured I'd pass it along.  As mothers, it's hard not to feel for children in need.

Good for you to give such thoughtful gifts for the holidays.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Another local group is Horizons for Homeless Children.
    Another place that does wish lists for the holidays is Globe Santa (through the Boston Globe).
    Another thing you might be interested in is the group Boston Cares -- you sign up and do a brief training, and then they act as a liaison for all sorts of volunteer opportunities and charitable things.  It's a really cool idea, and a great thing for someone who wants to get involved but either isn't sure where to start or else can't make a regularly scheduled commitment.

Great idea on the gifts... our daughter is only 10 weeks but it sounds like a tradition we should begin!

Sections
Shortcuts