Christmas Gifts for 1/2 siblings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

My child has 2 siblings, 2 cousins, 2 sets of grandparents, 3 uncles, 2 aunts, all on his fathers side that he only sees once a year ( at Christmas ) who will give him gifts. Therefore, am I obligated to buy them all gifts in return? ( from him ) I don't even know these people and this is 14 presents! I don't think I should have to fork out my hard earned money for people I don't even know when I'm only getting my child one thing and nothing for anyone else ( and I don't expect anything in return either ) My son has some money saved, but I don't think he should have to spend it either on that many people he only sees once a year ( with the exception of the two siblings ).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

[Quote]I will not be seeing them, I have never even met these kids and my son has only seen them once or twice. But the stockings are a great idea. I guess it is the season of giving, even if there isn't much to give.[/Quote]

Thier father should give them gifts - if it is your job to shop for the gifts, then, yes, you need to get something.

If you are not part of their lives, you need not give them holiday gifts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]I will not be seeing them, I have never even met these kids and my son has only seen them once or twice. But the stockings are a great idea. I guess it is the season of giving, even if there isn't much to give.[/Quote]

Well, if you're not going to be seeing the kids on Christmas, then you don't need to get them anything. I thought you were going to have the kids w/ you on Christmas, in which case, you'd have to get them something b/c it wouldn't be fair for them to watch another child open gifts if they didn't have any gifts to open themselves. Don't worry about gifts for these kids then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620. Show ml2620's posts

The gifts are not coming "from" Trublusu, she's buying them on behalf of her son, right?

I think in order to help your son develop a relationship with his 1/2 siblings, it's important that he feel close enough to them to bring gifts to them.

Trublu, I can only imagine your feelings about the ex and his kids, but it's really key long term for your son to have a relationship with his brothers and sisters. Someday these kids are all going to be adults, they are his future support system, they are his blood and they may be able to help him understand and resolve some feelings about his dad. They might turn out to be pretty good people too!

As usual, ALF has a good simple idea, I don't think what you buy or how much you spend is important, but I do think it's important that your son be proud and excited to bring his own gifts to his siblings. Make it a double gift and have a nice afternoon decorating a graham cracker gingerbread house with your son, or making an ornament for their tree, or bake cookies you'd bake anyway for neighbors and send that.

As for gifts for all the uncles, grandparents, etc. That is his father's job, it's his family and he's just as obligated to help develop your son's relationship with that family.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

My child has two young 1/2 siblings, one of which he's never met since his father only bothers to see him at Christmas and his birthday. I have never met either of these kids. Am I obligated to buy them gifts, even though I'm not even getting my own family gifts this year? ( we all agreed on it, due to the bad economy ect... )

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi tru,
    It is nice of you to think of them, but I don't think it is necessary for you to give them anything. Right now you could get away with simple things, but they grow up and will expect larger and more expensive things. It would be a good idea to establish a custom/tradition, while they are young.
    I don't know, how old your son is, but why don't you ask him, what he wants to do? If he is young it may not matter to him, but when he gets older - he can buy his own gifts for his siblings, if he choose to do so. I truly do not think, you should be worried about them. Well, that is just my opinion - others may think differently. - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

If you are going to be seeing them on Christmas and your own child is going to be opening gifts in their presence, then, yes, you should get them something. You could do something like a stocking full of inexpensive goodies - oversized candycanes, chocolate santas, small games for playing in the car [they have tons of card games like this], small gadgets if they are boys, hair clips or sparkly chapstick if they are girls. You don't have to break the bank, but a little something is probably a good idea. You could easily do it for $20. HTH!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I don't get it. You've never met them, you don't like their father, who rarely sees the son that you share, and your son doesn't know them. You won't see them on Christmas. They wouldn't know you from Adam.

Why would you think you need to buy them presents?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

I will not be seeing them, I have never even met these kids and my son has only seen them once or twice. But the stockings are a great idea. I guess it is the season of giving, even if there isn't much to give.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CraftyGirl02. Show CraftyGirl02's posts

Re: Christmas Gifts for 1/2 siblings

Why buy when you can make?  Nothing shows you care (or says you're thrifty) like a homemade present.  How about making some salt dough ornaments for the tree?  This blog has a great salt dough recipe that can be used for ornaments!  http://creativekidscrafts.wordpress.com/2009/08/12/easy-salt-dough-people/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Do I understand correctly that your son is the child of you and a previous partner and these half siblings are the children on the previous partner? 

If so, then no, I don't think you need to buy gifts.  His father should take care of this.

But if his father does not take care of this, I would say small gifts, on the line of what ALF suggested, would be a good idea if for no other reason than to teach what I think is the real message of Christmas--It is in giving that you receive.

The only other people I would suggest getting something for is his grandparents--if you do school pictures or have another nice picture of him, a picture of him in a frame (which you can buy at the Christmas Tree Shop for $5 or less) is fine.  If you can't do that, he can make something (pencil holders out of coffee cans are good gifts).

You do not need to get gifts for the more extended family such as cousins, aunts and uncles.

Of course, he needs to get a little something for his father.

Just to be clear, these gifts are not from you.  You are buying them on behalf of your son, for whom you are responsible for teaching kindness and politeness.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

In Response to Christmas Gifts for 1/2 siblings:
    [QUOTE]My child has 2 siblings, 2 cousins, 2 sets of grandparents, 3 uncles, 2 aunts, all on his fathers side that he only sees once a year ( at Christmas ) who will give him gifts. Therefore, am I obligated to buy them all gifts in return? ( from him ) I don't even know these people and this is 14 presents! I don't think I should have to fork out my hard earned money for people I don't even know when I'm only getting my child one thing and nothing for anyone else ( and I don't expect anything in return either ) My son has some money saved, but I don't think he should have to spend it either on that many people he only sees once a year ( with the exception of the two siblings ).
    Posted by trublusu[/QUOTE]

My assumption would be that although you personally give them no gifts, it would be nice to start son in giving gifts.  As he becomes of age to realize he has some undefined relationship with these siblings, it might help him to hear, son, you are old enough now to be giving gifts, not just getting them the way babies do. 
         Granted, you have to fund it.  Perhaps it would help if you and son could think of real chores (in addition to unpaid things like keeping his room clean )  that he could do for money.  Every 2 weeks, he does $5 of chores in about 2 hours, long  enough to make an impression.   

Before the Christmas visit he has $35 to spend on a stocking of gifts for his sibs, and a token hostess gift of candy for his Dad and wife.  Maybe a box for grandparents.
        In truth, it does not hurt him to learn that gifts are a reciprocal thing, and about saying thanks for gifts in thank you notes.

More important is that he will have intervals of thinking of his sibs as his brothers and sisters, and of his grandparents at least.  As your son gets older, he may end up visiting more often, and this will be a help.