Circumcision?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Circumcision?

It really is outrageous how mothers coddle newborn infants. Babies should be alternately ignored and beaten. And a mother asking for a doctor's advice on a medical procedure? When will this insanity end? Next you'll tell me that mothers of infants should hold babies when they cry and feed them when they're hungry. Ha ha, just kidding. That would be crazy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh, and from a woman's perspective -- if you're too lazy to clean your own member, you're not going to be using it much anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

In Response to Re: Circumcision?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Circumcision? : It's also a religious thing, though. I mean, I don't know much about Judaism, but I think it's an important part of that tradition. I don't know why or what it means, but I know it's a thing.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I *think* most Jewish people have it done by a mohel (is that the right spelling?), so I don't think it's covered by insurance in that case.  I guess I just feel that since it is cosmetic, people should have to pay out of pocket just like they do for most kinds of elective procedures.  It is my understanding that this is how Canada handles it.  Their national insurance does not cover it, but you can opt to pay out of pocket.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Circumcision? : Yes, but I *think* most Jewish people have it done by a mohel (is that the right spelling?), so I don't think it's covered by insurance in that case. 
    Posted by Notanewbie[/QUOTE]
    My entire knowledge of the religious circumcision is limited to that Seinfeld episode.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

According to Jewish tradition, the brit is the sign of the covenant between Abraham (father of the big three) and God. 

It's a big deal.  It's a big enough deal that Jewish parents have been circumcizing their baby boys for centuries despite the fact that it was a guarantee the kid couldn't really pass for anything other than Jewish at a time of persecution (there have been lots). 

That being said, my husband's family is Jewish and mine's Catholic.  We (my husband and I) are closeted Atheists who agree if we ever have a boy we won't circumcize for a bunch of reasons.  I was prepared, before we started talking about it, to let him make the decision in the end, despite the fact I really didn't feel comfortable having someone cut skin off my baby's genitals.  As a person who underwent many necessary, life-saving procedures as an infant and child, I have very strong feelings about putting a kid through any sort of procedure that is not completely necessary. 

The questions (nosy, over the line, nobody's business questions) from his family started coming when my baby was in utero.
    I will say that the highlight was when my distraught MIL, after exausting all other reasons, cried out "OK, so there's this show on cable called Real Sex and I was watching this episode about how they make d1ldos and the model they used was circumsized, and they sold thousands and thousands of them, so if that's what people want, shouldn't that count for something?"
    Seriously.  No word of a lie.  I will put it in my book I write one day.  I got to have a conversation with my MIL about how d1ldos are made.  thousands and thousands of them.

PS - we ended up having a girl.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I also want to add that I parent-teach at a co-operative preschool, where I need to change diapers and assist with potty, and almost all of the boys are intact (6 out of 7), so there goes the locker room argument...unless you want your son to stand out as the only circ'ed boy.  (Note:  I am now living in a liberal west coast city, having moved from Boston a few months ago.  I suppose it may be that the nutty-crunchy denizens of this city may be skewing the perspective slightly or a sign of things to come.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I think the religious reasons are bogus.  Certain religions/cultures/sects circumcise women.  Does that make it acceptable?

Mutilating your child's genitals is just wrong.  That's my opinion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Effrontery. Show Effrontery's posts

We went ahead and circ'd both boys, mostly because DH wanted to (and I once had an uncirc'd boyfriend and was not so impressed with the whole situation--but I didn't bother telling DH that.)

One thing to keep in mind is that after a circ, it is not unusual for the wound to be extremely disturbing to look at and care for.  It really is a surgical procedure that leaves the boy with a wound.  If you are on the fence, ask yourself if you are the type that would be all upset and guilty for years over seeing the newborn baby that way. 

Like I said, I had both sons done, so apparently it wasnt THAT traumatic, but better to know ahead of time what you are signing the baby up for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Effrontery. Show Effrontery's posts

oh, and as far as getting it done later being an urban myth, my sister's bf got an infection under the foreskn and didn't go to the doctor right away. The inside swelled up so the foreskn couldn't retract. By the time he went to the ER, the only thing they could do was circ him and put him on painkillers.  They broke up, mostly because she thought he was an idiot for not going to the doctor, but a little bit because she couldn't look at him the same.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Ok can you not tell someone who's son is circ'd that she Mutilated her son's genitals.  It is an individual choice and one that is made between the parents of the child.  Parenthhood comes with many choices, breast feeding, should the mother stay home.  None of those are up for debate nor should someone think any less of the parent that chooses to do these things.

Also the wound healed very quickly and it wasn't disturbing to look at.  The ob/gyn did the procedure in about two minutes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Like Kiwigal - my husband is from a country where they don't circ and he never once heard of anyone having to get done later in life.  And if you get an infection anywhere on your body and choose to ignore it, uh yeah its probably going to be a problem.

And I gave my opinion which was what the OP asked for.  I also think its wrong to pierce your kids ears at a young age (they should be able to request it themselves).  Or tattoo them, or Botox them for that matter.

If you did it five or ten years ago when all the doctors were telling their pediatric patients to do it - I can't really blame the parents for going along with their doctor's advice.  But in this information age and when there are no conclusive studies (performed in this country on a wide demographical selection) proving a benefit, its time to change and stop the practice.  I also think the human body evolved the way it did for a reason, why start hacking off parts of a person's body (without their permission) for aesthetical reasons?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Following the commandment to circumcise their babies is keeping the covenant between God and the Jewish people for them to continue being His people.  One doesn't have to be Jewish or otherwise religious to appreciate that calling that reason to do it "bogus" is inappropriate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Bogus! 

There are many other religious/beliefs that call for other forms of mutilation that are all banned in this country.  Why is circumcision any different?

And what if someone started a new religion and then claimed that you had to give the tip of your pinky finger, or ear lobes, fork your tounge (baby would have too)?  All of those things would probably get you arrested and I'm sure DSS would want to get involved.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you want to call the essence of being a Jew bogus and don't see a difference between Judaism and a fly by night cult, it's pointless to argue.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I couldn't care less about what makes the essence of a religion.  And I don't think Judaism or any other religion deserves any sort of differentiation, in my opinion.  Not to digress - but what makes anyone's beliefs more important that someone elses?  Because someone has a certain practice that is sanctified by their religion, they get carte blanche to do as they please, in the name of their religion???

Physically altering your child's genitalia for any reason is wrong, and doing it because of some deep held religious belief seems even creepier.  In my opinion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

How open minded of you.

I think the OP stated in her original post that she hoped that things would not get out of control b/c she acknowledged that this can be a charged issue. 

You are entitled to your opinion. However, your opinion does not matter more or less than anyone else's, or their religious beliefs.  Calling someone else's religious beliefs "wrong" or "creepy" isn't going to engender any productive dialogue on this issue. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Again when deciding on something to do to your own child - It is the parents choice.  I know people that don't believe in getting their child vaccinated.  Personally, I don't agree with that, but I wouldn't get on my soap box and say someone was risking their child to a sickness and in turn risking other kids safety.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

See, I *would* get on my soapbox and say that someone was risking their child's and other children's safety by failing to vaccinate.  I don't think there's anything wrong with voicing an opinion (and, yes, at a certain point a judgment) about these things, particularly because a lack of discussion lets false beliefs (like, that vaccines cause autism) stand unchallenged.  Where you don't see both options as equally valid, I think it's fine (and sometimes good) to say so, whether the issue is vaccines or circumcision or whatever other charged parenting topic it is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

thistle--THANK YOU! I totally agree with you about the vaccine question. Yes, parents have the right to do what they choose with their children (within limits of course), but that doesn't mean that the rest of us cannot have opinions and express them. Especially on an internet message board where people are asking for opinions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Thank you to those who contributed in a way that was originally asked and did not attack the personal beliefs of others - that being if you have a son, why you did or did not choose to circumcise.

Vaccinations are another point entirely - there are potentially very hazardous implications for others/broader society if babies/children aren't vaccinated, the same cannot be said of circumcision.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes ladies, but I wouldn't write that someone mutlilates their son's gential over and over again.  I would give my opinion on why I don't agree with something.    It's a decision that many parents make.  My analogy wasn't the greatest. FWIW, I vaccinated my son as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Really, I did give my opinion on why I don't agree.  And who starts a thread about circumcision and expects that it won't be a lively discusion.  I refer to the procedure by what I believe it to be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]PS - we ended up having a girl.
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

My OB was so glad we were finding out what we were having because she said she's sick of seeing couples argue about circumsion (or names) only to find out it's a girl.  She cracks me up.  I hope she doesn't make the same comments when a woman says she isn't going to find out!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

[QUOTE]Really, I did give my opinion on why I don't agree.  And who starts a thread about circumcision and expects that it won't be a lively discusion.  I refer to the procedure by what I believe it to be.
    Posted by SarahInActon[/QUOTE]

Sarah - as others have acknowledged, I started this knowing that it can be a heated topic, which is why, from the outset, I asked that it just be people saying that if they had a boy why they did/did not circumcise - the last thing I wanted was people attacking the beliefs of others. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to voice said opinion without being attacked or told they mutilated their child.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think this is an interesting philosophical argument but maybe not a useful practical one. Obviously we accept a lot of things as normal that would seem totally odd to an alien landing on our planet and observing our culture without context. Not being a religious person, most religions sound odd to me. But as far as unfathomable traditions go, circumcision has a few thousand years of mostly benign practice. We accept it because it's been going on for a long time and while it may not be beneficial it's also mostly harmless. Would we feel differently if nobody had ever heard of circumcision, and tomorrow a totally new religion popped up and declared that they were going to start removing infant foreskins? Probably, but Judaism is not a new religion, and circumcision is not a new practice. And the Jews haven't had a super easy time of it so cut them some slack.

Sections
Shortcuts