Circumcision?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Circumcision?

DH and I have not yet decided if (if we have a boy) if we will have him circumcised.

I see pros and cons to both - but thought I would just throw it out there to get some perspectives from other people (I understand that what was right for others may not be right for us, but hearing other peopls ideas can often help to clarify thoughts of my own).

I certainly don't want this to become a nasty I'm right/you're wrong argument, or have people ranting at others that they mutiliated their child etc etc, I'm merely after the reasons behind why you did/did not circumcise your baby boy.

TIA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Re: Circumcision?

Our DS is circumcised.  I had no opinion nor religious reason to choose one over the other.  I also felt that since I don't have those parts, my DH needed to have final say.  DH refused to talk about it and would turn white as a ghost when I brought it up.  I think it was simply the idea of cutting down there!

Ultimately, we decided it was best if DS looked like Dad in that area.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

This just came up at my OB appointment as I am expecting boy #2. We did not have DS circ'ed. DH is from New Zealand where it is not at all common for men to be circ'ed. My OB mentioned that almost all of her patients that are not American do not circ their sons (except those opting for religious reasons).

Personally, we didn't see the purpose of elective surgery that is not shown to have any conclusive benefits. I know many people mention infections, cancer rates, HIV infections, etc. as reasons to circ. However, if you look at Europe and Oceania where rates are low, you do not see epidemics or unusually high numbers of these conditions in the uncirc'ed population.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

We're pretty much on the same page Kiwi.  I am having a boy and we will not be getting him circ'ed.  My DH is English and it is also not commonly done there and my family is also European and none of my male family members are.  AND I also do not feel that there is a reason to have it done - medical or otherwise.

Like SAW says, I remember my mom, who is Jewish, told me she did have a discussion with my brothers pedi about whether to do it or not to have my brother cut (30 years ago!).  The pedi, who also happened to be an orthodox Jew) recommended that my brother look like my father.  So he remains intact. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I have a 10-year old and it was decided that he have it done, all the boys in are families had it done and it was familiar to us, so we chose to do it.  From what I was told, it was done in about 2 minutes and my son was very happy after it, go figure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

We didn't circ DS b/c we didn't see a need for it (a la Kiwigal's post above).  DH is circ'ed and he was completely on board with not circ'ing DS.  In fact, when I brought it up, and asked him if he had a preference, he said he didn't think it was necessary.  When I pushed him further about DS looking like him, he said he didn't imagine that DS would be seeing him naked all that often anyway and that it didn't bother him is DS looked different.  So...easy enough to make that decision. :)  And then, once DS was born, I couldn't imagine doing an unnecessary procedure that would cause him any pain.  Even now (DS and his twin sister will be 2 next week), it's hard enough for me when we're at the pediatrician's office and they give the kids their vaccination shots...I can't imagine how I would have handled an elective surgery at just a couple days old!

I think this topic has come up before, so I may have mentioned this then, but my mother was absolutely appalled that we weren't going to circ DS.  She asked us about the cosmetic issues (i.e. what if he's the only uncirc'ed kid in the locker room and gets made fun of), and all kinds of what I considered to be superficial reasons to get circ'ed.  When it became clear to her that her opinion did not matter to us, she went online and did some research.  By the time we came home from the hospital, she told us she was glad that we hadn't circ'ed him based on all that she had read.  Also, somewhere along the line it came out that she had never seen an uncirc'ed boy/man...so we made a joke of letting her "check out" DS the next time she was around when we were changing his diaper.  So that's that.  And, as to my mother's initial "cosmetic" concerns: if I'm remembering correctly, the circumcision rate is at about 50% these days, so if the statistics hold true, he won't be the only one in the locker room who isn't circ'ed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

It's not like they're super beautiful in circumcised form either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I am having a boy and we are going to get him circumcised.  There are a few reasons:
    -Im Jewish
    -DH is circumcised
    -My father had it done in his 20's so he has his stories he tells me and I have a co worker that has an Irish husband and did not get it done for her two boys, at age 12 and 14 they each had to have it done for a medical reason and she said it was not pretty.  She wished she had done it at birth.

I did not give this too much thought, I will just do it because that is what I always thought was right.  DH feels the same way and he is not Jewish.

For people that choose not to, that is their opinion whether to do it or not.  I know it is more common for it not to get done now a days then it used to be.  I will also mention that I have brought it up to a few doctors in my office (including a man) and they are pro circumcision.  They did not go into much detail because I was just curious so I dont know what is behind their answers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

This has all come up before, and no doubt I have said this before. As one of the few males that posts from time to time here, I have to say that I don't know what girls get up to in locker rooms around the country, but when I was in school boys were doing pretty much anything else they could possibly think of before they started checking out each other naked. It simply wasn't on our radar and we really didn't care if the kid next to us was cut or not.

The same applies to our dangly bits looking like our fathers. You can rest assured I honestly couldn't tell you if he is cut or not. Again, that kind of thing simply isn't on a boys radar and even later in life it is not something we sit around a barbeque with a beer talking about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Our DS is... but if it were 100% up to me, he wouldn't be.  Elective surgery with no definite benefits and all that.  However, DH felt strongly that he be cut, and I figured he ought to have final say over his son's manly parts, all else being equal :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Hey there,

we went through this too and ultimately i let my DH make the decision.. DH is not.. but DS is!  go figure.. my DH is one of 3 boys and he was the only one not.  He said that he didn't have any big issues but that he remembers having to clean it more and really get under there.. he said it can smell if not and he remembers going through a period of time where he didn't care but then realized it smelled.. years 10-12 roughly... he said a lot of his friends knew growing up that he wasn't but no one ever gave him a hard time or anything.  He said in retrospect, he kind of wished he had it done like his bros and dad were and so, we opted to get it done for DS in the hospital.  DS is now 3 months..

GL - its definitely a personal decision and I see pros and cons on both side.  I wasn't partial either way..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Did anyone see The Year One? There's a great running gag about circumcision:

- You know, Abe, it's been a long day, we've all had a lot to drink, and I know that this foureskin thing sounds like a good idea now, but you might wanna sleep on it. We can always cut it off in the morning. But if we do it now, there's just no way to get it back on there.
    - No, no, no, trust me, it's gonna be a very, very sleek look. This is gonna catch on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

DH is circ'd, but if we have a boy he is 100% ok with not doing it.

I don't think it's necessary - if anything it's mostly a cosmetic issue - and I'm not sure I need to be doing that for the benefit of a future girlfriend.

Furthermore, I personally know of a few incidents where the skin adhered incorrectly, and the doctor had to separate the skin so it could heal properly.. and that alone is enough to not risk having my child endure that discomfort.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Circumcision?:
    I'm not sure I need to be doing that for the benefit of a future girlfriend.
    Posted by beniceboston

I don't really care one way or the other about circumcision, and I don't have a son. But can you imagine if the circumcision conversation was about girls instead of boys? "We're getting cosmetic surgery for our daughter as soon as she's born, because her privates are naturally dirty and smelly and we're afraid she'll be unattractive to men later on." People would freak!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

I have 2 boys...neither are circumcized as my husband is not.  Wanted them to look like daddy!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

It's funny how if you had posed this question 5-10 years ago I'm sure that the majority of responses would be different.

Our DS is not circumcized.  We felt that there was no medical need to do it.  The only snip that he got as a baby was for his tongue-tie.  I even felt bad about that, but that was necessary to prevent nurisng issues and speech issues later in life.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bricky. Show Bricky's posts

My only advice, make sure you and your husband are in complete agreement one way or another before you go to the hospital.  The hospitals do try to sway you to not do it, I think really for liability purposes. We had both of our boys circumcised. The procedure was not a big deal and the boys hardly noticed but even though we completely agreed to have it done in the hospital, when the moment arrived my husband (who is cir'd) had a hard time. It is hard to look at a brand new baby all swaddled up and want to do it--plus the horomones and emotions are flying and then all the hospital staff is chirping in your ear not to do. I insisted b/c that was the original game plan, Dad was cir'd, and I didn't want to have to put a little boy through the procedure later. Good luck either way you decide.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I'll be happy when the U.S. and our insurers wake up and classify this as a cosmetic procedure because that's all it is.  Reserach on infection and other issues mainly cite studies that were done in sub-Saharan Africa.  Reseach in first world countries that do not regularly practice circumcision do not support circumcizing for medical reasons.

My son is intact.  His father is cut, but he was the one who brought up the topic with me saying that he didn't want our son to be circumcized.  His feeling is that it is unnecessry surgery and there is no reason that he and DS need to look alike.  They look different in lots of other ways...why should cut vs. uncut matter.

As far as the cleanliness factor...well, women kind of smell too.  Just take a whiff after a day of hiking or biking or any other activity.  There is nothing special to do to clean the uncirc'ed pen1s.  As a baby, the glans is still attached to the foresk1n and should not be "messed with".  In the past, many people thought you had to forcibly retract the foresk1n as an infant to clean it, etc. and this is one of the factors that led to problems/scarring which in turn may have led to some of the horror stories you hear about older boys or men needing to be circ'ed later in life.  Once the forsek1n retracts on its own, it's simply a matter of pulling it back the during a shower and giving it a good rinse.  Just like with the vulva, using harsh soaps or cleansers cause trouble by altering the natural fluids.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

We've talked about it and if our baby is a boy, we won't circumcise.  I am not willing to perform any unnecessary procedure on an infant, and I don't see any reason our kid and my husband have to have identical genitals.  Also, my dad is circumcised, my brother is not, and that was never an issue for my brother. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Whats up with you women talking about having your sons look like their daddy by doing this or not? Talk about sick! Since when do your husband and sons whip it out at parties so that people can see the resemblance?

Anyway from a guys perspective, Do it because it makes it easier to clean.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CConnors08. Show CConnors08's posts

Better than having it done later right?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Posted by CConnors08

I just don't get this line of thinking, honestly. Why would my son have to do it later? As I said, DH grew up in a country where circumcision is NOT common. He's never known any family or friends who have had to go through a circumcision as an older child or adult. I swear some of these stories are the circ "urban legend" to scare all of us non-circ'ers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Posted by CConnors08

Does that mean I should also consider options to pre-emptively remove babies appendix, gall bladder, a kidney, tonsils...?

But thanks to all the valuable insights and opinions thus far. Food for thought.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I'm sure it is better than having to do it later--but really, if my son decides that he wants to be circumcised later in life, it is possible to do then.  It doesn't really work that way the other way around.  I'd rather leave him his options.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'll be happy when the U.S. and our insurers wake up and classify this as a cosmetic procedure because that's all it is. 
    Posted by Notanewbie

It's also a religious thing, though. I mean, I don't know much about Judaism, but I think it's an important part of that tradition. I don't know why or what it means, but I know it's a thing.

Sections
Shortcuts