Colic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jstarr. Show jstarr's posts

Colic

My oldest son was colicky when he was born 10 years ago and I will never, ever forget the misery of those weeks. It's awful, but keep in mind that it is temporary (no comfort when you haven't slept in days, I know). If you have ruled out an allergy/sensitivity to milk, try other milk-based formulas before soy as there is some info that's come out in recent years that soy is not so healthy and should be used as a last resort (if at all). I've heard good things about Carnation Good Start.I used both Colic-Ease and Baby Bliss Gripe Water for my younger kids and I swear it works. Neither of them had full-blown colic but whenever they were gassy, these products worked wonders to relieve the gas, calm the digestive tract and let them sleep. Hyland's makes a homeopathic colic tablet as well.For my oldest, we tried a lot of different things and the most effective was to put him in his car seat in the stroller, push the stroller back and forth with my foot (I was sitting in a rocker) and wave a running hair dryer back and forth behind the stoller. If I stopped pushing the stroller or waving the hair dryer he would wake up screaming. We also walked in the stroller, at all hours of they day and night, and drove around, for hours and hours (I mastered sleeping in parking lots with the doors locked).�I've had friends whose children have slept in their car seats for 12+ weeks because once they fell asleep after a walk or a drive, there was no way they would wake them to move to a crib. Keep trying things and something is bound to work, and whatever works, use it until this passes. It will pass. Soon.Good luck,Jen

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb2348. Show jb2348's posts

Colic

HeyCongrats on the little one!� Sorry about the colic...my son was collicy for around 3 months before my wife and I got him figured out (it was our first).� The first thing we did was switch to soy based formula...This helped substantially but not entirely.� Next we switched to Dr Browns bottles, then to Born Free which do not contain harmful materials in the plastic.� Both bottles have these parts that push the air to the bottom of the bottle (so youre little one does not ingest it which causes pain in their little tummies).� These were a life saver...Once we combined soy based formula with a proper bottle, he was in the clear.� �Hope this helps

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sullysgirl. Show sullysgirl's posts

Colic

Hi,���� I am looking for any and all advice possible on what to do for colic.� My second son born 6 weeks ago has colic and it's really been awful.� As of this writing I have been up for about 30 hours with 45 minute naps squeezed in here and there.� I've tried swaddling, pacifiers, rocking, the swing, burping and I'm going through gas drops like they're going out of style and I see little relief.� Does anyone know if gripe water really works?� I'm about to try a soy formula as he's currenly on Enfamil Lipil which is milk based.�Would appreciate any advice.� Thanks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Colic

Maybe you could try switching brands of formula? I've heard from a lot of people that Emfamil makes their kids gassy. I have noticed it with my daughter and it happened with my son too. We lived on little tummies with him. I am going to talk to the Pedi tomorrow about switching formula. Someone told me that Similac was much better. Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from westwitch. Show westwitch's posts

Colic

Hi,

Been there, done that!
    What worked for my son is a combo of things...mostly with sound.
    Running the shower calmed him down (luckily, it was well water at the time)....another is LOUD white noise.
    (similar to running the vacuum on) You can get sound machines that have "bubbly brook" homedic sounds...but most will also offer a "white noise" option. ("Waterfall" works too) Use that and have the volume up loud...place right next to your baby. (don't worry about his hearing, it will be fine...being in the womb is much louder)

Colic is not necessarily as "gas" issue....Dr's are not sure exactly what this is...other than it spans from 6 weeks to 12 weeks...then it stops. Colic is usually 3 hours long in about the same time every day. (my son had it all times during the night, but it did last 3 hours) If it doesn't follow this routine, it might not be colic.
    We did the soy formula too....In my opinion, waste of time and money.

I have an 11-month old girl right now....I'm dealing with teething...something to look forward to.
    Try those and see what happens....it should stop after 12 weeks so hang on till then.

Robin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfmom. Show mfmom's posts

Colic

I went through the same thing when my son (now almost 2 /12) was an infant.� As someone else said, I will never EVER forget the misery and utter exhaustion of those first couple of months.� When he was about 8 weeks, someone recommended Alimentum to us.� We were able to get it covered by insurance with a prescription and letter from our doctor to the insurance company.� There was a noticeable difference within a day or two of him being on the formula.� Try some over the counter first and see if you notice a difference.� It has a pretty strong starchy smell, but it's well worth it.� As the cliche goes, this WILL pass and you will one day enjoy your little one...the way I look at it, it will only make you stronger!� We recently had our second baby, and I was almost paralyzed by fear that we were going to go through that all over again with her.� Thankfully, we did not!� Hang in there!!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenzenz. Show tenzenz's posts

Colic

We went through this several years ago. We found out after several weeks of almost constant crying & lack of sleep, that the baby was allergic to milk. Have the baby tested for allergies

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Colic

Sorry you are dealing with this. I don't have any advice, but to speak to your question about gripe water, my nephew was a little colicky and my sister and BIL swore by gripe water. They gave us some before our baby was born because they said you really should have it on hand, thankfully, we haven't yet had to use it (I hope this stays true). Our Pediatrician also said that many parents swear by it, though there's no scientific evidence that it works. Good luck. I hope your son feels better and lets you get some sleep soon.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

Colic

I once worked with a guy whose baby had such bad colic the daycare wouldn't take him - not only a sanity issue but a financial one when his wife had to decide to leave her job.� They tried everything and then the baby ended up with a diagnosis for acid reflux - as soon as they put him on the medicine he was a dream.� Similar happened to one of my close friends.� Her baby cried and cried and couldn't keep his milk down.� You had to hold him straight up or cottage cheese everywhere.� He was diagnosed with the same thing and give zertec or something similar to what adults take, but in a baby dose.� She was a little nervous about giving it to him, but seeing that he was actually able to keep his food down when he took it made her feel better, and baby too.� Definitely check with the doctor and see what you can do to make baby feel better - you need to be at your best too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from colleenmrn. Show colleenmrn's posts

Colic

Gas drops, Dr. browns Bottles, Soy Milk and time, you will get through this!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcd2003. Show mcd2003's posts

Colic

My daughter had colic, acid reflux and a milk allergy.� I would get an appointment with a GI doctor to see if they can test her for both acid reflux and milk allergy.� Once she was put on medication for the reflux and given the correct formula, she settled down a�LOT easier.� She literally never napped before then.� It was insanity b/c she was also irritable and almost always at ready to be upset during those long stretches.� Very very stressful.� BTW, we didn't figure out that she had the allergy and reflux until she was about 10 weeks old so prior to then we spent many days/nights bouncing on an exercise ball, with a white sound machine on full blast in a completely darkened room with her swaddled.� That was the only thing that worked.� Oh also the sound of a hairdryer would sooth her.� Sounds so crazy now that she is almost 1 years old and so completely different.� Please take heart, once the medication and formula kicked in and she got to be about 14 weeks old it stopped.� She's still high energy, but she's just about the sweetest kid ever.� People ask me if she ever cries?� HUH?� I know that time frame seems forever away, but time really and truly does fly.� Good luck with your little one!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lldald. Show lldald's posts

Colic

Lots of good advice here.� The key: work with your pediatrician and keep a good line of communication open until you find something that helps your baby.For us it was a combination of Alimentum (formula), Prevacid, and Zantac, plus swaddling and lots of "shh shh-ing."� It's tough.� The oven exhaust fan was another trick that worked fairly well, especially when combined with the vibrating bouncy seat.� Sadly, the gripe water was useless for us.� We actually sent it back for a refund.As others have said, it will end.� We were told 12 weeks by others and sure enough, like clockwork, it was over.� Hang in there, let people help when you can.� Sleep whenever you can.�

Sections
Shortcuts