companies with free day care/child care?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from macall. Show macall's posts

companies with free day care/child care?

I noticed that the new top 100 jobs listing came out and was wondering what companies have free or subsidized day care?  Anyone know?
    Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_57587. Show user_57587's posts

Re: companies with free day care/child care?

State Street Bank gives 20 days a year of emergency day care. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Interesting that there was a lot of discussion about free coffee and snacks but not a word about childcare. 

In general, universities and hospitals have had more child care benefits than private companies.  However, like health care, it's become so expensive that what used to be subsidized is now just a contribution, if any, or the ability to pay for it with your own pre-tax dollars.  (which of course is not insignificant...) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Many companies don't offer subsidized childcare in that the tuition is lower if you're an employee, but do have "hidden discounts" in that they offer on-site childcare centers and therefore charge the childcare center a much lower than market rate rent, which then lowers the tuition because overhead is lower. In theory.  It's all pretty expensive!

The following knowledge is based on what USED to be about 6 years ago when I lived there.  Don't know if it's still up-to-date:
    John Hancock has an on-site childcare.
    State Street, Fidelity, Putnam, Hewlett Packard (or is it Agilent now)?, all offer backup childcare.  And many other financial services firms.  Oh, and law firms also offer backup childcare - Wilmerhale (or is it still called Hale and Dorr in Boston?) does, but I don't know of others in Boston but I know they exist. 

Yes, many of the hospitals have on-site childcare. Beth Israel, Deaconess, and Tufts NE Medical Center all used to offer on-site childcare, don't know if they still do.  Oh, and I think Mass General does, or perhaps it's backup childcare only? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I don't know of any companies with free childcare, but I wanted to piggyback on CT-DC's post.  Tufts Medical Center does have a Bright Horizons facilty onsite and they offer employees a 10% discount. However, the price is about 10-20% higher than suburban Bright Horizons, so the discount really doesn't help all that much. As usual, city locations will always be more expensive for childcare.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

John Hancock's day care center is closing at the end of this year.  My daughter, who is now 14, attended there from age 4 months through kindergarten.  It was a great program.  It was probably about the same price as other centers at that time but there was a true advantage to have her within such close proximity.  I was able to spend lunchtime with her and I was only a minute away if there was an issue. 
    Unfortunately, the enrollment has decreased over the years and the company thinks it is better to spend the money of benefits that everyone can take advantage of instead of just a few. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Notanewbie, I can't believe how expensive Bright Horizons is in the city.  The Cambridge location quoted my coworker $2700 a month for 1 infant!  That just seems absurd!

My company offers discounted emergency care (like $10 a day) at a local center, but that's it.  I've heard free, onsite care is a major liability.  At least that's what HR keeps telling us!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Yes, and free onsite childcare only serves those people with children who are younger than 5 yrs of age AND who want to commute with their children AND who can afford a childcare center (which is way more expensive than family childcare or care by a relative) AND who want their child in a group situation (vs. one on one, with relatives, etc.)

And all the employees with children over 5 years of age (or with adult children or with no children) have an equity issue with the amount of $ spent on something for relatively few employees. 

So backup, emergency childcare that can enroll children from infants to 12 years of age is a better equity issue because it serves a much wider segment of the company's employees. 

How sad that Hancock's childcare center is closing - that playground was great, I remember walking by it. 

And I taught at the BH at Tufts New England Medical Center lo those many years ago....  when it was in the former location not where it is now.... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

My employer (a college) has a childcare center.  I would say the rates are lower than other area centers but not as low as home daycare.  Food is not included which some parents are not happy with.  I am very happy with the care however and am thrilled with having it so close.  Plus, knowing my employer helps me trust the Center.  Also, having the college students involved as interns keeps things fresh and allows for lower ratios and more curriculum development.  I have been able to serve on the Center's board and I do know some of the comps in the area and with other colleges.  Some college daycares are pretty expensive!  Not sure how it fares for medical center daycare, but I was surprised that some employer-run daycare centers are just as expensive if not more than other chain daycares.  I think there just aren't many "deals" when it comes to finding good, quality daycare, especially if you are favoring a center format.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

I know that Commerce Insurance offers one and so does TJX in Framingham.   Commerce you have to pay but it is a great center, TJX - not sure.   Staples does the 10% off at Bright Horizons as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from akmom. Show akmom's posts

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account.  It's money taken out of your paycheck before taxes, that can be used for daycare, afterschool care, and/or summer camps.  It's a great benefit that can be used for whatever kind of care you choose - a center, a home daycare, or a nanny.  Some employers also offer matching funds, so they are paying for some small portion of your childcare.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

My employer, a hospital in the medical area, does have child care on site, but it's not any cheaper than most childcare centers in the area, and the wait list is so long that you'd have to sign up before you even conceived for an infant spot (either that or get incredibly lucky).  We were just offered a toddler spot for our DD who is 19 months old and we had been on the wait list since I was 4 months pregnant.  DD is in a center closer to home since we commute by train and subway/shuttle bus (plus a walk for DH) and there would be no way for us to manage that with her.  Plus parking costs are so exorbitant that the total cost would be ridiculous.

Both our employers do offer the dependent care account, and DH's employer offers matching funds, but the federal max you can get is $5000, total (including both what you pay and what employer gives).  It is still quite helpful to have this though.  DH's employer offers a 10% discount with Kindercare Centers/Knowldege Beginnings.  Both our employers also offer back up childcare and parents in a pinch.

Sections
Shortcuts