Do you buy your kids these sugary treats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

I buy some of these. My son absolutely loves gogurt.
    And I try to be careful about their snacks...ugh

http://www.boston.com/Boston/dailydose/2012/02/kids-sugar-intake-still-too-high-watch-out-for-these-hidden-sources/zJpozw6ghXxbpWWA0DqvCL/index.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Re: Do you buy your kids these sugary treats?

The key word is "treats."   We have that kind of thing occasionally, and I don't let it replace real food--if you are hungry when you come home from school you are going to have cheese and crackers or a piece of fruit or a sandwich, not three chocolate chip granola bars.  But there is a place for some extras in the diet of active kids who eat all the food groups.

I don't buy go-gurt because the tube-wrappers end up as a sticky mess, but fruity yogurt is an occasional dessert after a real meal.  I let them eat Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs on vacation and have non-sugary cereal the other 50 weeks of the year.  One small Gatorade or fruit punch on Saturday after basketball practice or the odd Slurpee on a hot afternoon, no big deal. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Re: Do you buy your kids these sugary treats?

To be honest, no. But my oldest is a type 1 diabetic, so that's kind of directed our food choices over the last two years -- although, even before that, probably not. Knowing my husband was a cookies-and-milk kind of dad, I always tried to desugar the kids wherever possible.

I did buy gogurt recently -- it was on sale AND I had a coupon -- and my kids were over the moon! Kind of grosses me out, so I would only get it occasionally. 

There is *so* much hidden sugar in food -- out of necessity I've become an obsessive label reader, and am always surprised. "There's sugar in THAT???"