Do you eat while you shop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: Do you eat while you shop?

From what I read the woman and her husband both ate a sandwhich.  Neither paid.  Do I think they should have been arrested so that the child was taken away?  No.  But I have a feeing that this couple has done this before and the store was trying to show them that it's wrong.  This is why one should not eat in a supermarket.  It's also setting a bad example for your children.  What if you left your wallet at home?  Now you can't pay for anything. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dakaygees. Show dakaygees's posts

They stole some thing that was not theirs and they should pay the price.  This thing about them forgetting to pay is a bunch of you know what.  I bet from now on they nor their kids will never eat in a supermarket.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jphopstep2. Show jphopstep2's posts

If I use the scanner at stop and shop, I feel like I have paid for it, so I do let my kids have a snack. this is in plain sight of the worker's. I have never had a problem with this. If I do not have a scanner, I will present the empty package for scanning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hibernian15. Show Hibernian15's posts

When I was a kid and I went grocery shopping with Mom, if I was a good helper, I could get a box of animal crackers (it was a red single serving box with circus animals on the side. Anyone remember those?). It was my choice to eat them then or wait until later but if I ate them, I had to hold onto the box and hand it to the cashier so she could scan it. That was the rule and I think it's ok for kids to see that.

I've done it occasionally as an adult; been in the store and realized I am starving, so I grab a Luna bar or something and eat it. But again, I keep the wrapper and have them scan it so I pay for it. I don't think it's right to eat fruit and things that need to weighed. Plus, that stuff needs to be washed first!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

The store manager may have been compelled by company policy to call the police (and not allowed to exercise judgment); the police should have exercised better judgment in actually taking them into custody.  What a waste of resources - they would have had to call child protective services, take up space in a holding cell, et cetera.  HUGE waste of resources.  Unless, as others have mentioned, there is something missing from the story.

Lissa - I would pay money for the service of having a list of planned meals and the corresponding grocery list.  I can cook just fine and we like healthy food, but I am a planning failure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from momoftwoboston. Show momoftwoboston's posts

Yes, but we always pay for it.   I send the wrappers through the scanner just like the rest of my food. Anyone with kids (especially more than one) knows a good shopping experience involves the kids being occuppied. Most bakerys will give the kids a free cookie. If I want them to eat something with less sugar, I pick up something and pay for it on my way out.  You are either honest or your not, that is really what this discussion is all about.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: Do you eat while you shop?:
    THe thing that makes me think the story has more to it is the fact that both parents were shopping together and this still happened.  If I felt sick/dizzy from hunger or my daughter was being cranky and my husband was with us I'd just take DD and grab the sandwich, buy it and sit outside the store and eat it while he finished up the groceries.  All of the examples people are giving of times they've opened food in the store occurred when the parent was alone and didn't have the option of removing the kid from the situation without leaving the groceries unshopped.  I think most of us if we had our partner right there with us would roll our eyes hand over the list and the keys, grab the kid, and haul her out of there. 
    Posted by lissafro

Why? Is the father incapable of shopping with/feeding a small child?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I would pay money for the service of having a list of planned meals and the corresponding grocery list.  I can cook just fine and we like healthy food, but I am a planning failure.
    Posted by medfordcc

Here's a book that gives you what I think you're looking for (and gets 5 stars with 35 reviews):  A Year of Weekly Planned Meals 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Calling Donna Reed!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

jphopstep2 what if you realize you have forgotten your wallet?  Now you can't pay for any of hte groceries.  It can happen to the best of people.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PrincessLuna. Show PrincessLuna's posts

I never eat when I shop.  Tacky and Classless.  But I will say...22 years ago when I was grocery shopping with an infant strapped to my chest and a 2 year old in the carriage I would give the toddler a bagel to chew on and the charming cashier at Roche Bros was more than glad to ring up the bagel and I was more than glad to pay for it.  No big deal.  I'm so tried of everything getting blown out of proportion...Its exhausting. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: Do you eat while you shop? : Why? Is the father incapable of shopping with/feeding a small child?
    Posted by reindeergirl

Huh?  In the article it says the mother was tired and hungry and she ate the sandwich.  That's why I said if I were tired and hungry and my kid was cranky I'd take her and we'd go outside and both eat if I had my partner there to continue shopping.  Obviously he's capable of shopping and caring for a kid but if the kid and I are the ones that need to go eat it wouldn't make sense for him to keep her hungry in the carriage while I go eat a sandwich or for him to take her outside to eat while I languish, famished with my carriage. 

The point of my post was I felt like since there were 2 parents involved in the situation they had more options than a single parent would and should have maybe taken one of the other options besides both eating and continuing to shop.  The fact that they didn't seem to make the most pragmatic decision (at least from the information presented in the article) leads me to believe there might have been other factors at play.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Calling Donna Reed!
    Posted by reindeergirl

Donna Reed, wife in It's a Wonderful Life or Donna Reed, prostitute in From Here to Eternity?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Pingo--I didn't think that your post was aimed at me, but I responded anyway because it's so true.  I know that I'm the first teacher of my kids and they do get conditioned and used to something pretty easily when the pattern repeats.  No offense taken or hard feelings here, I wasn't being defensive, I just know that there are some things that I do with my kids where I realize that I'll pay for it later.  :-)

Reindeer--I make my DH's lunch every day and I make dinner most every night while he plays with the kids/does something manly (whatever he's doing with insulation in the attic these days I have no idea).  However, he reciprocates in many ways and hangs out with the kids while I run or go to the gym or any other thing that I like to do.  I don't think that anyone should judge whatever division of responsibilities that a couple shares.  Even if it may look inequitable from the outside, it's whether or not the couple truly loves each other that really matters.  

Congrats Kar on your anniversary (and thanks for the link to that book!  It's going in my amazon cart as we speak)!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Oh and thanks Lissa because I had no idea who Donna Reed was.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Some-guy,
    I like your reply a lot! This is exactly, what should have happened with the family in question, if they truly 'forgot' ?
    Your reply indicates, that you agree with several of us, that this arrest was way out of proportion - unless there is more to the story. - Pingo

In Response to Re: Do you eat while you shop? : If my kids did this, they would be made to stand up and take the punishment.  I teach my kids right from wrong. I don't care if you 'forgot' to pay, or if you thought you could get away with it. It's still something used but not paid for. This is a fantastic learning example for kids - pay attention to what you're doing at all times. The world is a mean place, there's not always a free pass just because you got distracted or forgot something.
    Posted by some-guy

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

----Pingo and kargiver - It's 2011. Time for the DHs to cut their own darned apple slices. Heck, my Mum (also European, like Pingo) didn't do that in 1961.----

Thank you Alf and Kar, you replied better, than could ever have done. No need for me to add anything.
    And lissa, I love your Donna Reed reply. Made me chuckle.
     - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Lostgrouse.  I find it strange that anyone would criticize people for doing daily kindnesses for their spouses.  And, I have that book in my cart, too!  I find meal planning to be stressful.  Healthy, tasty, and infinitely varied meals are hard to come up with day after day.

ETA:  Oh, and the Donna Reed comment was another attempt at an insult (as if anyone actually is capable of insulting us for having solid marriages filled with acts of kindness and love).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Kar-- it must be directed at the prostitute side of us all.  Ha!  If you get the book before I do (I do have amazon prime) let me know if it's worth it.  I'm going to look it over more tonight and make a decision.  I've been in meal plateau land these days.  I can use all the help I can get!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'm guessing the Donna Reed comment was directed at the fact that you were - gasp- planning meals!  B/C heaven forbid that you plan in advance what you all are going to eat.  Not only does it save money, but it's healthier for everyone. But a MAN might benefit from that advance planning and that's bad!  If men aren't taking care of themselves 100%, women must be being subjugated. Never mind that in many families it might be the man who is going to end up shopping or cooking for the family.... There's a chance that a woman might actually do something domestically-related for a man, and that's BAD!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

Lostgrouse - I heard that a TJ's was going in right down the street from me (Middleboro). I can't seem to confirm if it is just another warehouse or a real store though. I really like Southeastern MA because I don't like the feeling of living right on top of your neighbors like where I grew up (north of boston). BUT - unless you are on the coast there are practically no good restaurants and the grocery stores are truly limited.

In regard to the question - I don't eat while I am in a grocery store unless they are giving free samples. I don't care if other people do, because it is not me. Of course I understand that if people are stealing food then the downstream impact is higher prices for us all. But I try to believe most people are generally good people and anyone walking out of the store w/out paying probably did so unintentionally. If not, karma is a B.

In regard to the story of the pregnant woman, I think we all agree on three things: 1. there is more here than what is reported. 2. RG is just trying to stir the pot, in a very sad way. and 3. some-guy is HARDCORE.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

RDG - Your comments on this thread sounds like you don't like men very much. So sad. - Pingo

In Response to Re: Do you eat while you shop? : Why? Is the father incapable of shopping with/feeding a small child?
    Posted by reindeergirl

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: Do you eat while you shop? : Donna Reed, wife in It's a Wonderful Life or Donna Reed, prostitute in From Here to Eternity ?
    Posted by lissafro

Donna Reed from The Donna Reed Show.

Sections
Shortcuts